Green River, Utah Float

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
On Thursday, Chris invited me down to float with him on the Green river, Utah. Everything up here near Pinedale, WY is still locked in winter so it wasn't a hard choice to make. We made plans to meet at the put in at 8 am, its a little over 3 1/2 hours for me so that meant getting out of town by 4:30 am. Once I got past Rock Springs and headed south on hwy 191, it was a little dicey in spots with the snow blown across the hwy, in a few spots the south bound lane was completely blown over making the only way through was to get in the north bound lane as you went around a corner. Luckily, at this time of year there isn't much traffic down there.

We had decided to float the C Section, putting in at Indiana Crossing boat ramp and taking out at the Lower Shallow ramp. The weather was absolutely perfect, very little wind and a high of 51 degrees. We both threw streamers all day, not sure why the fishing was so slow, but it didn't matter, we both had a great time and being out on the water made it all the better. This is only the second time I have fished out of Chris's raft, he made some great improvements since the last time, he added a casting platform with leg braces and a stripping basket, it turned out fantastic.
Here is a short 2 minute video I did:

YouTube

silver creek

Reaction score
I really, really liked the video.

I also enjoyed hearing that intermountain "accent" again. I know Wyoming is not technically the intermountain region of the USA but listening to you reminds me of the time I spend in Utah. It's funny how hearing you brings up those memories. It was a good time in my life.

I have fished the Green and floated it a long time ago. It was nice to see it again. I never have caught a fish of that size on Green so so you did well.

Thanks for the video.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to believe it's so nice down there Larry. I'll second the notion that if you're only going to catch one you might as well make it a big one. That was one very healthy looking trout!

cpiercem

Reaction score
Loved the video! So nice to see people getting out. The brown you caught was outstanding! One like that makes up for fewer numbers. Thanks for taking us along.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the video Larry. Great to see my favorite section of the river again, can’t wait to get back there in September

Kevin
Kev: Knowing how you like that river and to throw streamers, I'm surprised you didn't make it out there this year.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Great job on the video. Perfectly done. You need to get that windshield replaced.
Thanks!
LOL! Last year in the spring I bought a new windshield, a month later I did a fishing trip over to the Grey Reef at Alcova, WY and I got a nick in the windshield. I thought no problem I will get it bored out when I get back to Pinedale, but the next morning when I went out it had already started to crack. It's a fishing vehicle anyway and all those cracks are below my line of sight. Next month I have a big trip lined up to fish in Montana, then in May I'm going out to Oregon, so maybe when I get back I will think about getting it replaced.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Kev: Knowing how you like that river and to throw streamers, I'm surprised you didn't make it out there this year.
Larry, I was there for a epic 3 day "streamer throwing" float in September of 2019. I shall return in August of 2020 and hopefully throw some big dries 6" from the bank. Nothing like hitting the Green when you can throw the big dry flies to active fish in the fall

take care buddy, kev

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Are there any shuttle services in the area that you can recommend ?
Yes, all the fly shops do shuttles, but from Dutch John to the C Section they charge $115, as it is about a 45 minute drive one way. Chris told me that if they already have a trip scheduled, they will cut you a deal for about $45. If you have a bike, you could do your own shuttle, by vehicle it is about a 10 minute drive from the put in to the take out, so you could probably do that in a bike in about 20-30 minutes and it is all paved on the main road.

jigsup

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, all the fly shops do shuttles, but from Dutch John to the C Section they charge $115, as it is about a 45 minute drive one way. Chris told me that if they already have a trip scheduled, they will cut you a deal for about $45. If you have a bike, you could do your own shuttle, by vehicle it is about a 10 minute drive from the put in to the take out, so you could probably do that in a bike in about 20-30 minutes and it is all paved on the main road.
I've been thinking of getting an electric bike but would be afraid someone would like it better than me . I imagine I could chain it up somewhere down there . Thanks for your help .

pickadrake

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! That really makes me want spring to hurry up and get here in MN ...... love the pup

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting an electric bike but would be afraid someone would like it better than me . I imagine I could chain it up somewhere down there . Thanks for your help .
Its pretty remote down there, I think you would be fine chaining the E-bike up. This summer I'm going to bring my bike along with my pontoon, pretty easy to fit both in my Subaru with some camping gear. It only takes 10-15 minutes in a car to do a shuttle from the take out to put in, so I should be able to do that with a bike in 30-40 minutes, the main road is paved which makes the ride much easier.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Its pretty remote down there, I think you would be fine chaining the E-bike up. This summer I'm going to bring my bike along with my pontoon, pretty easy to fit both in my Subaru with some camping gear. It only takes 10-15 minutes in a car to do a shuttle from the take out to put in, so I should be able to do that with a bike in 30-40 minutes, the main road is paved which makes the ride much easier.
Larry-let me know when you plan that trip (IF you’d like company), I wouldn’t mind trying that section in my pontoon if the timing worked out.

Jigsup, as Larry said the C section should be doable in a pontoon...the other 2 sections are a different story! (I’ve read some people do them in one-man craft but you won’t count me among them. Lol)