Colorado in the winter

slowdive

Reaction score
Hello,
I am thinking of trying to get out to colorado to fish in Jan, but was wondering if it would be worth the money to drive there if fishing is going to be off. Well I am not sure where to go and fish! Any help would be awesome...

thansk

liv2fish

Reaction score
Can't tell you exactly how it will be but you can def. catch fish throughout the year in CO. I didn't fish this past winter b/c I was skiing too often but the year before I fished quite a bit throughout the winter. If you know what a "tailwater" is, they will all produce fish. Its a section of river coming out of a damn below a res. The Blue and Taylor would be my recommendations. Sections of the S. Platte as well. Some very BIG fish can be caught in these tailwaters on very nasty days. Catching fish on tiny dries while its snowing is even a possability. If you have any specific questions feel free to let me know and I'll try to help.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Another option would be the Frying Pan, its located by the town of Basalt, just south of Glenwood Springs, CO. It will provide good winter fishing and if your into skiing Aspen and Snowmass are just down the road.

Larry

slowdive

Reaction score
Thanks for the help... I am trying to plan something now so I can safe some cash to get there... I will keep you posted and I am sure I will be picking your brains for some inside knowledge.

yatahey

Reaction score
Can't tell you exactly how it will be but you can def. catch fish throughout the year in CO. I didn't fish this past winter b/c I was skiing too often but the year before I fished quite a bit throughout the winter. If you know what a "tailwater" is, they will all produce fish. Its a section of river coming out of a damn below a res. The Blue and Taylor would be my recommendations. Sections of the S. Platte as well. Some very BIG fish can be caught in these tailwaters on very nasty days. Catching fish on tiny dries while its snowing is even a possibility. If you have any specific questions feel free to let me know and I'll try to help.
All Liv2fish's advice is good.
If I were to add anything, it would be that winter fishing in Colorado can be very difficult due to the lethargic nature of fish in the colder water. Your presentation must be totally right on and your choice of fly is also very important. The take or strike is also very subtle so sight fishing is usually your best bet. Watch for opening mouths or slight movement of the fish in the direction of your fly. Strike indicators are a must also.
Fish in winter tailwaters will not move far to get food.
Hope this helps.

Rebscott

Reaction score
If you take the advice of someone who said to try the tailwater below Taylor, you can also hit the roughly mile of open tailwater below Blue Mesa Dam called the "Pine Creek Area." I only add that because you'd be in the general Gunnison area anyway if you're fishing Taylor. Because of the Dept. of Homeland Security, you can no longer fish right up to the base of Blue Mesa Dam itself but rather have to stop about a quarter of a mile below the dam. The Pine Creek area is found by driving west out of Gunnison past Blue Mesa reservoir (Colorado's largest reservoir)and then take a right 3/4 of a mile past the dam. Bring some streamers too.

montanagal

Reaction score
If you don't mind paying to access private land, you can get into some big fish in winter at Boxwood ranch (I think that's the name.) You have to pay for a guide/access but it can be a lot of fun and they have a warming shelter which makes a long day very possible.

I agree that the Frying Pan is another great winter river in CO as another poster indicated.

Montanagal