San Juan during “lake turnover”?

Matt4.0

Reaction score
A buddy and I were discussing an impromptu trip to the San Juan next weekend. Reading reports, it sounds like the water is currently stained from turnover from the Navajo lake if I understand correctly. With that said, the couple reports confirming that are a few days old and I can’t find anything newer.

So, those local or familiar with the water; any idea if it’s still off color? If so, how much does it impact the fishing?

Matt4.0

Reaction score
A buddy and I were discussing an impromptu trip to the San Juan next weekend. Reading reports, it sounds like the water is currently stained from turnover from the Navajo lake if I understand correctly. With that said, the couple reports confirming that are a few days old and I can’t find anything newer.

So, those local or familiar with the water; any idea if it’s still off color? If so, how much does it impact the fishing?
Thanks Larry. That was one of the 2 recent ones I found (the other was only 3 days old from duranglers but much less detailed). With it being a week old and stating it was “any one’s guess” when the clarity would improve I was curious how long this process usually lasts.

We’ll still probably go, and likely get a guide for a day and wade for another day. I figure the local guides know how to fish these conditions and the weather looks promising at the moment (compared to highs in the 20s and windy in alcova which was also under consideration).

mka

Reaction score
I was there the last week of January...yes, the water is stained but fish are still biting. The people at Abe's told me the lake turned over in December and there was about two feet of clear water at the time. Great time to go...no crowds:)

Last edited:

durangobrad

Reaction score
I have been down to fish the river 4 times since the turnover. The clarity has been getting better each time since. The fish are still eating and you can still get it done with normal tail water techniques. You can also fish some bigger worms and eggs and also throw in some flash or color on your midge patterns.

I would not let it impact my decision to make the trip, this is an awesome time of year to be there. You can find sections of river all to yourself.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

On a related note, Fisheads is taking an “interesting” tactic on the meal-inclusive packages. If you do the math on either the fishing or lodging packages, they’re charging $60 per person per day for breakfast and dinner on these packages. Looking at their menu, you couldn’t even get close to $60 ordering the two meals there a la carte.

Think we’ll go to Abe’s instead. With that said, looks like Abe’s restaurant is closed for the winter and Fisheads only serves “if they have guests”. What other options would be open around there for dinner?

durangobrad

Reaction score
The ONLY place I can think of in Navajo Dam that would be open is the Sportsman. Abes rooms all come with charcoal BBQ grills so bring some charcoal and some steaks! Aside from that you could drive back to Aztec (about 20 minutes). You will have lots of time after fishing since it slows down in the evenings and gets dark pretty early.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The ONLY place I can think of in Navajo Dam that would be open is the Sportsman. Abes rooms all come with charcoal BBQ grills so bring some charcoal and some steaks! Aside from that you could drive back to Aztec (about 20 minutes). You will have lots of time after fishing since it slows down in the evenings and gets dark pretty early.
Last year we ate at Sportsman's, then also made the trek into Aztec for dinner one evening. Never thought about the BBQ grills at Abes, good tip!

myt1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

On a related note, Fisheads is taking an “interesting” tactic on the meal-inclusive packages. If you do the math on either the fishing or lodging packages, they’re charging $60 per person per day for breakfast and dinner on these packages. Looking at their menu, you couldn’t even get close to $60 ordering the two meals there a la carte.

Think we’ll go to Abe’s instead. With that said, looks like Abe’s restaurant is closed for the winter and Fisheads only serves “if they have guests”. What other options would be open around there for dinner?
I've pretty much crossed Fisheads off my list ever since they wouldn't seat me for dinner because I didn't have a reservation. They weren't even very nice about it. Plus I saw open tables and an entire dining area that wasn't being used.

I think they are trying to go upscale and really aren't going after the business of the average fishing Joe.

I was particularly peeved since the only reason I went into their restaurant was because I had recently heard the owner of Fiishheads speak at our local Bass Pro Shop. I was trying to give him some business in gratitude of his presentation, even though it really wasn't that great of a talk.

About turn-over:

I have fished it a few times and it can be a major pain.

Plan on cleaning a significant amount of green slime off your flies after almost every drift.

lacanadio

Reaction score
My wife and I have stayed at Fisheads, but not recently. It shows that the owner doesn't put any $$$ into his property. The food is so-so and to require a reservation for their restaurant is, IMO, ludicrous. Unless there are major changes, I'd say that them going upscale borders on the absurd. Abe's is better for my solo expeditions and, if we're without the RV, I think we'll look into the Octagon. Soaring Eagle is pretty much out of reach unless the "$5 retirement plan" pays off.

I second what's been said about fishing the turnover. Leeches work dead drifted, too.

scoutm

Reaction score
Last year we ate at Sportsman's, then also made the trek into Aztec for dinner one evening. Never thought about the BBQ grills at Abes, good tip!
That Mexican place we ate at in Aztec was great. I'd enjoy dinner there again.

As for turn over, I have fished it a few times and I've found I have better results with bigger junk - worms, chamois leech and streamers. Also bigger and brighter flies.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Anyone know or recall if Abe’s has WiFi? Might go a day early, if so I’ll need some connectivity. (I do recall there’s little to no cell service out there from my last trip)

cerec_cat

Reaction score
Anyone know or recall if Abe’s has WiFi? Might go a day early, if so I’ll need some connectivity. (I do recall there’s little to no cell service out there from my last trip)
Yes they have WiFi. Try to get a room close to the shop.

stater61

Reaction score
I actually guide on the San Juan and it turned over on Dec 16th if I remember right. It will turn over again in the spring, it is temperature oriented. The extremely mossy phase of the turn over is past for now and has been for a while, although it's still very murky it's fishing very good.

As far as flies go all the usual suspects are still catching fish. Right now the hatches are much much smaller in intensity and length than during the warmer weather but I'm still catching fish on emergers, KF Flashers, RS2's, Top Secret Midge etc. It totally depends on the area of water and the hatch. In other areas a Chamois leech, Bunny leech (darker color), Streamers, red annelids and cream UFO's are the best approach. Some people I'm sure are having luck with other things as well and probably swear by them, this is just what has been working for me at this time.

They stocked it recently and the biggest problem is keeping the smaller fish off and finding the big ones. The big ones are still there and still feeding, I've actually taken to ignoring the big obvious strikes, unless they hook themselves, and only setting on the very subtle takes. Not always but this usually results in a bigger fish.

Right now is actually an awesome time to be fishing the Juan, waaaaay less people to contend with and the fish don't quit biting due to the color of the water. Just watch the projected forecast and wait for a warmer day and no or light wind. I think you'll be glad you came. The Sportsmans is the only place open for food right now and they are currently closed on Sunday and Monday.

JH
Trout Junky

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I actually guide on the San Juan and it turned over on Dec 16th if I remember right. It will turn over again in the spring, it is temperature oriented. The extremely mossy phase of the turn over is past for now and has been for a while, although it's still very murky it's fishing very good.

As far as flies go all the usual suspects are still catching fish. Right now the hatches are much much smaller in intensity and length than during the warmer weather but I'm still catching fish on emergers, KF Flashers, RS2's, Top Secret Midge etc. It totally depends on the area of water and the hatch. In other areas a Chamois leech, Bunny leech (darker color), Streamers, red annelids and cream UFO's are the best approach. Some people I'm sure are having luck with other things as well and probably swear by them, this is just what has been working for me at this time.

They stocked it recently and the biggest problem is keeping the smaller fish off and finding the big ones. The big ones are still there and still feeding, I've actually taken to ignoring the big obvious strikes, unless they hook themselves, and only setting on the very subtle takes. Not always but this usually results in a bigger fish.

Right now is actually an awesome time to be fishing the Juan, waaaaay less people to contend with and the fish don't quit biting due to the color of the water. Just watch the projected forecast and wait for a warmer day and no or light wind. I think you'll be glad you came. The Sportsmans is the only place open for food right now and they are currently closed on Sunday and Monday.

JH
Trout Junky
We made it down. Fished for 3 hours this afternoon and landed MANY fish...but as you said most of them were the little new stockers. (Still makes for a fun day). Hope to get into some bigger ones tomorrow on our guided float trip.

Did manage get a great flop shot on the one decent size one I caught;

stater61

Reaction score
tx_newb glad you made it down. I think you'll have a great time with a guide. Who are you going out with? I would try to meet up with you for a chat or a coffee but I have to be in town in the morning. I'll be on the river Sunday though. I'll PM you my number and you can call me if you are able to and maybe we can meet at the Sportsman in the afternoon or evening if you have a mind to.

One of the Rangers told me that when they stocked the river that someone messed up and used weight versus the number of fish and they accidently put in way too many stockers. I suspect that the bigger and really big fish are dining on the surplus :)

JH

Troutjunky

Matt4.0

Reaction score
tx_newb glad you made it down. I think you'll have a great time with a guide. Who are you going out with? I would try to meet up with you for a chat or a coffee but I have to be in town in the morning. I'll be on the river Sunday though. I'll PM you my number and you can call me if you are able to and maybe we can meet at the Sportsman in the afternoon or evening if you have a mind to.

One of the Rangers told me that when they stocked the river that someone messed up and used weight versus the number of fish and they accidently put in way too many stockers. I suspect that the bigger and really big fish are dining on the surplus :)

JH

Troutjunky
I suspect that Ranger may be correct, the numbers of fish were insane. Responded to your PM, sorry we couldn’t meet up but I’ll give you a shout next time down!

Matt4.0

Reaction score
So here’s a summary trip report:

My buddy and I went out with John out of Abe’s yesterday. It was a day to remember to say the least.

We started at the Texas hole as almost all the float trips do I imagine. We were the first boat on the water if I recall correctly...and quickly discovered the forecast was going to be a bit cooler than predicted. I won’t gripe about the weather too much for reasons you’ll see below, but suffice to say it was pretty cold for the first 4-5 hours of the trip (don’t think it broke 30’s until after 1pm and was windy off and on)

With that said....what fantastic fishing!! Between the 2 of us I’m pretty sure we hit triple digits on fish count. Granted, 80% of those were 6-8” stockers, but we sprinkled in many good fish as well. Doubled up several times, mostly on the stockers but once on a couple nice ones as pictured below (of course “mine was bigger” )

We fished nymphs the first few hours, then I decided to toss some streamers...wish I had started earlier. Caught 10+ on the streamer rig and quickly LDR’d what I’m pretty sure would have been a VERY nice brown.

After the float ended I was beat but my buddy, who is the only guy I know who always wants to stay on the river longer than myself, wanted to go wade fish some more. So we went back up to the Texas Hole and fished the sunset. He went back to nymphs and did well...but I decided to go for the “trifecta” and tied on a dry rig...and sure enough got one to the net.

Great day, pics below: