Montana...home again

SDMT

Reaction score
I’m an OTR truck driver. Also had lived in Bigfork and Billings for about a year each. That was a long time ago.
I used to have a high paying job in so cal. Took a few vacations on the Henry’s Fork. Took one in Montana. Then almost died. Now live in the Black Hills.
Became a driver two years ago. Finally had a run through MT a month ago. The mountains seemed to welcome me. Going through in Missoula. Got out of the truck at a truck stop. Mountain I was at the base of almost spoke to me: “Welcome back. It’s been a while.” Needless to say. I felt very at home.
Then on my return trip. Got a call from dispatch on Friday morning. Said: Your delivery Saturday in Billings, is put off to Monday. ... I was 40 minutes west of Missoula. Headed east. ... Immediately all I could think was float trip. Hadn’t fly fished in 18 years. After almost dying. Then rehabilitating. I’m not crazy about anything of this world. But Montana? Fly Fish? This I would really like a lot.
I took a float trip down the Bitterroot on Saturday. Caught 7. Lost 3. Missed about a dozen hits.
They provided a Orvis Clearwater 9’5wt. I was impressed with that rod. Especially being inexpensive. Lotsa feel to it.
I had such a good time. I decided to get back into fly fishing. Bought stuff from Yellowstone Anglers in Livingston. Personally would like a little more strength to a rod. So I got a fenwick Aetos in 9’5wt. Battenkill reel. I want to keep it more minimal this time. Went crazy before. Had to have everything nicest. I’d say this Aetos is a better rod than my old sage 9’6wt.
I also bought a one year non resident license.
I also “complained” to dispatch about how I had to layover in Montana. Oh how I suffered! Dispatch replied: Oh you poor soul.
Now dispatch is trying to set me up into Penn. Carslile is where the regular run to Wash. comes from. Get me back through MT

SDMT

Reaction score
Great story, thanks for sharing! I hope your dream of more time in Montana comes true.
Dispatch tried last week. My run coming into eastern Penn. was too good/fast. Would have had to wait too long. They got me going back now. Maybe a Carlisle load to Seattle? Well see. Obvious they’re trying.
Then? We’ll see.
Might have to do with bribery. I bought Dispatch $200 worth of high quality pizza for lunch. :cool:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dispatch tried last week. My run coming into eastern Penn. was too good/fast. Would have had to wait too long. They got me going back now. Maybe a Carlisle load to Seattle? Well see. Obvious they’re trying.
Then? We’ll see.
Might have to do with bribery. I bought Dispatch $200 worth of high quality pizza for lunch. :cool:
Now your thinking, bribing dispatch sounds like an awesome plan!

SDMT

Reaction score
Yes I was eyeing places in Pa. Just hoping to have layover for something.
Things have changed drastically for me.
I'm going to work Oil Field Driving out of Gillette. That's 2 hours from my house. 4 days on, 2 off. Start next week. I'm home now for a break.
I really loved my past job. They all told me I'm welcome back, anytime. I had to face this new job just has too much to offer me. I'm not sure it will work out. I have to give it a good shot.
With this time off. I just have too much to do. Might run up in the Hills and fish.
They really should include the Black Hills along with the Rocky Mountain region. The Hills are geologically part of the Rocky Mountains.

del gue

Reaction score
Life is too short.

You only live once.

Live it right!!! Fly fish all you can, while you can, where you can!