Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wyoming Trip

1. Default Re: Wyoming Trip

Thanks for the all the suggestions, I have found some places to check out. From what I gather, I don't want to go too early in the summer nor too late in the fall.

Is July a good month to target?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wyoming Trip

Quote Originally Posted by brianthill View Post
    Thanks for the all the suggestions, I have found some places to check out. From what I gather, I don't want to go too early in the summer nor too late in the fall.

Is July a good month to target?
    Yes! Usually, June is spring runoff! If we get a hot, no rain, summer, then in August the rivers warm up too much. This year we have received a good snow pack, most all of the state is at 100% or higher so it should be a good year for fishing.
    Larry

3. Likes ggriffi, brianthill liked this post

Mcnerney is right but we also have a ways to go before it stops snowing. Keep checking this page in the next few months: USGS Current Conditions for Wyoming_ Streamflow

Edited: Whoops the above link is for streamflow rates. The snowpack % link is in my post below.

That gives our snowpack data. If where you want to fish starts getting to 150% snowpack, the longer our runoff season will be. Like another poster said you do need to be aware of private land. The water rights in Wyoming are much different from Montana. If you own the land up to the river, you own the bottom of the river half way out. So, you can't wade or drop anchor like you can in Montana.

All that said, we have a lot of great water. I would say the timing is going to be most important when considering the mid to northwest part of the state.
    Last edited by AnglerX; 02-21-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    There are no flying fish in Montana or Wyoming.

5. Likes mcnerney, brianthill liked this post

If you are looking at Yellowstone Park in Wyoming, Slough Creek and the Lamar River usually fish very well that time of year. You're going to find bigger fish in the Lamar. Slough Creek is a ton of fun and there is a great campground; Slough Creek Campground. You can do a lot of hiking to fishing to the first and second meadows of Slough Creek for some true backcountry fun (bear spray and bear gun highly recommended). I have also had epic hours fishing the creek right in the campground.

There are also a lot of campgrounds on the BLM land of the upper Green River near Daniel Wyoming. Campground 1-4 are going to be the best wade fishing. You do have to pay attention to water levels. If the Green gets below 500cfs and it's hot, you only want to fish in morning and evening.

The link I gave in my previous post is for the streamflow rates. The snowpack rates are here: NRCS/WRDS Snowpack Data
    There are no flying fish in Montana or Wyoming.

7. Likes mcnerney, brianthill liked this post

Well, as you can now see from the many suggestions that the best strategy will be to start in the lower SE corner of the state, fish your way north to the MT state line, then back south to the CO state line and continue to zig zag like this until you reach the west side of the state.

Seriously though, you can definitely open a can of worms with a question like this. WY has a ton of fantastic water to fish. Some of it can be a challenge to find and access. It's really a flip of a coin as to where you want to start and end. Any of these suggestions will likely get you in to a great fishing experience. I've learned to just hang a map on the wall, close my eyes, and throw a dart at it and start packing. As noted though, check the run-off and flows. Lots of snow again this year for the region. I was in NW WY and SW MT early last fall and the water was still slightly above normal in lots of places. Still able to wade and fishing was great. Just have to be careful in the bigger waters. Take advantage of the links, books, and info these guys give you. They're invaluable for trip planning. No matter where you decide, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Good luck!!
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevind62 View Post
    Well, as you can now see from the many suggestions that the best strategy will be to start in the lower SE corner of the state, fish your way north to the MT state line, then back south to the CO state line and continue to zig zag like this until you reach the west side of the state.

Seriously though, you can definitely open a can of worms with a question like this. WY has a ton of fantastic water to fish. Some of it can be a challenge to find and access. It's really a flip of a coin as to where you want to start and end. Any of these suggestions will likely get you in to a great fishing experience. I've learned to just hang a map on the wall, close my eyes, and throw a dart at it and start packing. As noted though, check the run-off and flows. Lots of snow again this year for the region. I was in NW WY and SW MT early last fall and the water was still slightly above normal in lots of places. Still able to wade and fishing was great. Just have to be careful in the bigger waters. Take advantage of the links, books, and info these guys give you. They're invaluable for trip planning. No matter where you decide, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Good luck!!
    Mac, Mac, Mac . . .

If you keep telling people how great the fishing is in WY we're going to have choice but to revoke your membership to our little club. Or poke a hole in your boat . . .
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

10. Likes mcnerney, kevind62, ggriffi liked this post

The Powder

CR

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I hear Colorado and Montana have lots of trout. Better to go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all in the reflexes.

14. Likes mcnerney liked this post

No matter what, don't go to northwestern Wyoming in the first half of September. It is terrible and should be left to unskilled fishermen like me! HAHA!

16. Likes mcnerney, Joey Bagels liked this post

MONTANA has the best access, and currently NO sales tax
    for when you get thirsty.

Just saying . . .

18. Likes Joey Bagels, mcnerney liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12