Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Anyone familiar with Helena MT area?

I will be spending the better part of March in Helena, is there any worthwhile fishing around that timeframe in the area? Wondering if it’s worth bringing fishing gear or not. Not picky about species, and close’ish to town due to time constraints would be great but would appreciate any input from anyone knowledgeable about the area.

Thanks in advance,

Fin

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Helena MT area?

Go to fly shop and they will surely know what is possible.
    Montana Fly Goods or Cross Currents

A couple small streams with small fish and relatively difficult access close to town. Not sure what you consider worthwhile or close-ish. If you can drive half an hour to an hour the worthwhile possibilities increase and would be worth bringing your gear.

Iíve had a lot of fun at the Little Blackfoot about an hour drive west of Helena some 15 years ago.

I would bring my fishing stuff, if for no other reason the Missouri may be worth checking out. You can check out Headhunter's website for a description of conditions. Last year snow on boat ramps made access to the river difficult in March, but this year could be different. March can be a good time to fish the Missouri. If you're there the entire month, you can pick and choose the days you go (i.e. when it's sunny and the wind isn't blowing). Even if nothing is rising, large trout (browns and rainbows) can be caught with a nymph under an indicator or on streamers.

6. Likes h2ofishfloatski liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
    I would bring my fishing stuff, if for no other reason the Missouri may be worth checking out. You can check out Headhunter's website for a description of conditions. Last year snow on boat ramps made access to the river difficult in March, but this year could be different. March can be a good time to fish the Missouri. If you're there the entire month, you can pick and choose the days you go (i.e. when it's sunny and the wind isn't blowing). Even if nothing is rising, large trout (browns and rainbows) can be caught with a nymph under an indicator or on streamers.
    This is why I asked what he considered close-ish to town. If willing to drive the half hour or 45 minutes to Craig, then absolutely the Missouri is worth bringing the fishing gear. More than just worth it; if it were me, I'd make it a priority. There are other options as well. If looking for a river to jump in right from town, like in Missoula or most of Montana on the west side of the divide, it's not gonna happen.

flychuckerfin: PM me if you want, I live in Helena.

8. Likes h2ofishfloatski liked this post