PA, has some very huge browns

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I visit Instagram often and saw a brown trout that was huge. Somebody replied there are bigger fish out there than the one shown and that the gene pool is very good this year. I've never seen the N. Platte put out a fish like that. They must be doing something good back east in PA. Had to be...I don't know....17 lb brown!But man it sure was beautiful. most awesome brown I ever saw

Roger Hinchcliff FISHING PAGE on Instagram: “#Repost @sharplineoutdoors * * * Took a one way ticket to brown town yesterday with @a_n_fishing and @rebeccalois7 #fish #fishing…”

Last edited:

cooutlaw

Reaction score
sorry no pics but I visit Instagram often and saw a brown trout that was huge. Somebody replied there are bigger fish out there than the one shown and that the gene pool is very good this year. I've never seen the N. Platte put out a fish like that. They must be doing something good back east in PA. Had to be...I don't know....17 lb brown!But man it sure was beautiful. most awesome brown I ever saw
Maybe you haven't hit the right sections of the North Platte.....Yet?

miracle mile brown trout - Google Search

grey reef brown trout - Google Search

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yes absolutely, I do apologize to the great north Platte Riv. you are right. I haven't even seen the river and I have no experience here. ive been stuck in pine bluffs since june. never fished anywhere. I got to get out of here. I guess i'll correct myself..even though I've only lived here a short time has anyone ever seen a brown like this from the North Platte? That's one beautiful brownie. what do u think its lbs at?

cooutlaw

Reaction score
yes absolutely, I do apologize to the great north Platte Riv. you are right. I haven't even seen the river and I have no experience here. ive been stuck in pine bluffs since june. never fished anywhere. I got to get out of here. I guess i'll correct myself..even though I've only lived here a short time has anyone ever seen a brown like this from the North Platte? That's one beautiful brownie. what do u think its lbs at?
I would say that fish in the woman's hands is held out in front of her and very close to the camera. Her hand width is likely 4" + across full open grip...you can judge from there. I'd guess 23-24"s and 4-6 lbs +/-

Check out the Platte pics in the links above.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Anytime Grizz.....you'll get your shot further over west sometime I'm sure. Hang tough...it'll be there when you get around to it.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I remember in the mid 70's Field & Stream and Outdoor Life did articles on the giant browns in Pa, mostly caught at night with big streamers...
I tried fishing at night and caught a bat......

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I remember in the mid 70's Field & Stream and Outdoor Life did articles on the giant browns in Pa, mostly caught at night with big streamers...
I tried fishing at night and caught a bat......
The biggest brown I ever saw in the flesh in PA was brought into the newspaper where I worked. It was almost 30 inches long and had been caught in a tiny tributary of Bald Eagle Creek by a 9-year-old. The kid had a little trout take his worm and then the big brown came from nowhere and nailed the little trout.

And I tried night fishing in PA on Big Fishing Creek in 1964 and caught a bat on my back cast as well. I chickened out and cut the leader instead of tryin to unhook the bat.

Don

nawagner

Reaction score
Mousing, that's the ticket for night fishing I hear. Do a web search for "Hook Shots mousing" for a couple of amusing videos of the Upper Deleware and northern Michigan mousing.

2bornot2b

Reaction score
I caught a 22 inch brown out of Boiling Springs outside of Carlyle about 10 years ago. Unfortunately I lost the photo. The stream was significantly different 4 years ago and little success.

cwb124

Reaction score
The biggest brown I ever saw in the flesh in PA was brought into the newspaper where I worked. It was almost 30 inches long and had been caught in a tiny tributary of Bald Eagle Creek by a 9-year-old. The kid had a little trout take his worm and then the big brown came from nowhere and nailed the little trout.

And I tried night fishing in PA on Big Fishing Creek in 1964 and caught a bat on my back cast as well. I chickened out and cut the leader instead of tryin to unhook the bat.

Don
LOL. I got the night fishing bug after reading a book from Jim Bashline called "Night Fishing for Trout". I think it's out of print but if you can rustle up a copy I highly recommend you do so. He apparently was a bad drunk but a hell of a fisherman and a funny writer. So my 23 year old self ran out to the big hole up on Big Fishing Creek (Anyone who has fished that streams knows what I'm talking about) and my result was also a bat. Got him in the arm and that was the end of my fishing.

Pennsylvania has such a potential to be a far better fishery than it currently is, and I'd argue it could be on par with some western states but the ingrained culture of put and take and the game commission's absolute fear of losing license dollars if they don't dump stockers into every public access point will keep it from being so. Don't get me wrong, there is amazing fishing in this state. We have some of the most famous waters in North America, but fishing pressure is absolutely through the roof and the big boys only come out at night now. We probably have 20-25 other waters that could be as good as Penns Creek and Slate Run and others but they currently fall prey to the put and take culture we have where every good ol' boy feels it is his God given right to weave 6 trout through the gills and take them home to the frying pan. These waters are absolutely hammered for about 3-4 weeks until the stockers (and some planters and natives) are harvested and then the rods are put away until next April.

While PA doesn't have the water supply of western states, we arguably have a longer growing season and more food available to our fish. We just can't get away from the culture of pounding waters and keeping loads of fish.

pheldozer

Reaction score
99.5% that's a great lakes fish if it was caught in PA, which are significantly larger and heavier than what you'll find on the average stream in PA/western NY,

ejsell

Reaction score
Almost definitely lake run fish. They follow the steelhead in. At trout run in the nursery water you can pick them out pretty easily. Usually just a few among hundreds of steelhead. We did watch several get caught from the beach one day a couple years ago and would occasionally spot them in the lower stretches of tribs. I don't know if they come as far in as the steelhead do. They are every bit as big as that one looks. The ones we saw caught were 25"-30" but really fat compared to the steelhead.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk