Trip to CO officially booked

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I just finally booked my trip to Colorado for the 3rd week of July. I'm going to be hiring a guide (Blue Quill Anglers) for a full day. Unfortunately, I'm just going to be fishing one day but I suppose that is better than none. I believe they supply a lot of the gear if necessary so I'll probably just end up bringing my rod/reel and use their waders.

Any recommendations for what I should arm myself with for flies? I don't know exactly where I'll be fishing yet but hoping to slowly build up a little arsenal for when I'm out there.

Any other pointers/tips/tricks for an east coaster getting his first rocky mountain experience?

Thanks!

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sir,

If your fishing with a guide, He will furnish and know what to use better then anybody here...after all that's what your paying for. my 2 cents-CB

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Buggers and mice.
The guide will have you throwing size 32 midges and micro-gnats. Like everybody else. Dare to be different! The trout won’t know what hit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustneversleeps

Reaction score
Last thing you wanna do after you've hired a guide is to show up with your own flies, IMO. He makes his living putting people on fish and will/should know what it takes to get into them.

ramjet

Reaction score
>Any other pointers/tips/tricks for an east coaster getting his first rocky mountain experience?<

Not trying to sound like an old man..(although I'm rapidly becoming one).

I travel from the midwest to CO a couple times a year. Consider that you may be fishing at a much higher altitude than you're used to. Stay hydrated, consider drinking little or no alcohol for a day or so beforehand. Take things a little slower than usual, especially when standing up from being crouched down. The sun will burn you faster too.

My folks summer place is up over 10,000 feet and several guests from lower elevations have passed out from standing up too quickly. Most of the buds I've brought up to fish at least get winded pretty good by surprise a few times and still mention it years later.

But they all enjoy fishing there and want to go back. Have fun. HTH.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
>Any other pointers/tips/tricks for an east coaster getting his first rocky mountain experience?<

Not trying to sound like an old man..(although I'm rapidly becoming one).

I travel from the midwest to CO a couple times a year. Consider that you may be fishing at a much higher altitude than you're used to. Stay hydrated, consider drinking little or no alcohol for a day or so beforehand. Take things a little slower than usual, especially when standing up from being crouched down. The sun will burn you faster too.

My folks summer place is up over 10,000 feet and several guests from lower elevations have passed out from standing up too quickly. Most of the buds I've brought up to fish at least get winded pretty good by surprise a few times and still mention it years later.

But they all enjoy fishing there and want to go back. Have fun. HTH.
Great thoughts! I've only had an experience with serious altitude once when traveling to Africa and my goodness did it get me! Thanks for the pointer. I'm 100% open to having tips like this that may not be directly related to the actual fly in the water.

robbyotto

Reaction score
Are you going to be floating or wade fishing with the guide? I'd see if you can get access to private waters. Are you planning on the tailgaters or freestone? We will likely have a late runoff this year making some smaller rivers fishable later but by late july many smaller rivers will be low and tough. You are visiting at the tail end of our warmest weather of the year and it can affect fishing especially on the freestone rivers. For flies that time of year hopper dropper is often excellent. Think small and natural for your dropper (18-24) and biggish and ugly for your hopper. Good luck

AzTrouter

Reaction score
More important than bringing bugs, practice practice and practice casting some more even if it’s on a golf course pond haha

The Blue Quill bro’s roll fat with bugs!

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Are you going to be floating or wade fishing with the guide? I'd see if you can get access to private waters. Are you planning on the tailgaters or freestone? We will likely have a late runoff this year making some smaller rivers fishable later but by late july many smaller rivers will be low and tough. You are visiting at the tail end of our warmest weather of the year and it can affect fishing especially on the freestone rivers. For flies that time of year hopper dropper is often excellent. Think small and natural for your dropper (18-24) and biggish and ugly for your hopper. Good luck
I will be wading and from the sounds of it it will most likely be public waters. I'm not sure what type of water but my guess is tailwaters.

robbyotto

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun time! Lots of options in Colorado for wading and you picked a well regarded guide shop. I'd call and ask what your options will be and then research ahead and pick the locations that is most appealing for you. You can't go wrong in Colorado.

flav

Reaction score
I'd call and ask what your options will be and then research ahead and pick the locations that is most appealing for you.
Definitely a good idea. Find out what your options are, and communicate ahead of time to your guide what you'd like to do. I've heard a lot of complaints from guys who booked guides and then spent the day nymphing on a big tailwater when they really hoped they'd be fishing a smaller river with dry flies or things like that. They never communicated that to the guide, so they were taken to the areas they take everyone else.
Also, because of whirling disease in Colorado, there are a lot of hatchery rainbows, especially on the well know waters where guides often take clients. If you want to catch wild or native fish let your guide know, they may need to take you somewhere they might not normally go. It's your trip, and the guide just wants to make you happy, or at least he should.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Definitely a good idea. Find out what your options are, and communicate ahead of time to your guide what you'd like to do. I've heard a lot of complaints from guys who booked guides and then spent the day nymphing on a big tailwater when they really hoped they'd be fishing a smaller river with dry flies or things like that. They never communicated that to the guide, so they were taken to the areas they take everyone else.
Also, because of whirling disease in Colorado, there are a lot of hatchery rainbows, especially on the well know waters where guides often take clients. If you want to catch wild or native fish let your guide know, they may need to take you somewhere they might not normally go. It's your trip, and the guide just wants to make you happy, or at least he should.
Hm, I didn't really think of that. With how new I am to fly fishing I was more so hoping to learn more about fishing and just get out into a beautiful area but I think I would definitely like a chance to catch a wild fish than a stockie, potentially with whirling.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Interesting - why a filtered water bottle specifically?
A Sawyer water bottle is perfect. But for less bulk, a LifeStraw or LifeStraw Steel will certainly do the trick. Either way, you'll be thankful you did because with the sun, altitude, you will get dehydrated very quick. Many times I have fished to the point of almost passing out because I had nothing to drink. I was stupid. My wife got me the Sawyer filtration bottle and it has been a life saver.

flav

Reaction score
I remember my first trip to Colorado from the midwest. The elevation will tire you out and the sun will burn you, but it's also much drier in the west. You get dehydrated easily, and you don't realize it because you're not sweaty, your sweat dries immediately in the dry air. You don't need a filter, you can just carry water and you'll be fine. I carry a filter if I'm hiking long distance, and carry bottles in a pack if I'm only going a few miles. Either way I leave water in my car to drink when I'm done.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I remember my first trip to Colorado from the midwest. The elevation will tire you out and the sun will burn you, but it's also much drier in the west. You get dehydrated easily, and you don't realize it because you're not sweaty, your sweat dries immediately in the dry air. You don't need a filter, you can just carry water and you'll be fine. I carry a filter if I'm hiking long distance, and carry bottles in a pack if I'm only going a few miles. Either way I leave water in my car to drink when I'm done.
Do you like to wear long-sleeve shirts that have SPF capabilities? I've seen some of these types of shirts and always wondered how they worked. I feel like I would be super hot wearing those types of shirts but I wonder if they're more or less beneficial than simply dealing with sunscreen.