North Platte in Carbon County & Rattlesnakes

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, i'll be on my way to Rawlins, next week with my move there. Just wondering how many here that fish this area, around Saratoga and encampment river as well, have come across rattlers? I'm afraid that my dog might be bit if she comes across one. My dog has never seen one we being from the pacific northwest, and neither have I.

I'll be carrying my pistol when out there. I really dont want to shoot a rattler; rattlesnakes have to live too but I will if one bites my dog.

Or, if you come across one when you have your dog do most peeps shoot 'em anyway? If there is one rattler around does it mean there can be more close by? I know they like rocks,but I truly don't want to have an encounter.

will be getting my dog a snake vaccine.

4peace1piece

Reaction score
That's a tough one. They tend to thin out in the higher elevations, but there certainly could be a population out there. I've fished many portions of the Northgate Canyon and the Encampment trail in the canyon and never seen one. I'm guessing it would be more likely to see one out in the dryer prairie and sagebrush in the open plains of the basin closer to Saratoga. I'll be curious to see other responses if there are any.

I've seen them on the front range rivers of Colorado, but that's normally a little lower elevation. I found this but who knows how accurate: http://mtnhp.org/thumbnail/defaultN...geMaps/NSRangeMap_ARADE02120.jpg&maxWidth=600

lightline

Reaction score
If you have time to see and hear the rattler, you have time to get away from it, or call your dog away from it. They don't persue or attack. They're usually in pretty rocky areas, so your bullet is not going to stop in the ground, even in the unlikely event it hits the snake. When I lived in Saratoga and fished the river daily for 4 months straight, we mostly saw them below town. Once in a while one up around Encampment or Treasure Island farmland areas, but rare. I'd worry more about ticks and mosquitos carrying something that is life-changing. (Lyme, etc) My Labs never encountered a rattler, and they were curious about everything.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I took my dog to rattlesnake avoidance class as well as given her 2 vaccinations with Red Rock biologics...
if where you fish is a canyon, and under 8000 ft elevation it is suitable rattlesnake habitat.
They certainly do not want to waste their valuable venom on your dog but if you have a dog that has strong prey drive and has to put its nose into everything
then rattlesnake avoidance class using LIVE rattlers and e collar is very advisable.

okaloosa

Reaction score
do not use any rattlesnake avoidance classes that do not utilize an e collar and advertises "positive reinforcement" only.
you want your dog to be scared sh^%$less of the sight, smell, and sound of a rattlesnake.
YouTube

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
IMHO , that video was a freakin joke .

I do snake avoidance but not that way . I pull the fangs a day or two in advance , no sooner as they do grow back . I then tie the snake to a stake in my FENCED yard . Let one pooch at a time loose to discover said snake while watching from afar . Let the snake discover the snake , no lead ins . When then dog gets close and shows interest then and only then does he get shocked . I have done close to a hundred this way with NO accidents or repeats .

okaloosa

Reaction score
IMHO , that video was a freakin joke .

I do snake avoidance but not that way . I pull the fangs a day or two in advance , no sooner as they do grow back . I then tie the snake to a stake in my FENCED yard . Let one pooch at a time loose to discover said snake while watching from afar . Let the snake discover the snake , no lead ins . When then dog gets close and shows interest then and only then does he get shocked . I have done close to a hundred this way with NO accidents or repeats .
I actually agree with you 100%.
The rattlesnake should not be in a cage, should be situated unrestrained in the field with either mouth taped or fangs clipped/removed.
The dog should be allowed to investigate on its own and no shock if no interest shown.
the reason I posted the video was to give an idea of what is involved and to contrast with the (IMHO) potentially dangerous idea that you can create a meaningful aversion using
positive reinforcement only.

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right on, I do think having a rattler in a cage is good too. All those dogs when they saw it they sensed danger. in or out of a cage but yes, no cage seems to be more real. Either way, I appreciate the training video. I contact Game & fish and there is a gal around Rawlins that teaches the course. I'll be looking into it.

I'm a bit nervous for myself as well. i'm not young anymore. i'm 62, diabetic and have only 45% of my heart beating. I get bit I would think either God gives me a miracle or I won't make it back to the truck, much less make it to the H. Oh well, we all gotta go sometime!

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hey thanks, I've been reading up and I just sure hope my dog doesn't walk right up on one bc maybe the snake will just strike instead of warning. That's my main concern. I'm wondering if situations can be different without the rattle? I sure hope so. I'm not 100% sure if my dog would investigate or not. I"m thinking if she saw it rattle that she would stay away. this class will be fun to be in. I can't wait to start fishing. I've been looking at pictures for over a month now. A lot of good friendly people in Pine Bluffs, but i'll be happy to be near a river.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Oh , and one myth buster here . A Mohave rattlesnake will pursue you , I've had it happen . That was a after a close encounter and it was pissed off . It didn't attack but it did stalk me from the side . Slithered right with the way I was walking and stared at me the whole time . I don't think Mohave's exist anywhere but southern AZ and Ca but I could be mistaken about that .

Grizz900 , Most all rattlers will warn you unless you step on it . I was in my boxers in our laundry room to get a fudgesicle from the freezer when I heard one buzzing . With my hearing I thought it was behind me on the deck . After turning only my head to look back I saw in my peripheral vision he was actually coiled less than a foot from my bare legs and feet . I stood my ground and he slithered behind a tote that we keep dog food in . I backed out and got a 22 and came back in and capped his azz . My property has given me at least 10 snakes a year so I have learned not to be surprised . I think that's why I haven't been bitten .
One other time I was in my boat in the middle of Roosevelt lake about a mile out . I found a rattler resting , coiled up clear out there . I imagine a bass or egret got him . They are everywhere and no where in particular so keep an eye out and watch where you put your hands , especially when climbing rocks in or around water . I have a hundred more stories but the all begin and end the same .

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jangles, geeze, maybe I should go back to the pacific northwest, Oregon sounds a lot safer:D I always felt the west coast is a safe place for fishing. I often think about the peeps who fish and hunt southern states to Louisana, they get them cottonmouths, and water mockisins, maybe even a croc after flooding, how many dogs get bit out there. Even duck huntin in timber what goes on out there? Seems u just don't know when u could come across one. I hear that, watch where I put my hands"

I welcome any good fly fisherman, if you like fishing with a other's i'd feel safer out there instead of fishing alone.

YouTube

YouTube

I swear, these *******s can be anywhere. you could be sleeping in your tent, wake up and boom . they sure blend in with the terrain. I was all gung ho about camping out and I'm really going to be careful. I wonder if Idaho, has a lot of snakes? Well, be careful out there guys. I have to hand it to ya'all who fish from shore.

Last edited: