Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
  1. Default Possible Relocation to Montana!

Greetings from Georgia!

I have the opportunity to move to Montana and continue with my same career path.

My territory will be from Bozeman to Kallispell, so I want to be somewhat centrally located.

I am considering Helena or Missoula.

I could live in Bozeman or Livingston, but that would be the outer edge of my territory.

Fly fishing, hunting, backpacking, hiking and ice fishing are the main focus for me. While my wife will be my companion for most of those pursuits, she is into running, working out at the gym, crafting, rock hounding and joining a church.

I am definitely going to buy a raft or a drift boat!

Why is Helena or Missoula better for the above mentioned activities? I should mention that while conservative, I can get along with liberals. The left wing and the right wing fly the same bird...

We are looking at 3-4 bedroom houses in or on the edge of town, as I will need home office internet and strong cell phone coverage.

Please offer up any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Mr. Fishunt
    Last edited by mrfishunt; 12-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.

2. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: Possible Relocation to Montana!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfishunt View Post
    Greetings from Georgia!

I have the opportunity to move to Montana and continue with my same career path.

My territory will be from Bozeman to Kallispell, so I want to be somewhat centrally located.

I am considering Helena or Missoula.

I could live in Bozeman or Livingston, but that would be the outer edge of my territory.

Fly fishing, hunting, backpacking, hiking and ice fishing are the main focus for me. While my wife will be my companion for most of those pursuits, she is into running, working out at the gym, crafting, rock hounding and joining a church.

I am definitely going to buy a raft or a drift boat!

Why is Helena or Missoula better for the above mentioned activities? I should mention that while conservative, I can get along with liberals. The left wing and the right wing fly the same bird...

We are looking at 3-4 bedroom houses in or on the edge of town, as I will need home office internet and strong cell phone coverage.

Please offer up any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Mr. Fishunt

No advice here, just jealousy. Extreme jealousy. I'm in Florida, still at work checking the Rocky Mountain forum dreaming about doing what you're doing. Good luck and ill monitor this thread.

4. Likes rangerrich99 liked this post

If you are looking for a centralized location with lots of amenities, I would suggest completely researching Missoula, MT. The University of Montana is located there and access to both excellent fishing and hunting abounds. This link provides an excellent source of fly fishing opportunities throughout the entire state of Montana:

Montana Fly Fishing Information at Big Sky Fishing.Com

I spent a lot of my formative early years in GA, living in Carrollton and going to (then) Military School in College Park, followed by three years at Auburn University. I have spent a lot of time fishing the waters of Southern Montana and some time around Missoula as well. Let's just say that Missoula is imbued with a growing enlightened awareness not present in many of the other more rural areas. I would liken it to the Pullman, WA/Moscow, Idaho area where I currently reside - which is to say it is decidedly different than other areas directly to the North and West...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Detroit Lakes, Minnesota and Bozeman, Montana

Missoula offers more water closer to town, Rock Creek, Bitteroot, Clark Fork, plus nearby Idaho waters. But Helena offers the upper Missouri, plus other smaller streams. Both are nice areas and towns.

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  8. Default Re: Possible Relocation to Montana!

Helena is much, much cheaper living and better for year-round fishing opportunities. Home prices in Missoula aren't as bad as Bozeman-Livingston (I know, because i just bought a house in Livingston), but they're still much higher than average for the state (same with Whitefish for that matter). You can get into something nice relatively cheaply in Helena. While not right on anything, you're 1-2 hours from a whole lot of trout water, 30-45min to the Missouri trout water depending on which section, and a few minutes from good carping.
    Owner/Outfitter, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies, River Characters, and Fly Fishing Yellowstone Country.

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  10. Default Re: Possible Relocation to Montana!

One great thing about Missoula that is often overlooked is the lack of a lot of wind, especially on the west side of town. A lot of great rivers close by for wading and drifting. A lot of great hiking in or near the city. Great music scene. Great mid-priced - not gourmet - restaurants.

We do have a growing homeless population. Missoula is a very liberal city, for better or worse. Taxes are creeping up.

Randy

11. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Helena, just seems more like Montana to me. I'm not crazy about the water around Missoula either. Most of the rivers I like to fish are not that far from Helena. When we travel out to Montana I don't feel like I'm quite there yet when we're in Missoula.

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Leave the SEC for Montana? Crazy talk there.

My sister and her husband are both professors at UM and moved to Missoula before it became desirable to live there. They said it was pretty conservative when they arrived but has been leaning left more and more.

We stop through there on our way to GNP ever summer. I never have the time to fish there as we are always anxious to get to our destination. My brother in law fishes around Missoula and seems to like it a lot. My brother lives there too, btw. Doesn't fish, but loves the town.

Too big for me though. But for the location and what you like to do I would think Missoula would be perfect if you can afford the cost of housing.

15. Likes mcnerney liked this post