Wyoming Carp

dryfly307

Reaction score
Looking to get into the carp game this summer...there are some carp in nearby reservoirs which are trout lakes. But I have seen some monsters in there, so I’d like to try for them. Does anyone in the Rocky Mtn. region have any suggestions as to parts of the lakes to target, favorite flies, or when is the best time to go after them temp. wise?

I have heard that inlets and flooded areas during runoff will hold carp, but I really don’t know anyone who fishes for them! Figured I would poke around in here for some advice.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
All summer they cruise sandy and muddy flats. Also broken rock banks looking for mayfly nymphs, crayfish, and snails. It’s a sight fishing game, so it’s best to get a little bit elevated and look for them cruising the flats. Small buggers, bonefish-style flies, and anything wiggly and suggestive of nymphs or crayfish should work. Most patters are fairly simple and if you google “carp flies” you’ll spot some common themes. This time of year is prime for spotting then in the shallows! Good luck and report back on your adventures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Critter

Reaction score
I am new to this carp game also, but it’s all I fish for now. I have tried a lot of different flies. I ty all my own, earlier in the spring I had good luck on ankle bitters ( olive), bugle buddy ( olive), some luck on damsel fly imitations, now it seems as though I have been catching them on San Juan worms ( weighted with bead if deeper, non weighted if they are up shallow. It’s amazing how they will feed in one area of a lake for a period of time and like over night they are not there any more. So I go walking around the lake looking for them. Polarized sunglasses are a huge benefit ( won’t even try to fish for them without them). Once you spot them be careful they don’t see you, the fish here spook at the slightest movement, or if I cast to close, or the fly hits the water with a splash. I find my best success when they are feeding towards me, cast to their outside and past them, then slowly drag it up to them and in front of them. With the San Juan worms it seems as though I can’t drag them, or they spook. I have to cast far enough in front of them so as not to spook them, and hope they feed right to it and pick it up. I normally can’t see my fly ( don’t know how these guys can see such small flies out there a ways) so I try to just keep a tite line so I can feel weight when they pick it up. It’s frustrating as hell a lot of the time, but when you finally get one, it’s sooooooo coool ! It’s truly like hunting, fish. I love it. Fished the Platte here yesterday ( first time in moving water) only seen maybe three that were feeding, and didn’t get any to take. You will need patience, but don’t give up, it’s worth the fight. Keep us updated. The fish here in the lakes I fish seem to have moved to deeper water during this last week, as I have not spotted hardly any this week feeding shallow. GOOD LUCK, you will need it ! They seem to have a higher IQ then me, maybe that won’t be the case for you, I hope ! Have fun.
There’s trout here also, but after getting on these carp, I don’t really care to catch trout any more. One day I hope to fish for bone fish. Just noticed you posted this like 4 months ago, so how are you doing ? Don’t tell me you gave up, or didn’t try.

J

joe_strummer

Late summer and into fall is the best time of year for carpin' in my area, northern CO Front Range. Best water conditions and lots of solitary feeders to fish to. I put 7 or 8 or so in the net yesterday in a couple hours fishing mid-afternoon.

Outside of the cottonwood seed hatch, I do very close to all of my carp fishing with 2 flies: Egan's Headstand in rust and pale yellow, and Zimmerman's Backstabber in black and rust. 0X to 2X tippets, usually 1X.

My favorite set-up is a feeder facing my way so I can cast just beyond it, drop the fly without spooking the fish, strip the fly into position with one long strip and drop it in front of the fish, with a small added escape strip if I read it. I want that fly to look like something the fish has kicked up and that's trying to escape. Ideally this triggers a very definitive move on the fly and the eat is easy to read. If the fish does not jump it, I'll strip very slowly and then pick up if there's no eat once my fly safely away from the fish.

One of the most important carp skills imo is learning to read the fish, including being able to tell when to leave a fish alone. Spooked fish will take catchable fish with them, and carp have a knack for going from eating to uncatchable before they outright spook.

Critter

Reaction score
Wow, I am in Colorado also, but the fish in the lakes I have been catching them in all summer, are no where to be seen. This last week I have not spotted one fish at any of the lakes. Hope they show back up before it’s to cold, I can’t stand that winter is about here and they are gone till spring. I should have piles of flies tied by spring, got to do something. I have many back stabbers in various colors I’ve tied, but only caught a couple.

jdwy

Reaction score
Never fished for them but I caught one on an olive Wooley Bugger years ago at Wardell Reservoir. I see local guys bow fishing for them on the edge of Beck Lake, don't know how they do.