Any input on a trip I'm trying to plan? - Colorado

photoguy

Reaction score
Hey all-

So my buddy and I are planning a trip in early July to Colorado. By way of background, we're Eastern fishermen if it matters, and typically spend our days trekking around the Northeast. This will be a first for us to venture to the West.

We've narrowed it down to the Grand Junction/Glenwood Springs area as my buddy has acquaintances in that general area that he will connect with when our fishing days are over, and I'll return home.

At this early stage, these areas are simply points on a map and I'm hoping to get a little bit of local knowledge to help us plan further. We're thinking 4 days, 2 wading, 2 drift boating. Any tips/tricks or other input into the area? Guide recommendations, lodging, time of year expectations etc are greatly appreciated!

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I would check with local fly shops when it gets closer to your trip. There is a lot of snow in the mountains this year. The runoff will be very robust this year. Lower elevation lake fishing might be your best option.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
South of Glenwood Springs on hwy 82 is Basalt, CO. You will have the Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, the Colorado and the Crystal rivers to explore.
There are a number of very good fly shops in Basalt. I like Frying Pan Anglers, but be sure to stop in at one of the shops and pick up a public access map. Frying Pan Anglers for Aspen and Basalt fly fishing on the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork and Colorado Rivers.

They also offer a couple different options for lodging: Frying Pan Anglers - Cabins on the Frying Pan River, guided fly fishing trips, Taylor Creek cabins, Aspen skiing accomodation, Basalt, Roaring Fork and Colorado float trips

South of Grand Junction you have the Gunnison and a number of other great rivers. A couple years ago I camped at Pleasure Park which is 14 miles out of Delta, CO towards Hotchkis. You have to wade across the North Fork of the Gunnison to reach the trail that goes up river, it provides some awesome fishing. There is a trail on the other side, but I don't know how to access it.
Gunnison River Pleasure Park 8949 Pleasure park Rd Hotchkiss, CO Boat Equipment & Supplies - MapQuest

If you decide to explore the Gunnison I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of Doug's book:
New Gunnison Basin Fly Fishing Guidebook

Last edited:

photoguy

Reaction score
Hey thanks for that input. I never even considered that snow runoff might be an issue. Just goes to show that nothing beats local knowledge. Rain/snow has been an issue out here as well with many of the rivers I usually fish not accessible due to really high flow and depths.

I'll get in touch with a shop or two as well.
Thanks again-

photoguy

Reaction score
South of Glenwood Springs on hwy 82 is Basalt, CO. You will have the Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, the Colorado and the Crystal rivers to explore.
There are a number of very good fly shops in Basalt. I like Frying Pan Anglers, but be sure to stop in at one of the shops and pick up a public access map. Frying Pan Anglers for Aspen and Basalt fly fishing on the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork and Colorado Rivers.

South of Grand Junction you have the Gunnison and a number of other great rivers. A couple years ago I camped at Pleasure Park which is 14 miles out of Delta, CO towards Hotchkis. You have to wade across the North Fork of the Gunnison to reach the trail that goes up river, it provides some awesome fishing. There is a trail on the other side, but I don't know how to access it.
Gunnison River Pleasure Park 8949 Pleasure park Rd Hotchkiss, CO Boat Equipment & Supplies - MapQuest

If you decide to explore the Gunnison I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of Doug's book:
New Gunnison Basin Fly Fishing Guidebook
Much appreciate the input. It points us in a direction that we didn't have until reading your post!

How was the 'wading across the river'? Thinking of losthwy's comment about snow and impact on rivers?!

J

joe_strummer

Early July is green drake time on the lower Roaring Fork. But this looks like a year in which mid July is a safer bet. I think a lot of wade fishing could still be confined to headwaters streams in early July this year.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Much appreciate the input. It points us in a direction that we didn't have until reading your post!

How was the 'wading across the river'? Thinking of losthwy's comment about snow and impact on rivers?!
It was pretty easy, but I can't remember what the flow was, but maybe some others will chime in with that info.

J

joe_strummer

Probably should not expect to cross that river down there then.

tomsakai

Reaction score
I waded it a couple of years ago but in mid-late July. Flow was probably 100 cfs or less then but as others have said, this year is way different. You can check flows, google USGS stream flows for Gunnison River and you'll find it. Used to have a link but seem to have lost it.

reels

Reaction score
If you plan on river fishing, flows should definitely be a major consideration especially with our huge snowpack this year (as mentioned). It's hard to tell what the flows will be like then since it depends on the weather/location/etc.. Even if freestones are blown out with high water, likely there'll be some tailwaters that have more consistent flows... and of course lakes.

If you want to check the river flows yourself, I'd suggest using USGS only if you can't find the flow you want from DWR (Colorado Division of Water Resources)... DWR is more current; whereas USGS data points are a little behind.

There's a lot of water around those areas, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding some fish.
If you plan to hire a guide, you might just try to book the guide your first day there and try to pick his/her brain on other spots you could fish during your trip. Usually if guide gets your money they are will to share some info.

When I'm scouting new water I always just use google maps to hone in around the area I want to go, the search for 'fly fishing' to show all the fly shops. You can then visit the shop's website (most of them have a 'reports' section) to get more info on water locations/conditions in that area. I also will call up to shops to get info; I've never gotten cussed out.

And if you are camping, please be very aware of fire conditions and burn restrictions.. Last year the sky was dark with smoke in many places. Thanks!

durangobrad

Reaction score
You can drive back to the Austin Bridge and cross the Gunnison there to avoid the North Fork crossing. 42 minute drive from Pleasure Park.

Google Maps

photoguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info fellas...nothing beats local knowledge!

This is all great info and tips, and all very helpful. I'm just taking notes at the moment and will relay to my buddy when we sit and further refine our plan. I'm wondering though, if early July might not be the best window for us as I read about snowfall and runoff. FWIW, here in New England our late fall early winter saw some pretty heavy flows on rivers that don't typically experience it. Almost to the point that my fishing was seriously limited as I couldn't even get into the rivers at my usual spots and when I finally found some access, water that was usually knee high was now chest high+. Movement in the river was severely limited due to depth. So, that's all front and center on my mind as I read your comments. I'm thinking that maybe it's worth considering pushing our calendar back by a month or more? I think we have that flexibility.

I'm planning on calling a few fly shops soon to get some input from them as well.

durangobrad

Reaction score

This is all great info and tips, and all very helpful. I'm just taking notes at the moment and will relay to my buddy when we sit and further refine our plan. I'm wondering though, if early July might not be the best window for us as I read about snowfall and runoff. FWIW, here in New England our late fall early winter saw some pretty heavy flows on rivers that don't typically experience it. Almost to the point that my fishing was seriously limited as I couldn't even get into the rivers at my usual spots and when I finally found some access, water that was usually knee high was now chest high+. Movement in the river was severely limited due to depth. So, that's all front and center on my mind as I read your comments. I'm thinking that maybe it's worth considering pushing our calendar back by a month or more? I think we have that flexibility.

I'm planning on calling a few fly shops soon to get some input from them as well.
The good thing about that area is that a lot of waters are "tailwaters" aka controlled by dams storing water for agriculture. Although we had a big winter, lots of those reservoirs were very low before winter 20-40% full. This is mostly speculation but I think those rivers will see some nice spring releases but by early July will likely have nice fishable and floatable flows. If you are worried and can do it, pushing it back a month would be fine. And will put you into prime Caddis and Terrestrial season.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

Your concerns are valid, Colorado received a huge snow pack this winter, so its always good to have a backup plan. Runoff will all depend on how warm it gets and how quickly. Realize that the Gunnison in the Pleasure Park area is below Crystal Reservoir and the Frying Pan in Basalt is also below Ruedi reservoir.
You should follow the USGS water data site for Colorado so you stay informed as to what is happening as you get close to your trip dates. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/current/?type=flow&group_key=huc_cd

Here is the Bureau of Reclamation site for watching the flows on the reservoirs: https://www.usbr.gov/main/water/

reels

Reaction score
Later is always safer if you're worried about runoff flows, tho there's always fishing to be had.

But if you call around to some fly shops in that area and speak to someone who's been around awhile, they should at least be able to give you a guesstimate of runoff timeframes given current snowpack.

If you run into a dead end, feel free to PM me. I know a few people who guide up in that area and I can try to pick their brains a bit.

gunnison_country

Reaction score
Personally, I think if I was going to hit western Colorado in July I'd head to the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River, the Taylor River, the Smith Fork Trail in the Gunnison Gorge, and the East Portal (on the Gunnison River). I used to live in Glenwood and the area is just too crowded with fishermen for my taste...and it has only gotten worse since I left. I'd build most of my trip around the Gunnison area, but I'm probably biased.

photoguy

Reaction score
Thanks for that G.C., very helpful. As I mentioned, initially these names were just points on a map but with your and others help, the picture is starting to fill in a little bit.

Since my last post I've also talked with the 2 shops recommended. While both feel like there will be good fishing in early July, they're less certain about the ability to do a float trip as it might be more of a white water rafting trip if the run off is bad. I'll be talking with my buddy soon to see what the date flexibility is and maybe pushing it back a week might be a good idea. I also had an interesting conversation with Western Anglers who mentioned a private pond. At first I think Ned sensed my reluctance at the word 'pond' and went on to explain a bit more. His advice here was to save the wading guide fees as there's plenty of water to explore on our own and instead put those funds toward this private camp/pond thing which I'm still looking into but it did sound interesting.

Thanks again all!

reels

Reaction score
If you're just looking to catch some huge fish on private water you can consider places like Boxwood Gulch too

Fly Fishing Trips - Trout and Boxwood Fishing in Denver CO | Boxwood Gulch

I think they require a guide, but I've never looked into details.
Huge beautiful fish, but they aren't native; stocked (obviously).

Like Doug said above -- people from Denver do head that direction on the weekends so you can certainly expect to see (put lightly) other anglers if you fish public water in that area. But you also likely wouldn't be alone on the Gunni either.

photoguy

Reaction score
Thanks for that Reels. I'm content with a guppy on the end but that would be something! This trip is morphing a bit into possibly a family affair as now my 23 y.o. son might accompany us. Still working that out, but if he does it would be priceless to see him with a big fish on the end of his line :icon_smil

Also worth mentioning that as Eastern fishermen we're accustomed to relatively few fish and lots of other anglers per mile, at least in our experience. Really getting excited about the possibilities of seeing what the West has to offer.