Strong Start of Colorado Snow Pack

J

joe_strummer

Yep much better than last year so far. We've had snow on the ground for weeks and ice fishing on the pond for a couple weeks outside Estes. Burning propane faster this year too -- one of those good news/bad news things. So much better than last year which I recall spending mainly waiting for a day not in the 60s for some pheasant hunting out east.

zjory

Reaction score
Looking great! All my colleagues are complaining about spring getting here, and I’m excited that I’ll be able to fish in October this year.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Glad I invested in a pontoon for Stillwater last year, it’ll keep me entertained during the extended runoff that appears forthcoming!

J

joe_strummer

First boat ramps should be opening right about now. C'mon let's get some ice out. Boats are waiting.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Colorado looks to have an actual run-off coming this year. I am still stunned at the snow everywhere around. I travel CO, WY, UT and ID for work and the snow levels are crazzzy! I was just in Southeast idaho and it is under the snow big time! I was down in Colorado a month ago and fished up on the Pan and we had to climb up and over the massive snow banks to get to the river. Although we fished the lower CO as well and it was great access and the water was perfect... the fish are very happy.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Just saw this on the news. The first 7 days of March there have been 224 avalanches in Colorado. And over 1800 this winter. :shocked: The water content of the snow this year is high. Agree with above posts time to get floatation geared up for lakes. It's going to be a long, high runoff.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Its really great to see Colorado getting so much snow this season, especially considering how bad last season was. All those lakes and reservoirs should be filling up come spring.

el jefe

Reaction score
Expect a long and robust runoff. Snow pack ended up being above normal for entire state. Especially the southern part of the state that had been in severe and exceptional drought. And it is still snowing in the high country. Southern mountains expecting an additional 10-20".

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/states/co/snow/state/daily/co_update_snow.pdf
This is awesome!! I was up at the San Juan this weekend, and got a look at the mountains in southern CO during my drive, and there is still a lot of snow in the high country. It has also been very cool, which helps the water go into the rivers, instead of the air. Further, we haven't gotten the traditional spring winds, which also keeps the snowmelt going into the river rather than the air. It's been kind of a wacky spring, and I love it. It's also keeping the folks away from the San Juan, which is bad for the businesses up there, but good if you like to fish less crowded waters.

myt1

Reaction score
What's a good guess when the run-off will be over and things will be fishable?

I have a trip to southern Colorado planned for mid July and now I'm worried things might still be in run-off phase.

gunnison_country

Reaction score
Rick-
Two years ago places like the Lake Fork in southwestern Colorado weren't fishable until July 11th. We have much more snow at this time than we had 2 years ago. I think in my neck of the woods, things may not be fishable until late July. I'm planning on not doing much big water fishing until the end of July. Wish it weren't so...Doug

gunnison_country

Reaction score
Dayum! I'm going to Almont/Gunnison this weekend to fish. What are my options?
The Taylor C&R is giving up some big fish right now. And since its been cool the last couple of days, you can theoretically fish the Gunny and maybe even the Lake Fork, but your expectations should be tempered A LOT. Good luck to you. Doug

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm amazed at the amount of snow that Colorado has received this winter. Once runoff starts, I wonder how long it will last on the Gunny?

hubby11

Reaction score
The Taylor C&R is giving up some big fish right now. And since its been cool the last couple of days, you can theoretically fish the Gunny and maybe even the Lake Fork, but your expectations should be tempered A LOT. Good luck to you. Doug
Thanks. I have a float reserved for the Gunnison, but if the river does not cooperate that might not happen. We planned this months ago knowing with the time of year it would likely be hit and miss, with the Taylor being our fallback. Actually we are staying right on the Taylor (about 1000yds down river from Harmel's). Although I would not mind catching a monster mysis shrimp-engorged mutant rainbow, I would be just as happy hitting a smaller lesser known mountain stream and taking 12" browns. Spring Creek maybe.

Last edited: