3/4 Wt sufficient for RMNP?

Scott Spencer

Reaction score
My wife and I will be visiting relatives in Estes Park later this summer and I was wondering if her 3/4 wt is sufficient for fishing the streams and lakes of RMNP? I presume it is but we've never fished there and I just want to make sure she'll be fine. I fish a 5 wt myself so I know that I'll be ok.

Thanks!

Scott

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I fished Estes area many summers and most of them I had a 4wt, only broke the 6wt out for bigger streamers and such.
Bear

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

I don't think I would go fishing any place out West with just a 3/4wt rod. Unless you are going to be fishing Dry Flies all the time. You didn't mention what length your wife's rod is. I just don't see a 3/4wt being a good Nymph or Streamer rod. Not to mention the wind that blows out West.

So if the 3/4wt rod is the only rod available to your wife I don't think it is a good choice. The 3/4 wt will limit the waters she can fish successfully.

Frank

Scott Spencer

Reaction score
Thank you, Frank. Her rod is an 8' 6" Ross Essence FC. She is new to the sport and liked the 4 weight over the 5 weight. I suppose we could rent her a rod/reel in 5 wt in Estes Park if we need to.

We only plan to fish the park waters in RMNP and I was hoping the 4 wt would be fine.

Again, thank you for the additional comments and thoughts, Frank.

Scott

jdorsey61

Reaction score
If a 3/4 was all I had, I wouldn't hesitate to use it, and be perfectly happy about it. Yeah, you may encounter some situations where a heavier outfit would be a bit better... then again, you may find that it performed magnificently. Hell, if she's having a little difficulty and you're more experienced, switch rods with her. Or you could buy/carry twenty different rigs to cover every eventuality (in which case, I will be your caddy if you'll pay my expenses... )!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

My bad, I read your post as a three quarter weight not a three or four weight. So you can see why I was concerned.

Her 3/4wt rod will do just fine. We have several members using super light rods and I just assumed this was another case. Let us know how the trip goes.

Frank

Scott Spencer

Reaction score
Not a problem, Frank. I should have been more specific on her rod from the beginning. Yes, hers is a 4 wt rod. I actually made a bigger mistake saying it was a 3/4 wt when the REEL is a 3/4...not the rod. :icon_frow

I was probably typing faster than I was thinking. That happens to me a lot. :icon_bigg

EPTROUTGUY

Reaction score
Hi Scott,
I fish RMNP every summer with a 6 1/2 or 7 ft 3wt, on the streams and that works for about 90%+ of all situations in the Park. I also work partime at Scot's Sporting Goods on Moraine Avenue (On the way to the park) When you visit Estes Park this summer stop by the shop and we'll have all the latest info on what to use and where to go while you are in EP.
Tight loops,
Bob T.