Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming Trip

1. Default Wyoming Trip

Was just reading the newest issue of American Angler and after seeing the Wyoming feature I got a wild hair to head out there and fish this summer.

I have never been there before so I am looking for some advice.

I would plan to drive out for a 4-5 day trip and truck camp. I don't mind some walking and would like to mostly fish on remote/unpressured water for trout.

What are some good streams/locations/campgrounds for me to look at? What is the best time of year to get good fishing but avoid huge crowds?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Wyoming Trip

Others will be along with more info than I but I went last year for the first time. We fished the Salt and the Grey's in SW Wyoming. We stayed near Thayne.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Every book is a children's book if the kid can read. - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Blog Entries

Brian

Welcome to the forum!
    For that type of experience, I would either pick up a Wyoming Road Atlas and start searching for blue lines or start using Google Earth and do the same.
    The Flyfisher's Guide to Wyoming by Ken Retallic would also be a good source to find those out of the way streams that get little attention.
    You might also be interested in doing the Wyoming Cutt Slam, you can read about it here: Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Cutt Slam
    Larry

4. Likes ggriffi, buffler razz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Brian

Welcome to the forum!
    For that type of experience, I would either pick up a Wyoming Road Atlas and start searching for blue lines or start using Google Earth and do the same.
    The Flyfisher's Guide to Wyoming by Ken Retallic would also be a good source to find those out of the way streams that get little attention.
    You might also be interested in doing the Wyoming Cutt Slam, you can read about it here: Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Cutt Slam
    I can vouch for Retallic's book. Lots of good info. Between his book and this forum you will get plenty knowledge

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Every book is a children's book if the kid can read. - Mitch Hedberg RIP

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

You will probably get alot of "North Platte" suggestions here and that is a good one. The North Platte is arguably the best rainbow fishery in the lower 48. After that however, many on this forum will not give up Cowboy state secrets so easily. Ken Retallic's book is the gold standard but Wyoming game and fish also used to put out a free "magazine" called something like "Walk-in fishing" or something like that. It is basically leased land that is accessible to angler willing to get off the beaten path. I have found some fantastic and I mean fantastic fishing waters using this manual. I will say that I have not seen a printed version in a couple of years and one of the places I went this last summer had the lease closed so it would be best to find updated version. The web address is for Wyo Game and fish walk in access is:

Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Walk In Fishing

you also might find someone at WGAF who can send you the printed version with the maps. Good luck, you could not have picked a better state to spend a week or so fishing.

8. Likes mcnerney, WoollyBourbon liked this post

From my experience planning trips out there from the Midwest each year, the right answer for where and when to go is a tough one, especially for wade fishing.

Through at least most of summer the lower elevation tailwaters that are controlled for irrigation are high and tough to wade fish. However, the freestone river fishing is better and the high elevation backcountry rivers and lakes are accessible.

In the fall, the tailwaters are lower and better but it can get darn cold at high elevation if you want to get into the wilderness.

We change back and forth between summer and fall depending on work schedules and what kind of fishing we're craving that year.

ryan

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I fish around Cody with my friend in September. I usually go up their right after Labor Day. We are still learning where to fish the area. I just picked up a book - Fly Fishing the Greater Yellowstone Backcountry. It lists a lot of areas that if you willing to hike a little will get you into good areas.

We generally fish the North Fork of the Shoshone. We'll see some fishermen but not too many. The river's pretty picked over by the time we get their but I generally catch enough nice size trout 16"-19" to keep me satisfied. Last year we spent a day fishing Lake Luce. It is catch and release. What a blast. A couple of the trout went well into my backing.

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benglish View Post
    You will probably get alot of "North Platte" suggestions here and that is a good one. The North Platte is arguably the best rainbow fishery in the lower 48. After that however, many on this forum will not give up Cowboy state secrets so easily. Ken Retallic's book is the gold standard but Wyoming game and fish also used to put out a free "magazine" called something like "Walk-in fishing" or something like that. It is basically leased land that is accessible to angler willing to get off the beaten path. I have found some fantastic and I mean fantastic fishing waters using this manual. I will say that I have not seen a printed version in a couple of years and one of the places I went this last summer had the lease closed so it would be best to find updated version. The web address is for Wyo Game and fish walk in access is:

Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Walk In Fishing

you also might find someone at WGAF who can send you the printed version with the maps. Good luck, you could not have picked a better state to spend a week or so fishing.
    I have the 2012 printed copy, so last week I went down to the local Wyoming Game and Fish office to pick up a new copy, I didn't see it in their magazine rack so I went inside to enquire whether or not they still printed it and found out it only online now days. Bummer, nothing beats a printed copy when your in the field, but I guess the next best is to print out the pages of interest!
    Larry

14. Thanks hatidua thanked for this post

One thing to keep in mind is the amount of unposted private land in WY. It's the angler/hunters responsibility to know if the land they are on is public and the way that WY Game & Fish recommends doing this is by having the onX maps app on your phone (it's a subscription service). Landowners are not required to post their boundaries and Game and Fish absolutely does patrol often.

I think onX has a free 30 day trial and if a person is only coming out for a week, it'd be worth having that pre-loaded and running on their phone. Seeing a ranger in a bright red shirt walking toward you is not necessarily conducive to having a nice day if you are on the wrong side of a property line.

16. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Brianthill

Ok, I finally received my copy of American Angler. The author spells out pretty much where he is fishing. Can you please be more specific with your questions and I can probably be of more help.
    Larry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast