Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Montana trip advice

Quote Originally Posted by Caliborn View Post
    I don't know much about the park but if you want to catch a golden trout you can try hidden lakes. They are north of the park off the Gallatin river north of Big Sky MT. A pretty easy pack in for the day as I remember. I haven't fished them in over a decade but it's something to look into maybe. Plus theres Rat lake near it and plenty of fishing on the Gallatin also. Good luck.
    We actually hiked up to Hidden Lakes last year but didn’t have any luck. There were fish rising and they would come up to the fly but wouldn’t eat it. We threw everything in the box at them to no avail. It was a beautiful spot and we’ll probably try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanler View Post
    We actually hiked up to Hidden Lakes last year but didn’t have any luck. There were fish rising and they would come up to the fly but wouldn’t eat it. We threw everything in the box at them to no avail. It was a beautiful spot and we’ll probably try it again.
    Not specific to the location you are talking about, but often when fish behave that way,, particularly in lakes, they are not really taking flies on the surface, but emergers or nymphs from an inch or so to a foot deep.

The rise forms that we see are fish breaking the surface after taking a subsurface fly. I often change over to a soft hackle or wet fly emerger when the fish act that way. The old Kaufman Timberine Emerger in a couple different colors are a basic to carry for trout lakes.

Don

Mid October is by far my favorite time to fish Montana. Is your 16 year old a hard core fisherman? If not, he may get tired of the weather if it gets snotty. Snotty weather usually means the big browns get frisky in the Park. If you like to dry fly fish there are usually pseudo hatches to keep you entertained. If the weather is nice you could head over to the Henry’s for the last of the mahogany duns. But, the Henry’s is tough water.

I used to fish the Big Horn in October with my dad. His eyes would light up when we talked about stripping streamers for big browns. If you haven’t fished the Big Horn take a look for something a little different. I’ve always stayed at a lodge, so I don’t know about how hard it would be to rent a boat. Dad liked to strip streamers. I preferred to stop and wade fish for rising fish.

I will be at my place on the Red Rock when you head out. Give me a shout for a Beaverhead report.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12