Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Yellowstone backcountry advice?

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    Thanks for the update. Yellowstone has changed their regulations since I last camped there. However, the Slough Creek Campground and the other campgrounds near Slough Creek is still first come, first served:

Yellowstone Camping FAQ - Yellowstone Forever

The seven campgrounds operated by the National Park Service are available on a first-come, first-served basis on the day of your stay. These include: the Mammoth and Indian Creek Campgrounds near Mammoth Hot Springs, the Lewis Lake Campground near the South Entrance, the centrally located Norris Campground, and the Pebble Creek, Slough Creek, and Tower Fall Campgrounds in the northeast area of the Park. The campgrounds usually fill by early morning, so plan ahead to get a site.

The other five campgrounds are operated by lodging concessioner Yellowstone National Park Lodges, and these sites can be reserved in advance online or by calling 866-GEYSERLAND (866-439-7375). These include the Bridge Bay and Grant campgrounds near Yellowstone Lake, the Canyon campground near the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River, and the Madison campground near West Yellowstone. There is also an RV Park, with 344 sites for hard-sided RVs only, at Fishing Bridge near Yellowstone Lake.
    Thanks Silver! I think this is still talking about the frontcountry campground at Slough Creek. If you're interested, I read some more, I don't think they've changed the backcountry permitting, you still apply for the backcountry sites because you need a permit to camp in the backcountry. These are the few campsites in the 2nd and 3rd meadows (2S1-2S6), rather than the main campsite in the lower meadow.

Must we give away every secret or tip we have on the public forum...Geesh

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    Must we give away every secret or tip we have on the public forum...Geesh

Dave
    Nope! And I don't think anybody has, just thought I'd see if anybody had suggestions for a first time visitor to Yellowstone. I doesn't hurt to ask, right?

I will reply by PM

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

5. Likes nuchamps5 liked this post

Cache creek is awesome but the fish are small. Fished it last week of August and water was low. Fish stacked in holes. Good numbers but not big. Pretty decent hike from soda butte. Passed a couple of campsites on our way to where we ended up fishing. Hell roaring creek is great as well. Awesome hike crossing the Yellowstone bridge. Not sure about camp sites near hellroaring. Be warned though, the hike back to the parking lot is steep but doable. Small fish as well and more pocket water type fishing so you have to cover ground after you take one or two. Awesome day trip if you’re up for a moderately strenuous hike on the way back.

7. Thanks nuchamps5, Kyo thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12