Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
    Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

Default Survived Blizzard of 2018. How are my fellow faring?

How are you fellow Coloradans faring? Interstates are closed, highways are closed. DIA has canceled flights. 200K without power. Everything is plastered with wind driven snow. Colorado Springs had 97 MPH winds. Nasty damn day. Spring begins in 7 days. Hoorah!
    “one opportunity, one encounter”
    一期一会

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Survived Blizzard of 2018. How are my fellow faring?

I’m in the Littleton/Ken Caryl area. Got a bunch of snow and some wind but not as much as south and east of us did apparently.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I'm at just under 8000' elevation, same snow plain as Monument Hill and Palmer Divide. I posted earlier in "what's in your yard post".....it's still coming down here....still 50+ mph winds, drifting is crazy, I've gotten about 2 ft. of actual snowfall but have drifts of 5-7 ft and growing against my outbuildings and wind breaks. It's a whopper of storm. I-25 is closed from the Springs to Castle Rock, I-70 is closed eastbound, Kiowa/Bennett road is 4+ ft deep, Franktown and Elizabeth are inaccessible. They said, 3000 + flights cancelled out of DIA incoming and outgoing with no reopening expected until late Friday or Saturday, tomorrow looks windy still and in the teens, It's going to be several days before this thing is fully weathered. PS: I think it's the 2019 storm, isn't it?

6. Likes dennyk liked this post

Hope everyone is safe!!! Good news is it might be warm enough to fish Friday!! Stay safe tight lines boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in a farming community, and with the wide open fields and the high winds coming from the north, the snow drifts are fun when they come across the road. A little 4X4 action is always fun. But still, a cyclone is what they said we had. That's a new one for me, because never have I ever heard of a cyclone in CO. I'm wanting to put it with that Full Blood Wolf Super Harvest Blue moon thing the weather service pulled out of their hat. But what do I know?

All I know is storms like this were more common 30 /40 years ago, and getting 10 to 12 inches of snow back then never caused anyone to even blink. Now a days, a little disturbance in the weather that brings 2 inches of snow is a big concern. I just have to shake my head and wonder.

But I actually welcome this snow because we really do need it for the coming summer, and I hope we get more like it again soon. Bring it on I say.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

9. Likes dakotakid liked this post
    Blog Entries

The storm passed to the south of us here in Pinedale, WY, but the highways (I-25 and I-80) are still closed here in Wyoming.

WYDOT Travel Information Service (Cheyenne)
    Larry

It's 68 deg F here and a light SE breeze if that's any consolation.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

12. Likes tx_newb, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kevind62 View Post
    It's 68 deg F here and a light SE breeze if that's any consolation.
    Thanks a lot Kevin, I feel better already .

14. Likes kevind62, tx_newb, mcnerney liked this post
    Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

Saw this from local CBS station. Close call at 37,000 feet

For passengers on a different flight it was an extremely rough ride about 100 miles east of Denver.
    According to the pilot a Boeing 737-800 encountered severe turbulence while 37,000 feet over the small town of Cope in extreme southeastern Washington County, CO. In addition to the turbulence pilots also reported a 20 knot loss of airspeed due to a severe mountain wave which almost caused the plane to stall.
    The event happened at 10:32 a.m. as the storm was nearing peak intensity. Thankfully no injuries were reported.
    “one opportunity, one encounter”
    一期一会

Quote Originally Posted by losthwy View Post
    In addition to the turbulence pilots also reported a 20 knot loss of airspeed due to a severe mountain wave which almost caused the plane to stall.
    They must've already been going very slow if -20 knots gets them to almost stall.

Does anybody have pictures of the storm, or was it just a solid wall of white?
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson