Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default South Platte, Dream Stream, Fly Selection

Business will take to me to Colorado Springs the last week of March and I am hoping to find some time to fish the Dream Stream for a day or two. I have fished there before, but mostly in the summer and early fall. I plan to stop by the a couple of fly shops that I have used before and ask for their advice, but would also like the advice of the "Forum Brain Trust". If you have a favorite pattern or "go to fly", and you don't mind sharing, I would love to hear for you.
    Thanks

Default Re: South Platte, Dream Stream, Fly Selection

It's been a decade since I fished the South Platte, but I loved it! I'll refrain from passing on dated advice, but I seemed to do best with small flies (#18-24) and fine tippet. Hope you have a good time. I'm jealous!
    Tight lines!

Blog Entries

4. Thanks omas thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post

Fished it last fall. Kokanee were running. Caught some nice rainbows and a few Kokanee. No browns. RS2's, Hare's ear nymphs, WD40's, SJW's, and Jubilee Baetis all worked well then. Had to go small though. nothing bigger than #18. Mostly #20 and #22's on 5x tippet. Didn't try any streamers. Probably could have hooked in to some of the big browns if I had. I was catching fish so didn't see a need to change up.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

6. Thanks omas thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post

To put it simply, during that time of year midges are a must. The last part of March going into April BWO's will be starting to hatch too, and if the flow is high try some scuds because they'll be washed away with the flow and the fish pounce on them.

Eggs are another good pattern to try because the rainbows will be spawning, but I try to leave spawning fish alone because I don't want to disrupt what they are doing. It's the polite thing to do.

Here's a little list of flies that have done me well in the past when I lived near there.

Griffiths Gnat is a must fly to have from #22-#24
    Parachute Adams #24-#26
    Delaware Adams #16 followed by a pheasant tail nymph trailer #18-#20

Stone flies are good too, so a Golden Stonefly nymph #14-#16 is a good choice.
    Midges like the Juju midge in the deep pools are also a good bet from #24-#26. Try some RS-2's as well in black, gray or brown #20-#22.

Go light on your tippet. A 6X I found is prime for midges, but a 5X should be alright for dries.

I hope this helps.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

8. Thanks omas thanked for this post
    Likes Nix, mcnerney, Joey Bagels liked this post

Thanks for the fly list. Fishing spawning fish is a "no no" with me as well, but fishing down stream of the reds for the trout feeding on the eggs is a another matter.

10. Likes kevind62, scotty macfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kevind62 View Post
    Fished it last fall. Kokanee were running. Caught some nice rainbows and a few Kokanee. No browns. RS2's, Hare's ear nymphs, WD40's, SJW's, and Jubilee Baetis all worked well then. Had to go small though. nothing bigger than #18. Mostly #20 and #22's on 5x tippet. Didn't try any streamers. Probably could have hooked in to some of the big browns if I had. I was catching fish so didn't see a need to change up.
    Thanks for your list. I agree on the South Platte smaller is better (20-26). I hope to get up there next fall as well.

12. Likes kevind62 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
    To put it simply, during that time of year midges are a must. The last part of March going into April

Griffiths Gnat is a must fly to have from #22-#24
    Parachute Adams #24-#26
    Delaware Adams #16 followed by a pheasant tail nymph trailer #18-#20

Stone flies are good too, so a Golden Stonefly nymph #14-#16 is a good choice.
    Midges like the Juju midge in the deep pools are also a good bet from #24-#26. Try some RS-2's as well in black, gray or brown #20-#22.
    Great advice. That's more or less the fly assortment I used to use, as well.

Very good to hear the Griffith's Gnat is still a producer. That was one of my go-to dries. I also liked a small Renegade. You use those at all?

I also found the venerable Parachute Adams to be useful.....but that is true just about anywhere I've fished.

Juju midges, RS-2's, Dorsey's Zebra Midge, Miracles Nymphs, and small PT's all did well for me, too. I also liked the classic Brassie. Maybe because it was easy to tie, but, if memory serves, it worked well.
    Tight lines!

14. Thanks omas thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I also liked a small Renegade. You use those at all?
    I never leave home without out them. They are a staple in my box along with the Delaware Adams and Winged Ants. With these three flies, I am confident I can catch trout anywhere in the Colorado Rockies.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

16. Likes Nix, Joey Bagels liked this post

Tight lines!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast