Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  79
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Miracle Mile TR

Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Default Re: Miracle Mile TR

Quote Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
    Beautiful fish! Congrats on catching anything during these sudden weather changes.
    You guys are tough tent camping in these cold temps this October.

I was out last week in my cargo trailer camper with good heat, and I am too much of a spoiled baby to go back to tent or car camping in the cold.

A slight sidetrack..... We have a 7X16 ft cargo camper that we converted. Our heater is a fully vented Nu-Way 2000 propane stove. (Model 2000 - Nu-Way Stove) It is built for duck blinds and ice shacks. They also use them in hunting tents.

It works great for me. I enclosed the bottom of the stove and ran a pipe through a marine deck port in the floor for the combustion air. That way the stove is fully vented with the exhaust going out the stove pipe and the intake air coming from outside. It does well a high altitude, wind, and doesn't add moisture to the air inside. The stove pipe also goes out a 4 inch marine port in the upper side wall. When I travel the pipes come in and the ports close tight to keep dust out.

Here is a picture of the stove in the camper while the camper was being built... no doors on cabinets etc. You can see the air intake pipe that goes through the floor. Also note the damper in the stove pipe. It is a good addition to keep heat in.

Sorry for the side track, just wanted to share a good alternative heat for campers. Personally I love the two cargo trailer campers we converted, first a 6x12 then the 7X16. They are really rugged for the abuse of mountain roads and dispersed camping. I use ours for 3 to 4 months of the year at a time.
    I was in the mountains in Colorado this past August fishing and there was a couple there that had converted a cargo trailer like yours . They had it so they could pull a side by side inside and when they got where they were going to be the bunks on either side dropped down . Made a very cool toy hauler .

2. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Another great trip with Larry. Despite the wind it was still good. The freak snow storm that came through a few days before pretty much shut down the fishing everywhere it passed. Left Larry and headed to West Yellowstone. Caught a dozen or so whitefish and a couple 12" rainbows on the Madison between the lakes the first day. Talked to several folks who weren't catching anything. One drift boat stopped to fish with me an they had caught two that day. Day two and three were slow also. Stopped in at Kelly Gallop's place and he said the snow dropped the water temps pretty good. Finally started warming back up on day 4 and the fish lit up. Landed at least 20 or so at West Fork Campground. On fish number 4 the old trusty iPhone took a swim. Note to self: Quit taking pics standing in the middle of the river. Put it in a bag of rice on the dashboard for 4 days and it finally started showing signs of life again. Unfortunately, no pics from the time it went in the water. Cool thing was I dropped it in the net taking a pic. Net slipped out of my hand. Pulled it back with the lanyard and still had the fish and phone in it. Phone seems to be working fine now with only a couple options not working and it doesn't hold a charge as long. Stopped in Casper to visit a former colleague and friend. Fished with him for a couple days. Got caught in the last blizzard that went through. Learned several new places. Fishing was slow but still learned new areas. Saw lots of fish just couldn't get them to bite. No one was catch much of anything. Did land a nice rainbow at Fremont and another one just south of town.

Finally made it home. Fishing and trip was fun but it's always good to get home.

Patriotic fly by from our national bird.
    IMG_5169.jpg

A few fish from the trip.

IMG_5186.jpg
    IMG_5190.jpg
    IMG_5195.jpg
    IMG_5197.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Last weekend Kevin (aka (kevind62) and I fished and camped on the Miracle Mile. I arrived ahead of Kevin so I decided to fish for a couple hours, on my third cast while using my 3 wt Trout Spey I landed a 21 inch rainbow. I was pretty excited and thought this was going to be an epic trip. But that evening a cold front rolled through and that seemed to put the fish off. The next couple of days were pretty slow fishing, mostly little guys were caught, but we still had a great time.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Part 2. It would only let me post 5 pics on the first reply.

Casper,WY.
    The weatherman said we were going to get a light dusting in the morning. I'd hate to see it when it really snows. There was no snow on the truck or ground when we got to Todd's mom's that morning for breakfast. This fell in just over an hour and slowed long enough for us to shovel a little of the driveway and push some off the trucks. Then it snowed heavy again for another hour then lightly all day.
    IMG_5204 2.jpg

Fished a couple small streams off the beaten path. Fishing gear for Montana sure is a lot different from the stuff we use down south.
    IMG_5146.jpg

Stopped at Russell Stovers in KS to pick up the wife some candy. . It's just east of Salina. If you're ever in the area these caramel pecan apples are phenomenal! The pecans taste like a pecan pie.
    IMG_5215.jpg

Total miles on the trip. (Sorry about the sideway pic. Got tired of flipping them)
    IMG_5217.jpg
    Kevin
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

I got there late that afternoon. We fished by the bridge. I landed 4 in a row. All nice rainbows averaging just 16" shy if 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    That wind can be tough on tents as you know Larry. I've had several totaled by winds fishing Kodiak on the coast. My last tent camp the tent survived but my stay dry tarp was taken down at 2 AM.

Fishing is so unpredictable at least you guys had a good visit. That first one is a dandy.
    Kevin

6. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Kevin

I had an awesome time fishing with you despite the bad luck with the cold front zipping the lips on the fish.

You just never know what the weather is going to through at you this time of year. Glad you had a great trip and got home safely. Good idea about getting the wife a great gift!
    Larry

8. Likes kevind62, cpiercem liked this post

Same here. I'll try to pick better fishing conditions next time we meet up. That was a sort of "spur of the moment" trip. You know me. When the urge hits me I go fishing. You also know me that I'm not a "weekend warrior" or "primetime fisherman". I go fishing when I feel like fishing. I enjoy those days when I just hammer them. But I also enjoy the challenge of not getting skunked. A 4" rainbow, a mountain whitefish, or a sucker counts as not getting skunked. But it's always great and fun to hear the excitement in a friend's voice when they hook up. And that double hookup on the rainbows was a first for me and pretty cool. Just wish I could have landed both. Thanks for getting the pic. You need to get quicker with the cam though so next time you can get one of those classic falls I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Kevin

I had an awesome time fishing with you despite the bad luck with the cold front zipping the lips on the fish.

You just never know what the weather is going to through at you this time of year. Glad you had a great trip and got home safely. Good idea about getting the wife a great gift!
    Kevin

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234