Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fly line for the wind river range....

I would like to hear from some guys if it is critical or not on choice of fly lines for certain rivers. I very well will be moving to the area in Nov. The Wind, the Bighorn and a few others. I am so excited I can't wait to be there.

That about using Orvis Bank shot fast sink tip?

I don't have a spare spool and can buy one when i'm able but all I have right now is one of Rio's new floating lines.

i'm thinking since it's winter now, a good set up is to throw bigger leech patterns, sculpins, as per a few website reccomendations. So, using a sink tip 6ips sounds like the ticket! I may take my rio line off as the Orvis bank shot is on sale right now for 49.00 that's half price

Can't wait, i'm gonna be so excited.
    Sometimes you eat the Bear & sometimes the Bear eats you

Default Re: fly line for the wind river range....

Hi Dan,

That Bank Shot line is pretty specialized, but for all I know it is just what you want. There is a thread about that line in the Fly Lines category under Tackle Talk and it is fairly near the top.

You might want to read that before spending money on the line. My first thought would be that you are better off sticking with you regular floater for most rivers. Even in winter, a fair amount of your fishing is liable to be with smaller midges and nymphs. You would probably be better off to vary your leaders and/or weighting for the fishing you will be doing.

And if you are on the river on a nice day, you might end up with some fish feeding on midges or BWO emergers and if you have no option but the Bank Shot, you would be SOL.

Your normal floating line is a lot more versatile and can handle lots of different situations.

But that is just my opinion. You really should read the thread I mention though.

Another option without having to buy a new spool and a specialized line would be to use a mono rig to fish those bigger flies. That could just go as a long (27 foot) leader on the end of your regular line. If you want or need to fish smaller dries you could then sub a regular leader for the mono rig.

The story on mono rigs is at Troutbitten.com and is worth reading even if you don’t go that way right now.

Good luck,

Don

Don

3. Likes cooutlaw, mcnerney, cpiercem, trev liked this post

For me rivers mean floating line, it took a few years of carrying multiple spools and swapping lines when changing flies before I discovered that I could use a floater for everything I needed to do. I still have extra spools, but they aren't in my pocket.

5. Likes buffler razz liked this post

I fish eastern Idaho and western Wyoming and with very rare exceptions, I fish a floating line. I have a spare spool for one of my rods and have a sink tip line on it. My thought was for streamers, etc. Rarely do I use it. We were in Yellowstone a week ago, bouncing eggs off the bottom, floating line and weight worked just fine.
    There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
    Everyone knows what they mean.
    What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.

Razz

hey thanks to all, Don, I will surely read up. I can get a little caught up sometimes when reading things from tackle manufactures. Orvis, is a awesome company and the only thing I ever bought from them is a zinger and their Safe Passage Hip pack for 109.00

The help on here has been helpful. It seems the line of choice always comes back as a floater. My problem is that if we are nymphing, while using a floating line and we need to get down deep, then does this mean we need split shot? I don't like using split shot, i'd take tungsten instead but I also can't afford to hit my rod especially a 6wt. how do you guys get your nymph's where u want them?

or I guess most trout hold in 2 to 6ft so that's not to darn bad!

You don't need different types of line for different regions, you need them for different water conditions. As others have already said, for most river fishing a floater is almost always the answer. For nymphing, if you don't like spit shot, a longer leader and a weighted fly will give you more control than a sinking line. For streamer fishing, a sink tip can be handy of you're trying to swing flies near the bottom, but you can do the same thing with a short length of lead core looped to the tip, or a fast-sinking leader. Polyleaders vs. sink-tips | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.

first off, when I mentioned that orvis line for wind river range i wasn't implying about the entire range. i.e regions. i'm aware it's water conditions. With water conditions it can include a few rivers or lakes in the region where that fast sink tip may work since i don't know the average depth, of those waters. After looking at videos, there can be many stretches of river where a fast sink tip would help. Most waters are shallow so i can see where the floater would work best.

And i do have and tied many weighted flies. I just didn't mention weighted flies in my post. So, why would i have more line control with a longer leader and a weighted fly? i'll try to answer it first! the weighted fly is one thing but the longer my leader the longer it would take for my fly to sink. I think you told me the opposite of what u should have.

where does the line control come in with a floater? the weighted nymph, would take longer to pull my line down under, right? Then u said swinging bigger patterns with a fast sink tip will work. where does line control factor in when using a faster sink tip? u speaking of the belly of the line which is underwater and takes much fineasse to work it correctly to detect strikes?

I can see where I wouldn't really like using a sinking tip because even though the line is camo, or a stealthy olive green moving through the water column, i can see now, where the longer leader would make more stealthy presentation!

Blog Entries

I'll offer advice but my methods mean you have to do some tinkering and some learning. I haven't messed with extra spools or changing lines from float to sink or even changing tips for that matter ever since 1994. If you had the time to read these > Getting It Down, Sinking The Fly and Fishing / Controlling The Submerged Fly

Those two articles will explain how to make any fly line an effective streamer or wet fly line. If I were going to choose just one line it would be a weight forward and then I'd use mini heads as described in the posts for subsurface fishing. When you need to fish dries you just change the leader. It is how I have been fishing for 25 years now and I somehow manage to get by.

Not only do I get by but I don't buy or need to carry extra lines, spools and so forth. If you are a man living on a fixed income it may be right up your alley. If you have any questions just ask

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

11. Likes cpiercem liked this post
    Orangevale Ca.(Sacramento) Estes Park Co.

Do you mainly fish overhand or underhand?

Ard, thank you for the link, haven't got to it yet but i appreciate it and I'm sure it will help me an aweful lot.

I miss Wasilla, i miss alaska, i was gonna move back a few yrs ago when i tried pleading with the canada border peeps. Never a felony, never dui, nothing. only a few misdomeaners in my 62 yrs. i even had or still have a valid wa state carry conceal lic. and them darn people won't let me cross into canada, since i moved back down. i've driven through ca 3 times and when i lived in NW WA they decided to say no u can't come in. unbelievable harassment! so i'm stuck down here but the waters here in NW Wyoming are pristine wilderness unlike anything i saw in AK, however i only fished wasilla, and the kenai peninsula. Over here the mnts are right on top of you in the wind river range.

blows me away and i'm about ready to live under all that! I exclusivly used a Rio versi tip for all my fishing in the 6 yrs i was up there. Thank you again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast