Southwest Montana boondocking

jbcissell

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are headed to Southwest Montana on Friday. We're going to be in our campervan and planning to stay on National Forest Service land. We usually stay at a friend's house in Ennis so I'm familiar with that area. I'm not for sure the exact route we're taking yet. I think we're going to drive in on the beartooth highway and come through the Lamar Valley. I may stop and fish the Lamar or just keep coming west. I've been looking at the map and trying to fish places to stay in the van. I'm really thinking of heading over to the Dillon area. I'm hoping I can find less crowded fishing there. Anyone have any recommended areas in the forests for camping?

Thanks,

Josh

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

kevind62

Reaction score
Google Earth has some good satellite shots of the area. You can use Google Maps too but it doesn't zoom in quite as close as Google Earth.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Josh

You will come into YNP thru Cooke City, there are some NF camping in that area and as you come into the park the road follows Soda Butte Creek so be sure to wet a line there, usually it won't be very crowded. You also will cross Pebble Creek and Slough Creek, both worth a stop.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Pebble creek and Slough Campgrounds are fairly popular. I seem to find that Slough Creek fills up first. Both locations are by far the best spots in the park if your sole purpose is fishing or watching wildlife in the Lamar Valley. There are some NF campgrounds before you enter the park. There are also some secluded spots on NF land around the Bear tooth highway. If you exit the park through the West Entrance you can find Beaver Creek Campground between the lakes. Great fishing and close to the wade section on the Madison.

lightline

Reaction score
In the Dillon area, there's camping up toward Melrose along the Big Hole river. Forest Service and fishing access sites. One close to Melrose. There's a campground right out of Dillon just a few miles south on I-15 at a place called Barretts. On the Beaverhead. Free. Also free camping at Clark Canyon Dam on the Beaverhead about 10 minutes above Dillon (further south on I-15). I camp there a lot. Its free, with restrooms, fire rings, picnic tables, and even some shade shelters. I can't believe its still free after all these years, but its the best camping deal in Montana that I've found. Showers at Barretts or KOA in Dillon this time of year. Fly shop at Clark Canyon, sometimes maybe? That area gets a lot of fishing pressure on both rivers, but less this time of year than summer.

I'm leaving Saturday for a 5-week trip that will include Dillon a time or two if the weather gets right. (cloudy with showers). Starting on Henry's Fork first, most likely.

jbcissell

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch everyone. Depending on what time we get in the area, we may stay in the nf around the beartooth highway. Beaver creek was my go to since I know that area. We probably won't spend too much time in the park. My wife only has felt wading boots and we'll have our dog with us. If anyone is in the area we'll be in a white promaster van with an ac on top. Stop in a say hi.

jbcissell

Reaction score
Pebble creek and Slough Campgrounds are fairly popular. I seem to find that Slough Creek fills up first. Both locations are by far the best spots in the park if your sole purpose is fishing or watching wildlife in the Lamar Valley. There are some NF campgrounds before you enter the park. There are also some secluded spots on NF land around the Bear tooth highway. If you exit the park through the West Entrance you can find Beaver Creek Campground between the lakes. Great fishing and close to the wade section on the Madison.
If I go up the forest service road that follows beaver creek is it worth fishing?

Last edited:

h2ofishfloatski

Reaction score
If you are looking at the Dillon area, you are looking for sites within Beaverhead/ Deerlodge Natl Forest and as kevind62 mentioned, google earth will help you pinpoint some sites. Also, freecamping.net might give you some other ideas for the area. On the Big Hole River north of Dillon there are a couple free sites that are nice, managed by Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks. One is at Glen and the other is Notch Bottom. FWP also has an access with camping on the Beaverhead at Barrets Station south of Dillon, but it is right adjacent to the Interstate. There is dispersed camping at Clark Canyon Reservoir. I'll also PM you an idea for between Cooke City and Dillon.

jbcissell

Reaction score
If you are looking at the Dillon area, you are looking for sites within Beaverhead/ Deerlodge Natl Forest and as kevind62 mentioned, google earth will help you pinpoint some sites. Also, freecamping.net might give you some other ideas for the area. On the Big Hole River north of Dillon there are a couple free sites that are nice, managed by Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks. One is at Glen and the other is Notch Bottom. FWP also has an access with camping on the Beaverhead at Barrets Station south of Dillon, but it is right adjacent to the Interstate. There is dispersed camping at Clark Canyon Reservoir. I'll also PM you an idea for between Cooke City and Dillon.
Thanks a bunch!

ramjet

Reaction score
Not sure if this is where you're interested in, or if you have flexibility, but I have done some dispersed camping along the "Pioneer Mountain Scenic Byway" which is upstream of Wise River. It was a few years ago, I think I left the Dillon area and came in from the South on Hwy 278.

jbcissell

Reaction score
Not sure if this is where you're interested in, or if you have flexibility, but I have done some dispersed camping along the "Pioneer Mountain Scenic Byway" which is upstream of Wise River. It was a few years ago, I think I left the Dillon area and came in from the South on Hwy 278.
We are flexible. I'll check that out. Thanks

hopescooter

Reaction score
Just got back from 10 days in southwestern montana, drove through the beartooth highway from MT to wyoming side, will pm you a spot i stayed at just outside the park.
btw drive slow and keep an eye out, i saw 4 grizzlies in a group cross the road in front of me in beartooth highway, such an awesome spectacle.