CO trip in July

bdavis32

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to CO this coming July (8-12). Have done a fair amount of research but have a few questions I was hoping someone could help out with.

1. Lake fork of Gunnison. Is there a good map I can download/purchase that has public access points? It looks like there is a fair amount but I'm having trouble finding an easy to read source.

A. Any good dispersed camping on/near as well?
B. Other spots in area I should look at? I'm intrigued by Big Blue Creek but it sounds to be pretty
pressured, is that accurate? We are looking for solitude if possible.

2. Cimarron River... the 3 forks above Silver Jack Reservoir. How do those fish? Dispersed or backcountry camping available? From what I can see on Google maps it seems like dispersed camping is available. That accurate?

3. Gunnison River Gorge. Looking at hiking in to one of the backcountry campsites (Ute trail specifically) but wondering how quickly/often they get filled up as there is only a couple per trail. Didn't know if it was a be there first thing in the morning type situation.

4. Uncompahgre River. From the Pa-co-chu-puk park. Sounds amazing but wondering if it is combat fishing or is there any solitude? Will my 5wt suffice or do I need a 7/8? Seems like there are some bruisers in there.

Would love any and all advice/guidance on these areas. Feel free to message me if you don't want to post on the public forum but I'm not looking for your honey hole (or am I...I'm not :p).

Tight lines!
Barrett

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Here are a couple suggestions:

Join this forum as a paid subscriber to obtain some great insights:

Colorado Rivers Fishing Map

Pull these sites up for viewing and info:

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Maps of Statewide Fishing Waters

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Atlas

Buy these maps online:

https://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/fishing-and-river-map-guides/Colorado

https://store.randmcnally.com/delorme-atlas-gazetteer-colorado.html

Lastly, to avoid private property concerns, consider floating the rivers.

Best,
Outlaw.

gunnison_country

Reaction score
Barrett-
I'm originally from your neck of the woods..grew up in Shawnee and my folks and brother still live there. I saw the light and moved to the Gunnison Country almost 18 years ago. You definitely want to hit the Lake Fork as it is the most underrated fishery in the state of Colorado. It's Gold Medal water but not advertised as such. You can camp several places, but my favorite is The Gate Campground on Hwy 149 north of Lake City. Way too many access points on the Lake Fork for me to unpack here, see my signature for what I think is a great resource on the topic. I'd plan on fishing Henson Creek and Cebolla Creek while I was in the Lake City area as well. We are getting great snow and the Gunnison Country will be in full effect in 2019! Doug

bdavis32

Reaction score
Outlaw: thank you for those links! That fishing atlas of CO is great! I wish we could float the rivers. We don't have a boat but may spring for a guide for a day. That would be real nice.

Gunnison: just bought the book. Looking forward to getting into that! And I'm jealous of you getting out of JoCo! Wish I could make that happen, especially to where you're at!

gunnison_country

Reaction score
omas: Thanks for taking the time to post the kind words about the book.

Barrett: Your book will head east toward the home of the Kansas City Chiefs tomorrow AM! I hope this book helps you discover all of the piscatorial possibilities that the Gunnison Valley holds.

benglish

Reaction score
Couple things:

Depending on snowpack (obviously don't risk your life), but crossing the Taylor (again, be careful she is a mover) will double your catch rate.

Mouse patterns on the "other" river through town at night can be fantastic.

Expect half of the Lone Star state to be there as well during that time.

bdavis32

Reaction score
Gunnison: Thanks!! Can't wait to get that book. And can't wait for those CHIEFS to take it to the Pats on Sunday.

Benglish: That is great to know. Mousing...that's what I'm talking about. Definitely gonna remember that!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I highly recommend Doug's book if your are thinking of fishing the Gunnison.
I'm late to the party, but like Omas, I highly recommend Doug's book! It is loaded with valuable information on fishing the Gunnison!

durangobrad

Reaction score
Check out Onx maps for public land / private property boundaries. Its subscription based mapping software for your phone and computer. You can download the maps ahead of time and use them on your phone with our without cell service.

I have never had a problem getting a campsite down in the gorge. At the Ute trail the signup sheet for campsites is at the trailhead so you will be able to see what sites are available before you start hiking in.

Fishing at Paco can be great. I think a 5 or 6 weight will be just fine as you will likely be throwing light nymph rigs or often times site fishing with small nymphs and soft hackles depending on the flow and water clarity. Its not a great wilderness experience as the river itself is right inside a popular state park. You will not find solitude but the fishing can be really good if you are an experienced technical tailwater fisherman, otherwise it can be downright difficult to fool those fish.

bdavis32

Reaction score
Thanks Brad. Not sure I'd consider myself experienced at technical tailwater fishing but hey, how do you learn if not by trying, right? As for the gorge camping, it sounds like the Ute trail is a considerably easier hike although longer than the others. How does the camping compare to the other hike in spots? Do you have a preference of one trail over the other for camping?

Doug-received the book yesterday! Haven't gotten far yet but from the few pages I've read, I can tell it's going to be a great resource. Thank you for that!

durangobrad

Reaction score
The camping inside the gorge is very similar at the hike in spots. The hikes end at flat landings and that is where you will find the camp spots. Ute and Chuckar are the two easiest hikes. Chuckar is quite busy because it is also the shortest and where people pack in for overnight and day floats. Bobcat is the steepest and loosest, so much that its difficult to take a dog down. Duncan is short and steep but not as bad as bobcat. I recommend trekking poles if you have some for backpacking in and out.

I think that Ute gives you access to a longer stretch of water before getting cliffed out. The fishing water terminates at all of theses spots with impassable cliff walls. sometimes you can hike up and around, sometimes you cant. At summer flows, sometimes the river is cross able.

My preference for which trail to take in usually a last minute decision on the way. Ill take Ute if its going to be dark and Im going in with a headlamp or very heavy pack, or with people who may not do as well on the steeper trails.. Duncan or Bobcat if im going light and fast.

gunnison_country

Reaction score
Doug-received the book yesterday! Haven't gotten far yet but from the few pages I've read, I can tell it's going to be a great resource. Thank you for that!
Barret - Glad the book made it out to K.C. If you have any questions after you read it, just shoot me an email and I'd love to help you in any way I can make your trip out here great. Be sure to study the section of the book that talks about the East Portal, which is the only section of the Black Canyon you can get to by vehicle. It is a tremendous fishery, in fact, the average sized rainbow trout at the East Portal is bigger than anywhere else in the state of Colorado, edging out the Taylor River. Plus they gorge on scuds and are a special shade of beautiful. The book also details all of the available trails into the Gunny Gorge in some good detail. I'd highly recommend Ute Trail as it gives access to the largest swath of river (about 4 miles), isn't exceptionally grueling (except in the heat), and it is excellent fly water.

tumblr_plsvmmEoSh1vaqd3go1_540.jpg

Last edited:

bdavis32

Reaction score
Thanks again fellas for all the thought and insights! I'm gonna dig into Doug's book and be back if I have further inquiries.

Doug: I have fished at East Portal once a few years ago. I had just started fly fishing a few months prior so didn't really have a clue what I was doing. Luckily, the scenery made up for it! Will study that section and might work that into our itinerary this year.

Cheers!

gunnison_country

Reaction score
Barrett-
I responded to your battery of questions, but I did so via email. I never am quite sure that my PMs go where they are supposed to go. I hope you have a GREAT trip out here to Gunnison. Doug

bdavis32

Reaction score
I got it and thanks again for your help. If I have any further questions when the trip gets closer, I'll reach out. Thanks!!