Question about Spinney Reservoir in Colorado

gunnison_country

Reaction score
Fellas-
I'm going to be forced (long story) to spend this Saturday at Spinney Res. and have never fly fished anything other than moving water or high alpine lakes. I'm wondering if a guy could even catch fish from shore this time of year at Spinney? And if so, what flies would you advise me to try? Thanks for any help you can give me as I have no earthly idea how to fly fish a big reservoir. If I manage just one fish I'll be elated...ok, one big fish. Doug

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Chironomids and leeches! I’ve read several reports lately that chironomids have been on fire at Spinney. I started using balanced leeches at larger stillwaters last year and they’ve helped me a ton. (Both at Antero and Spinney).

As far as wade fishing, I’ve always seen many guys wading out from shore and they seem to do fine as well. I would think you’re still early enough in the season that you should find some cruisers not far out, but I’m sure someone with more experience there than myself will chime in.

Oh, and be ready for some wind!

My wife and I will likely be either there or Antero with the pontoons Saturday as well...but leaning more towards Antero at the moment.

CoS FlyGuy

Reaction score
If you're stuck at Spinney, then get in your truck and drive 2-3 miles west and fish the dream stream.

It should be pretty ideal fishing on the Dream Stream this weekend.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Late to the party, but damsels and dragons work all summer during their nymphal migration to shore. Otherwise chironomids under an indicator fished on the windy side should produce. How’s your trip going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoS FlyGuy

Reaction score
Would be interested to hear how the fishing went this weekend.

From what I understand the Dream Stream was pretty blown out from fast flows (was up to 600 this weekend).

I fished 11 Mile on Friday and it was a mess full of grass from the dam release. Went against yesterday and it was pretty fun fishing. The water was up, but the flows were perfect and no grass.