The Lion's Den

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I work with a guy who has a fly rod, and has had this rod for two years now and has never used it. I know, it's a sin, right? We have been talking fishing for awhile and I finally talked him into getting the rod out and cast the dust off of it. So we made plans to go fish, and he could finally learn how this sport is done. At least enough to get him started. I kept wondering and thinking because of the water levels lately being so low, where could I take him to where he'd have a good shot at a fish and learn a little about reading the water. He's an active cyclist who does a lot of mountain biking, and he says he is near streams a lot while riding and would like to learn a little bit about fishing, so while he's riding, he could stop for a bit and fish.
Well, it hit me. The Lions Den. I picked him up early that Saturday morning, and as we went up the canyon I explained to him where we were going and why. After spewing coffee all over himself he said in a low mono toned voice, " you don't like me very much, do you." I politely answered, "nope." I told him if he didn't feel comfortable going in the Den, we could fish the main river, but he was very much up to it, which impressed me.

We got our gear on, and started across the river and the first thing we see on the sandy bank near the opening of the Den were fresh lion tracks. They looked like they were just made minutes before we arrived, so we figured it saw us and left. But to where? I asked if he wanted to change his mind, and he said the way it's starting out, this could be exciting, so we went in. We weren't in the mouth of this tributary more than 50 feet and I hear my friend say, "bear." I stopped, walked over to him, looked up the mountain and there it was, just slowly walking uphill about 50 yards from us, just minding it's own business. Good size too it was. Looked to be close to 300lbs. That makes four bears for me this year. I think it's fantastic.

We hiked in for 30 minutes and came to a spot where I could get him in the water and do some casting practice. I pointed out a long seam of current coming between two rocks and showing him where to cast the fly. I sent the fly upstream and explained as he watched me stripping in line while lifting the rod tip. I had a take, but I missed it. I asked if he saw the little splash that came out of nowhere, and he said he did, and it surprised him. I said that's what you look for. So he came in and tried casting, and you know how it is with a new comer, so I'll spare you the details. But he did improve a few minutes later.

I took him to a pool where I knew he'd get a fish. I told him where to cast, and as soon as the fly hits the water to lift the rod tip to help stop any drag and give the fly a natural drift. He did just that. It was like slow motion, but we watched a fish slowly rise up to the fly and sip it in. As soon as the fish went down I told him to set the hook. He did it perfectly. That rainbow was going all over the place, and the highlight was seeing my friend smile as the fish jumped twice out of the water. He stripped in the line and he held the fish gently, still in the water and quickly plucked out the hook. And the peasants rejoiced.

I stayed with him till he felt comfortable enough to be on his own. He was bringing fish up, but with his excitement, he would set the hook too fast and miss. I told him to say hot dog or fish on, then set it.

I went on up ahead and was walking through this beautiful grassy meadow at the base of the mountain, with pine trees spread here and there, and I was admiring the beautiful scenery and thinking to myself what a lovely place for a cabin. I began fishing and knocking them dead out of the rocky pockets. As I was releasing a nice brown, I looked behind me and my friend was there smiling giving me the thumbs up. He said he just walked through a grassy meadow and kept watching behind him in case a lion was stalking him. I said I walked through the same meadow and was thinking what a nice spot for a cabin. Amazing how different two people's opinions about a certain spot can be.

All in all, by the time we finished, it was a good day. My friend learned some things, and seems to be hooked on fly fishing. He wants to come back and try again. Afterwards, we went to a Scottish Pub in town and we celebrated his catching a fish with a few pints.

Once again, the peasants rejoiced.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Good story Scotty,

I had a place where I took a guy to catch his first trout long ago, he then fished with me for 24 years and became my best friend. I hope you've made a best friend with this sharing of a spot you did. Musta been a good week for bears, I haven't seen a brown bear for years until this past Monday when I came upon one of about 450.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words friends.

Did you notice I didn't say exactly where this place was? Its become my favorite place to fish & I have only seen one small group of fishermen fish the mouth of this tributary. As for going in farther, I haven't seen any signs of humans. Its nice to fish an area that's not trashed.

My friend also promised to keep the place a secret.

bumble54

Reaction score
Every time someone does a good deed, however trivial it may seem, the world becomes a nicer place, well done. :)

reels

Reaction score
Great story and nice work getting your buddy hooked up and a bit educated!

People are always talking about watching out for bears, but the cats are what make me nervous. Those things will have your neck in their jaw before you even hear them coming!

If you're talking about the same place I'm thinking, I almost went into that "lion den" with my dog. Luckily someone warned me about all the cat activity before hand so I never ended up going.

JoJer

Reaction score
Gee, in the movies, the big cats always snarl or roar well before they pounce. Who'da thunk it?

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Well, the good news is, because of the snow we had earlier, it has raised the water level just a bit, and he asked if we could make another trip back in the Lions Den. How could I say no? The weather is nice, and they are calling for rain on Wed., so we are going to make another trip.