April in Colorado

labail

Reaction score
So i've decided on making a family trip to Colorado this coming year. The week of Easter is a good time for this outing from the looks of things, in 2011 easter falls on April 24, I was wondering if I could have some suggestions on a good area to stay in Colorado. I was looking at Silverthorne for the reason of the close proximity to a few waters. However i am unsure of maybe some other possible areas around colorado that might have some waters that fish better that time of year.. Like i said im just trying to get some foundation on where i should be looking at staying on this trip, obviously i'd like to be close to the water. But runoff and how certain rivers fish in certain seasons is something i'd appreciate some help on understanding as to where i should be looking at staying for this journey.

Reaction score
April in Colorado is Amazing!..Pick a river any River..Pre runoff..warm temps..
Be prepaired though one day you might see 50+* on the water the next you might be burried in 50" of Sierra cement
Hope that helped a little
Steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ditto! I'm partial to the Roaring Fork/Frying Pan (mainly because I have in-laws in the area so lodging is free), but like DOK says, pick a river, any river you can't go wrong, the fish are coming out of winter mode and are more than willing to participate.

Larry

labail

Reaction score
Well that's always a good thing to hear! :D This has definitely upped my confidence as to choosing an area, thank you for the input. I was worried i would be heading up to late and the rivers would be blown out

mnflyangler1

Reaction score
Whenever I go to CO I stay in silverthorne and fish the blue which runs right through town and is filled with lots of big trout and April is BWO time which can be spectacular. Then there is the Colorado River to the north in middle park which is another great option although I have never fished it at that time. Then the frying pan and roaring fork are 2 hours away. The yampa river is two hours north of Silverthorne. Then the dream stream is about an hour and a half away. So really like mentioned earlier you have tons of options and you really can't go wrong.

the_infidel

Reaction score
Whenever I go to CO I stay in silverthorne and fish the blue which runs right through town and is filled with lots of big trout and April is BWO time which can be spectacular. Then there is the Colorado River to the north in middle park which is another great option although I have never fished it at that time. Then the frying pan and roaring fork are 2 hours away. The yampa river is two hours north of Silverthorne. Then the dream stream is about an hour and a half away. So really like mentioned earlier you have tons of options and you really can't go wrong.
^ what he said! if you find yourself further south there is always the dream stream and the ark. i would caution against fishing the ark with mnflyangler though, he will give ya a spanking! :p

gjcordray

Reaction score
I agree with Larry. Not only are the Pan and Fork great April rivers, Glenwood Springs is a great family destination.