Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default Re: Possible Relocation to Montana!

Larry,
    I have backpacked and fly fished the Wind River Range and am of the opinion that Wyoming is right up there with Montana!

Regards,
    Mr. Fishunt
    Last edited by mrfishunt; 03-09-2019 at 03:41 PM.

2. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: Possible Relocation to Montana!

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Nix: I'm jealous, I love Helena, I have fished the Land of the Giants twice and absolutely love that area.
    That area was once a well kept secret. Too bad, it's overrun with yahoo's in jet sleds now.

4. Likes WildTroutDFO, mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    That area was once a well kept secret. Too bad, it's overrun with yahoo's in jet sleds now.
    I concur with this statement

6. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Good choice.

I live in Helena. It's a nice small town with great access to lots of water. Mrs Nix and I love it here. Winters are mild (in a relative way) and, while Helena is becoming a bit more crowded, it hasn't reached the crazy levels of crowding one sees in Bozeman and Missoula. You can expect a very nice quality of life here.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance with your move.

p.s. I fish year-round. 'Fish', not 'Catch'.
    What was the air temp this morning in Helena? I heard -25 from someone...

Helena is a nice town, for sure. The surrounding strip mall sprawl on the approach sucks, but that is absolutely everywhere now. Missoula is growing so fast it makes my head spin. We moved out of the city 5 years ago and the only time I miss it is when I'm hankering for some social life. There is a lot of fun stuff in Missoula. But the next 5 years are going to change the place in a big way.

Helena might be my town of choice if I were 20 years younger and had it to do again. I love Missoula in my 20s-30s, but Helena's proximity to the lesser known places intrigues me.

And for what its worth, it was somewhere around -15 this morning in the Bitterroot. No escaping this Arctic high pressure.

8. Likes Nix, mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

It was -16F here this AM.

But it was a dry cold....and sunny...so nobody seemed to mind.

Although....my 2005 Grand Cherokee has second thoughts about getting going.

Still, it's going to be in the 20's and ow 30's for the next couple of days. I've talked buddy into going fishing on the Missouri below the dam on Thursday. Light snow and temps in the 30's, and the water will be open there. If we had any skill, we'd catch a couple trouts, but we may have to make do with a nice day out.
    Tight lines!

10. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Missoula is growing so fast it makes my head spin. We moved out of the city 5 years ago and the only time I miss it is when I'm hankering for some social life. There is a lot of fun stuff in Missoula. But the next 5 years are going to change the place in a big way.

A buddy and I talked about moving our families to Missoula at one point about 10 years ago (after we got out of the military). Missoula has a lot to offer. But I visited and saw it had changed significantly from the town we both remembered from our youth.

Now.....well, I like to visit a few times a year.....and then I like to escape the traffic. It seems as though Missoula is now spilling down the Bitterroot and turning Hamilton into a bedroom community. * sigh... *

When people talk about how great Montana is, I now remind them of the terrible Winters and scorching summer. I lament the increased wildfires. And the crowding and increased property taxes. I feel it's only fair and right to point out the lack of fine dinning and shopping. Most everyone I know goes to Washington state to shop and eat.

No, it's pretty miserable here, but, since the OP was committed to moving here, I thought I'd be positive. Too bad he couldn't have relocated to Washington or Oregon. Hell, from what I hear, California is the place to be. If it were not for being upside-down in some ridiculously pricey real-estate, I'd move to California. No doubt.
    Tight lines!

12. Likes dean_mt, mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

It's amazing how nice 5 degrees feels when there is no wind and bright sun! For years I've taken my birthday off this time of the year, and gone fishin'. Not this time. I would have headed over to the Mo but the pictures of floe ice and the water level being due to the ice are not encouraging for the drive I'd have to make. Swing some streamers deep and slow!

14. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

I'll let ya know how it goes.

As they say, " a bad day fishing......."
    Tight lines!

16. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

Missoula is the best city in Montana!!... other than the Bighorn, there isnt much good water east of Bozeman.

18. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I'll let ya know how it goes.

As they say, " a bad day fishing......."
    So, did you find any open water?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123