Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Animas and San Juan biological analysis post mine release

This 175 page report is probably to wordy for most, but the executive summary starts on page 5 and my take is that, for the most part, because the fish and other aquatic species were exposed to increased levels of metals historically from the mining operations, they were better acclimated to endure the onslaught from the 2015 mine release, and thus the biological impact appears to thankfully be minimal:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...-508-final.pdf

(from summary):
    "The lack of a biological response is largely because the aquatic life in this section of the river has been impacted for decades by legacy contamination from historic mine ore processing and ongoing acid mine drainage contamination"

Mods can move this to the news/articles forum if needed, but I was curious to hear of any personal stories/reports from the anglers in this RockyMtn forum? Has anyone fished a particular downstream section pre and post release and noticed anything of note?

2. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: Animas and San Juan biological analysis post mine release

There was a summary in the Albuquerque Journal earlier this week:

EPA: Fish damage from mine spill limited | Albuquerque Journal

4. Likes cpiercem liked this post

EPA analyzing the effects of their own spill with multiple lawsuits and loss claims to be decided??? Sorry, I have little confidence in their reported findings.
    MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mikehrnm

6. Likes k_e_v, lacanadio, cpiercem, ifitswims liked this post

Here's an electro survey result. Where there were once 80 fish, there was two. TWO! This is suspected to be the result of the large fire early in the summer followed by heavy rain.

Fish count finds a severely depleted Animas River

8. Thanks 4peace1piece, cpiercem thanked for this post

Accidents happen. Spend the money and effort on enhancement plans.

Quote Originally Posted by lightline View Post
    Here's an electro survey result. Where there were once 80 fish, there was two. TWO! This is suspected to be the result of the large fire early in the summer followed by heavy rain.

Fish count finds a severely depleted Animas River
    So the fish survived the man-made disaster, but it was the natural disaster that got them. Things that make you say, "Hmmm..."

I told my wife that once after I thought I farted. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ifitswims View Post
    Accidents happen.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

12. Likes el jefe, ifitswims liked this post

Over the time of mans existence on this planet he has constantly sought newer and more innovative methods of killing, both prey and his fellow man, by design and accidentally.
    Over time more and more natural and unnatural substances have come into use with little or no thought to the possible consequences of their use. The Romans use of Lead for piping water and roofing can still be traced in the polar ice sheets.
    The mining of minerals such as Tin releases Arsenic and Sulphur into the environment. The Ozone layer in the atmosphere is permanently damaged by the use of CFC's in the past.
    Today we travel around in our vehicles/aeroplane's with barely a thought about the traces of heavy metals we leave in our wake, all of which will eventually end up in our water courses with, who knows what, long term effects.
    It seems to many that mankind is headed to a destruction of his own making, never mind, future generations will have to deal with the consequences of our and our forefathers actions, we won't be here to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    Over the time of mans existence on this planet he has constantly sought newer and more innovative methods of killing, both prey and his fellow man, by design and accidentally.
    Over time more and more natural and unnatural substances have come into use with little or no thought to the possible consequences of their use. The Romans use of Lead for piping water and roofing can still be traced in the polar ice sheets.
    The mining of minerals such as Tin releases Arsenic and Sulphur into the environment. The Ozone layer in the atmosphere is permanently damaged by the use of CFC's in the past.
    Today we travel around in our vehicles/aeroplane's with barely a thought about the traces of heavy metals we leave in our wake, all of which will eventually end up in our water courses with, who knows what, long term effects.
    It seems to many that mankind is headed to a destruction of his own making, never mind, future generations will have to deal with the consequences of our and our forefathers actions, we won't be here to worry about it.
    And yet, life expectancy continues to reach new highs.

I don't necessarily disagree with much of what you assert, but I am skeptical of the resultant predictions. Little--if any--of the gloom-and-doom predictions have ever come to pass. Nature is resilient in her ways. For instance, one of the asserted tragedies with the Gold King Mine spill was that so many heavy metals were released into the Animas, as if the heavy metals were created by man up there in them thar hills and the Animas would never have seen those heavy metals but for the presence of man. The heavy metals have always been up in those mountains, that's why they were mined there. The heavy metals have always dissolved into those waters. I have been to the headwaters of the Animas, literally on the top of the mountain pass where the river starts, and there's a boatload of minerals and heavy metals that the water passes over and through. Always has.

The Gold King Mine spill was a short, concentrated release, and the fear was that it would kill the river. It didn't. A forest fire and some rain did the job. I have a great deal of admiration for how nature sniffs at man's folly, and then decimates, in a single swipe, far more than can man after hundreds of years of trying.

16. Likes lightline liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast