Colorado biologists rediscover trout long thought to be extinct.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I think it's just awesome that they still exist after all this time. I'm very happy they were able to save as many as they did, and hopefully that specie will thrive once more.

el jefe

Reaction score
I think it's just awesome that they still exist after all this time. I'm very happy they were able to save as many as they did, and hopefully that specie will thrive once more.
I don't know my sub-species of fish very well. I can tell a Rainbow from a Brown from a Cutthroat from a Brookie, but I couldn't tell you the difference between a Colorado Greenback Cutthroat and a Detroit River Cutthroat. (OK, I made up that last one.) And I've always been skeptical of biologists claiming that some species is "gone," especially if it is attributed to recent history, for two reasons. First, the doom-and-gloomers are often wrong, and shout from the rooftops that some species has gone extinct or is on the brink, because bad news makes headlines and advances causes. Second, how do they know? The wilds are a pretty big place, and that's an awful lot of territory to cover to prove a negative. So I just put everything back as a policy, to live another day, and propagate. Maybe that Cutthroat I caught was a rare one; I don't know. When biologists have to start getting samples from the Smithsonian to compare the genetic strains of thought-to-be-extinct species to a current catch, I'm darn sure not going to be able to sort it out in my net. And as proof of my thinking, they were wrong on this species, and have been wrong for a while, so there you go. Accordingly, I play it conservatively.