Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wyoming Fishing

1. Default Wyoming Fishing

Hey Guys I live in Lander, Wy...Its about the center of the state.............Iam new at the whole FlyFishing thing.My question is about this time what are the flyes to use in the waters.
    Thinking about going Saturday and just do not know what to use.

2. Default Re: Wyoming Fishing

I have always had luck on Grey Reef using red blood worms. With spring almost here, id try San Juan worms, Blood worms, and some eggs. But that is a tail water, so if you are fishing free stones rivers or streams, eggs, BWO (blue wing olives) emergers or drys, princes, and sj worms. Hope this helps, some one from WYO can probly give better details, but these flys listed are basic very common flys. Good luck!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wyoming Fishing

flyray: Welcome to the forum! The water is still pretty cold, so besides what Coloradokid mentioned, I would suggest midges (on a dead drift) and streamers (on a slow retrieve).
    What streams are you planning on fishing?
    Last July I was in Lander on a road trip on the bike (didn't have any fishing gear) and spotted a nice size brown in the creek that runs through town.

Larry

4. Default Re: Wyoming Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    flyray: Welcome to the forum! The water is still pretty cold, so besides what Coloradokid mentioned, I would suggest midges (on a dead drift) and streamers (on a slow retrieve).
    What streams are you planning on fishing?
    Last July I was in Lander on a road trip on the bike (didn't have any fishing gear) and spotted a nice size brown in the creek that runs through town.

Larry
    Larry
    Next time your in Lander let me know and we can fish some and you can give me some advice......I was in Casper today and picked up 2 reels...............................I bought a Larg Arbor Batten Kill #1 & #2 They are the old style.

But as far as fishing I go up to The Sinks or Red Canyon area.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wyoming Fishing

Flyray: Those Orvis LA Battenkill reels are pretty nice.
    I'll be in Lander July 16, 17 and 18 maybe we can get together one evening.
    Next time your in Casper maybe we can float the Grey Reef, I have a drift boat, or maybe wade the dream stream (it's not what it used to be but its still a pretty stream). I also like to float the North Platte river over by Saratoga, that would be a lot closer for you and can be some darn nice fishing. Its all private land so you have to stay in the boat, no stopping and wade fishing, but the river is pretty well protected by trees which really helps slowing the wind down.

Larry