9/26-9/30, fly into bozeman airport, then what?

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey all, I had some points and booked a short jaunt to MT. I arrive around 1 in Bozeman on Thursday 9/26. Here are three options for trips I am working on, what else do you bright minds suggest? Basically I don't want to drive more than 4 hours from Bozeman. I'm camping the whole time, no hotels.

1. Rent a car and drive from Bozeman. Park my tent at cabin creek campground, which is right between hegben and quake lakes. Fish the lower Madison Thursday night, Fri, Sat, and Sun. Drive back to the airport Monday morning.

2. Rent a car and drive to Gardiner MT. Get a backcountry permit. Stay the night at Monmouth campground in Yellowstone. Then get up super early on Friday, and drive to Slough campground. Hike in to the second meadow and fish/ camp there until Monday.

3. Rent a car and drive to Lodgepole trailhead up in the Bob, 47.226137, -113.197693, hike in a camp/ fish along Youngs Creek. Hike out Monday early.

My flight out is 1:20 on Monday.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

planettrout

Reaction score
I would have a plan B. if it snows, it does that in Mid.-Late September, and access to different areas in the Park might be iffy. That could also affect plan 3. For four days, I would and have focused on the Madison from between the lakes down to the channels section outside of Ennis. This was $3.00 Bridge in mid-September 2017...

PT/TB

wthorpe

Reaction score
It usually doesnt snow all that much in July and August. But there are torrential rains, hail and lightning every day in Jy and Ag. Seriously, i dont know why so damned many people come out here. I have been run off by hail one day and lightning the next just this week. And there are no fish either.

With that background: I do second teh notion you have to be flexible not only about weather but general fishing conditions as well. Madison and NE YNP could be great or terrible or great one day and terrible the next. i would ck in with fly shops like Blue Ribbon in West Yell a week or so out. One ohter twist on your Madison plans: lake run fish can be in the Madison in the park when you plan your trip. If the fish are there you might catch a few big fish; if they arent there of course you wont. Madison and Firehole in YNP might be going by then too for dry flies. Madison Junction (where Firehole and Gibbon form Madison is about an hour's drive (or less) from Cabin Creek.

Longs for Cutts

Reaction score
None of these are particularly good ideas. I suggest planning to fish low-elevation yet non-trampled water (lower Madison is trampled). Canyons of the Yellowstone if you're looking for a hike. Less-used accesses on the Yellowstone, Madison, and Gallatin if you're not. By late September I neither fish nor guide anything much over 6000 feet unless there are fall browns in it, and I'm already probably done on Slough for the year.

h2ofishfloatski

Reaction score
Mornin'
Both Planet Trout and Longs for Cuts provided solid info. You just need to pick an entrance. I like end of September as usually waters that I haven't fished since early season come back into play. Consider camping
1) at Bakers Hole, just north of West Yellowstone - it provides access to upper Madison, Hebgen and Quake Lakes, and the west side of the park waters with easy access into West Yellowstone if you want a non-camp meal.
2) at Ennis, to fish mid valley waters and down into Valley Garden and same town type access as #1
3) at Mammoth to access Yellowstone, canyons, Gardner. Mammoth campground has regular bathrooms with electricity, not just outhouses, for a cleanup before you head back to airport.
from an x philly girl....

caddis75

Reaction score
Love those suggestions. Especially #3, as my fellow passengers will appreciate a shower before I sit next to them for 3 hours.

jimbaker488

Reaction score
So when is the weather nice? I was there in June and man I was cold! JK Thank you.
Sure it can snow in MT in September but generally speaking that's the best weather of the year in anyplace in this great country !
I'v been vacationing on a regular basis in southwestern MT in the latter half of September for many years now and one of the primary reasons is that
generally speaking the weather at that time of the year is utterly spectacular.
Enjoy your trip, friend.

robtmitchell

Reaction score
Hi,

I may be able to help a little.
I go there every year now for the last 7-8 at that same time, the last week of September or first of October.
I do mostly float tube fishing on the lakes with a little bit of Big Brown hunting on the Madison (along with millions of others).
I am intermediate level but determined. Nothing like some of the experts on this forum.

The prior post are correct on the weather. Some years it rains and a few times it has snowed some but it has not been enough to cause any issues other than slower driving and some whining but since I am by myself no one can hear me.

I do take some Scotch in my tube just in case. One year it rained enough to muddy the creeks flowing into the lakes but some of the Madison River was still fishing well.
One year it rained and snowed on Quake all afternoon and I was the last fool out there when the sun came thru at 5:30 and the fish went bonkers for me, so worth the effort.

As far as timing the Browns will be starting to run, how much depends on the storm patterns prior. If there have been a couple of cool weather fronts move thru with rain or snow it will be much better. If it is beautiful weather all month with high pressure there will not be many big Browns on the move.

You really want some foul weather for the big fish and to discourage some of the fisherman, and I say that in the nicest way, they should stay home and safe. If it is raining, hit it hard all day with snacks aboard and emergency supplies in your waders in case you can't stop fishing. It can happen.

The crowds will be at all those spots mentioned above, so if you go, try early when it is cold and late after 4:30 as many folks head in between 4-5.
Also be patient and willing to walk or hike away from the car oriented folks.
There are many fly shops in West , Ennis and Kelly Galloup's place just below Quake Lake.

If you want to add to your trip cost you can car camp at Driftwaters RV (nice location) and they have a large shower room, and bar with a small restaurant. No direct River access on property.
If they don't answer the phone just show up and ask during the day.

Campfire Lodge across from the campground you mentioned has a restaurant and camping and cabins but they seem to close down that week so you can check with them. It is a nice location for between the lakes.
Beaver creek camp ground would be ideal as well but it closes for the year early.

Any more questions you can use the message contact if you like.

If you can rent a float tube, fins and NET, in this area it may add to your fun, give you a break from wading (the Madison is not deep but swift and rocky and can wear you down).
There are many places to fish and if its bright and sunny all month look for something different to check out for future trips and don't focus all your effort on the browns that are not moving much yet.
I repeat this mistake too often.

Rob

englishsetter

Reaction score
I second the notion of hitting Driftwaters to "car camp". My brother in law ,who is a guide for Kelly at the Slide Inn keeps his RV there and lives there for the season. I am there a couple times a year. Rachel, who owns the place is great and very accomodating. It is a good location for your base camp. It is my favorite time of the year to be in that area.