Lake Roberts in Gila NF (New Mexico)?

annapolis

Reaction score
I'll be passing through this area soon and was wondering if anyone had experience with it. I understand it's stocked with trout and catfish--is that still the case? Worth a try? I'd be shore-bound. Could maybe do some spinning-gear bottom fishing for cats if the trout will be holding too deep--? Any pointers would be very welcome, even (especially) if it's just to say "don't waste your time."

bochim

Reaction score
I'll be passing through this area soon and was wondering if anyone had experience with it. I understand it's stocked with trout and catfish--is that still the case? Worth a try? I'd be shore-bound. Could maybe do some spinning-gear bottom fishing for cats if the trout will be holding too deep--? Any pointers would be very welcome, even (especially) if it's just to say "don't waste your time."
I used to live north near Vanderwagon and we camped there to scout for elk. I left NM about 5 years ago but the fishing was pretty good then. Game and fish stocked the lake. Best luck was had by walking to the other side of the lake and using garlic flavored power bait. Good luck.