Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Idaho, Montana, Wyoming in June/July

Quote Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
    Is it worth the time to fish from the bank at Henry's Lake?
    Earlier in the season, it is worth it. The fish come into the shallows after ice-out, generally in April or May. They will be in the shallows sometimes through May and into June, but I doubt they will be within reach of the bank in July. Can't hurt to try, though.
    MC

"At least we don't have any stinky fish we gotta clean."

Henry's Lake can be tricky, since it's a big lake, the fish are not randomly distributed, and they usually don't show on the surface. I would rent a boat at a minimum, and row or motor over to where people are congregated. Areas where tributary streams are flowing in, as well as the famous Staley Springs area, will be where most of the fish are. There are people who fish the lake darn near every day, so where you see people fishing it's a good bet the fish are there, and some are being caught.

There is a fair amount of information online on how to fish this lake, so if you're serious about it I would read up.

And of course hiring an outfitter for a day will just about guarantee you'll get into fish. The outfitter will have a boat, all the right flies, and will know where the fish are, so you won't go wrong there. But yeah, if I didn't have a boat or any idea how to fish the lake and didn't want to hire an outfitter?? I'd be fishing from the bank too. No way would I be anywhere near Henry's Lake without taking at least a few casts. You never know what can happen, and one thing is for sure, you won't catch anything unless your line is in the water!

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Thanks for all the helpful info! Can anyone recommend a guide for Henry's Lake?

Henry's Fork Anglers or Headhunters, both in Last Chance, ID should be able to help
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by pickadrake View Post
    Henry's Fork Anglers or Headhunters, both in Last Chance, ID should be able to help
    Think instead of Headhunters you meant Trouthunter, no?
    "Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job" ~ Paul Schullery

Quote Originally Posted by mandotrout View Post
    Think instead of Headhunters you meant Trouthunter, no?
    Yes, Trouthunters! All this virus talk has me a little off my game
    Jeff

8. Likes mandotrout liked this post

Hi,

I think you should check out renting a float tube from the shops in West Yellowstone.
    Arricks use to rent them so call around. With a tube, fins and type 2 sinking line you will have options and get into some fish. Henry’s lake , Hebgen and Quake are all there and good fishing. You don’t need a guide on Henry’s just ask the shops for some flies and make sure you have sinking line for Henry’s, and both floating and sinking for the other 2.
    For Henry’s you can try the cliffs for both shore angling (watch the drop off) and tubing or the county boat dock. If you can’t catch fish there it is slow fishing and you just have to keep trying or go to a different lake. Henr’ys Lake improved last year but is still not like the legendary past. Watch for wind on this lake and stay near the shore and watch other tubers, the same for hebgen. Quake near the inlet is a narrow so even with the afternoon wind you can still tube across since it is narrow. You can also fish the Madison River or drive to Cliff or Wade lake which are scenic and smaller within 30-40 minutes.
    Hope this helps, it is a great area to explore and fish.

Rob

10. Likes cpiercem, pickadrake liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12