Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: San Juan during “lake turnover”?

Looks like you two had an awesome day despite the cold winter weather, congrats!
    Thanks for sharing those great photos!
    Larry

I have fished the Juan, more times than I can count, and have never floated it.

Quote Originally Posted by cerec_cat View Post
    I have fished the Juan, more times than I can count, and have never floated it.
    Cerec, you owe it to yourself to float it. It gives you an entirely new perspective on the river.

How long of a trip is it? I watch people hang out at Texas Hole for an extended period of time, float down a little way, then row back up to Texas Hole and start over. Is it pretty decent on a boat past the Simeon Canyon part?

You can make the trip as long or as short as you want just depending how long you fish certain areas and if you stop and wade some areas. Some of the guides put in and get the heck out of T-hole as fast as they can if there are alot of people and or boats in there. They will fish from Biscuit rock down and then return to T-hole around 2:00 or so. Once you get downstream of the fast water going into Three Island run you're not rowing back upstream.

I think you're missing alot of good area by wading and not floating the deeper part of T-hole, Three Island run, some of Lunker Alley, Death Row, etc. I think the best thing is to float alot of these areas and use the boat as a vessel to get to some of the good wading spots. You can float and fish through the areas below ET Rock if you are running short on time or you can get out and wade at Simon and The Chutes, Last Chance run. I usually have better luck wading there but honestly I don't spend alot of time there and it seems like alot of the guides don't. I do know of some waders that have good success in those areas though.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123