I too am going to montana and jackson hole.

dubs chops

Reaction score
Hey guys I am also planning a vacation in early june to jackson hole and to yellowstone. the difference is I am a complete Newb. I wont have money for a guide either and was hoping to get some info from you guys on where i should stay that would have some fishing close by i could go do while the wife and mother and child go shopping or something, Also what are the fish up there eating? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Coloradokid

Reaction score
Im from CO, and here, June is a big runoff month. Id guess its very similar to Montana. Unless you plan on fishing tailwaters, they should be clear untill any tributaries mess it up. There are alot of members from Montana, im sure they can give some advise on where to fish that time of year.

Good Luck!!

Coloradokid

Reaction score
With the warm temps all the snow will be melting, causing the water color to trun to dirt or mud. It is very difficult to fish muddy water. And the water level will be extra high because of all the snow melt. Tailwaters are rivers that flow right out of the bottom of a reservior, and they do not freeze, b/c the water coming out of the bottom the res is much warmer than suface water. Im guessing you will have to fish tailwaters to find clear, wadable water. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other question.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance but what does that mean?
The rivers are driven by melting snow and glacial run off. June, even late June rivers will be high and murky.

Earliest I would look to fish would be late July, better in August, cooler but still good fishing in early Sept.

dubs chops

Reaction score
well unfortunately I can't change the dates. I will be up there with other family. Guess I will have to make do with what I have. What about in yellowstone park?

Flycaster1221

Reaction score
snowpack in the area is around 100% right now, so most waters will be running high and murky. however, thanks to thermal activity by the headwaters, the firehole in yellowstone is at its peak during late spring/early summer. it can be a challenging river, but there are plenty of nice trout. generic nymph patterns and BWO's should work well, along with some of the best evening caddis hatches i've ever fished. i had great success last june with Craig Mathews' iris caddis, check him out at blueribbonflies.com . good luck!

mtflyfishguide

Reaction score

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Hey guys I am also planning a vacation in early june to jackson hole and to yellowstone. the difference is I am a complete Newb. I wont have money for a guide either and was hoping to get some info from you guys on where i should stay that would have some fishing close by. . .
I was up in Jackson Hole a couple of years ago (stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge) on a "family vacation". Hadn't fly-fished in decades, but at my wife's insistence took along my fly rod, even though I figured it would be not worth much in full run-off season. As it happened, while the rivers were full run-off, the lakes that are part of the Snake River system were easily fishable, and I had great dry-fly fishing in stream outlets going into the lakes (Jenny Lake in particular). Best advice I got in Jackson Hole was from Will Dornan's in Moose, a few miles north of Jackson. Their suggested flies really hit well - better than those suggested by Jack Dennis' in Jackson. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Firehole River in Yellowstone also fishes well in what is normally run-off season, largely due to the hot springs feeding into it which keeps the river warmer than other rivers in the area.

This trip was what really got me back into fly-fishing; caught a huge Cutthroat on 30-year-old 6x tippit (so much for the arguments about tippit's shelf life), and that was enough to get me back into this greatest of all pursuits. Man, I wish I was going back this year after last year's trip was "blown out" (pun intended) by Hurricane Ike. :icon_wink

flyrayfishing

Reaction score
Their is some cabins right next to the Old Faithfull Lodge that are not bad...Last year we took the kids up their and it was alot of fun..I think we paid $65.00 a night.........................Its walking distance from Old Faith Full and the stores.....Now its just a cabin and the bath rooms and showers are in a dif building.............................We livein Lander about 3 hours away in Wyoming and are planning 3 different trips this summer with my 3 boys..