Another first

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I went up Poudre Canyon to a section called..... well, maybe I shouldn't say, and you'll understand soon I'm sure.

Man, since I got that second thought about not saying where exactly I was fishing, it changed everything about my opening statement.

O.k., I was fishing the Poudre, and with the smoke from the California fires somewhat choking out the sun, I figured dry fly action was the way to go. It started out good with three good hits, but I lost everyone of those fish. But no worries, the day was still young.

I was using a favorite fly that has proven very well on this river, the Renegade #14, and it did well. I was catching a lot of smaller fish, around 8 inches or so with an occasional bigger fish to keep it exciting. But I also had many refusals so I changed to a Delaware Adams. This fly like to float high on the surface, and it floats well making it easy to see. It was doing a fine job bringing up fish from deeper slick areas and riffles. But it wasn't like what was yet to come.

I moved up river to where a boulder sat in the middle of the river creating a big pocket behind it. I stood on a nearby rock and I was shocked by the show I was witnessing. There were fish rising to the surface all over this pocket with authority. Some were coming completely out of the water going after whatever it was that I couldn't see. I watched awhile then decided to join the festivities. I offered them the Delaware Adams, but they just came up slapping it out of the way. Hmmm. I figured whatever they were after I had to do my best to imitate. The smallest fly I had was a #20 Adams, so I tied it on and offered it up. BAM!!! That didn't take long. I couldn't see my fly on the water, and when the fish took it I was lucky enough to feel the weight of it before I set the hook. I was able to see the fish rise, splash taking the fly and go down again. I figured if I saw the fish rise and see the splash, then wait till I see it go down before I set the hook on the next fish I catch. I love it when a plan comes together.

This was like a turkey shoot, or better yet, shooting fish in a barrel. As soon as the fly hit the water I was able to locate it by lifting the rod tip and following the leader down to the tippet, and then to the fly. Fish were nailing this fly with such aggression, it was a blast. I would catch a fish, let it go, wait for the pocket to calm down a bit and cast again finding another willing fish to put a bend in my rod. Then it happened. I caught a very nice brookie. This is the first brookie I caught out of the Poudre, and what a blessing it was. Earlier this year I caught my first cutthroat out of here, and now a brookie. I read on the signs they were here, but never caught any till this year. I don't know how many fish I pulled out from behind that boulder, I think 8, but I took photo's of the best ones. It's hard keeping them wet while taking photo's by myself, but the net helps.

20180801_134946.jpg

20180801_133332.jpg

20180801_132500.jpg

20180801_132428.jpg

20180727_121624.jpg

There were more, but I can only post five photo's for some reason. But it was a great afternoon, and I do plan on returning to this spot again. Now you see why I didn't say where on the river I was at.

samanich

Reaction score
Some great fish there, Scotty! Were all of those from behind that same boulder? If so, it's wild to me that 1) they're all that size, and 2) that the different species are all hanging out together.

I'm excited to catch my first brown and rainbow on the fly. So far just brookies and cuts for me. Great little story.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Firm handshake, Scotty! Well fished.
You could try for a sporting 'trouty' MacNab - A Brown, a Brookie and a Cutty from one river in one day. ;)

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Some great fish there, Scotty! Were all of those from behind that same boulder? If so, it's wild to me that 1) they're all that size, and 2) that the different species are all hanging out together.

I'm excited to catch my first brown and rainbow on the fly. So far just brookies and cuts for me. Great little story.
All but the rainbows were behind that boulder. The rainbows were caught down river a bit. But the browns and brookie were all there.

It would have been amazing to add a cutthroat to the mix, but it just wasn't in the cards I guess. Maybe tomorrow.

plecain

Reaction score
Looks like quite a day. It's not often you get to catch so many different varieties.
Here's hoping for many more.

sab_0010

Reaction score
Nice fishing Scotty. It's not often that you find a spot like that. I am lucky to pull 2 fish from the same hole, let alone 8 and of different varieties.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words friends.

I'm tying up some small flies right now and plan on returning there again tomorrow. Now that I have said that, should I expect a caravan behind me as I look in my rear view mirror? :D

JoJer

Reaction score
I caught one of those days years ago on the river here in town. Wide, slow, deep, dark water. I saw a nervous patch and an occasional nose. The patch was about 3 ft wide and six feet long. I fished thru it and lost count. A hit on every cast on any small dark dry fly. Whitefish taking dry flys? Yep. Neat though: I had a constant audience on the foot bridge behind me and I didn't fall on my face.