Montana Lake/Stream Fishing Ideas

skins2215

Reaction score
Hey Folks--

I"m very new to the fly fishing scene and i'm looking for some fairly easily accessible lakes or mountain streams that would be great fishing.

Ideally, i'd like to find something near Red Lodge or possibly even closer to Big Timber (up the boulder possibly). I'm still learning, so i'm not as worried about HUGE numbers of fish or catching large fish...rather being in a situation where I can work on my techniques and get away for a bit. I don't mind taking a walk either, unfortunately I don't have an "off-road" vehicle so I can't get too wild when it comes to the back roads. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

BigCliff

Reaction score
Hey Folks--

I"m very new to the fly fishing scene and i'm looking for some fairly easily accessible lakes or mountain streams that would be great fishing.

Ideally, i'd like to find something near Red Lodge or possibly even closer to Big Timber (up the boulder possibly). I'm still learning, so i'm not as worried about HUGE numbers of fish or catching large fish...rather being in a situation where I can work on my techniques and get away for a bit. I don't mind taking a walk either, unfortunately I don't have an "off-road" vehicle so I can't get too wild when it comes to the back roads. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I've not fished Montana yet, but based on what you've told us, you're best off fishing small streams up at high elevations where you can fish dry flies straight upstream to fish that haven't seen many humans. They'll be small, but eager to bite.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
JB: You are living in an area that has a wealth of fly fishing opportunities. I have seen folks fly fishing the stream that runs through the south of town right on the bridge. I don't recall the name of the stream but I do know that as you head south there is a paved road that goes into the Custer National Forest and the road parallels the river for more than 20 miles. There also are a lot of lakes and small streams up on the Beartooth hwy 212, but I don't know if they contain fish. You might want to either buy the book Flyfishers Guide to Montana, by Chuck Robbins or talk to the fly shops over in Cody, WY. I like Tim Wade's North Fork Anglers. Tim Wade's North Fork Anglers

Larry

skins2215

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info Mcnerney. Quick follow up...when you are talking about the "Stream by the bridge running through the south of town"...are you talking about Big Timber?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info Mcnerney. Quick follow up...when you are talking about the "Stream by the bridge running through the south of town"...are you talking about Big Timber?
That sounds correct, but realize that the times I have been through Red Lodge it has been on the motorcycle on a road trip, not fishing. As I recall when you are on hwy 212 heading into town from the south you cross the hwy crosses the river on the very end of town. I've attended the Beartooth Rally a couple times, but my main interest is riding the Beartooth and Chief Joseph hwys and I never miss the steak dinner and pig races over at the Bear Creek Saloon and Steakhouse. I've just seen folks fishing the stream on the south end of town, but I haven't fished there.

Larry

Biggie

Reaction score
JB,
If you live in the Big Timber area there are several good spots to go and have a great time. The Boulder itself is a fun fishery but access is pretty tough on the lower end of the river below the Natural Bridge. Once you get upstream of the Natural Bridge a couple of miles there is a lot of public land with some private mixed in. Access is good and the scenery is awesome. The road turns to gravel at the Natural Bridge but you can travel the 30 miles of gravel in just about any vehicle. The river will be very high for the next month to month and half but once we get to the middle of July it should be game on.

There are some other nice fisheries close by and if you want some info on them please send me an IM. They are smaller waters that haven't been written up or spoken about on websites and magazines. Good luck with your fishing and let me know if you are interested in some smaller creeks that will be fishable sooner as well as a couple of nice hikes that get you away from it all.

Biggie.

BigSky

Reaction score
If in Red Lodge and you wish to work on your technique, head up to Greeno Lake. You'll only catch itty bitty things; but, you will catch them, you will work on your technique and you'll have fun.

skins2215

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Big Sky. How is the drive to the lake? I mentioned I don't have much of an "off road" vehicle...is it more of a drive/park/hike?

BigSky

Reaction score
It's a beautiful drive on paved road (Beartooth Highway) about 5 or 6 miles south of town to a paved parking area and then about a 1/4 mile walk up a closed gravel road to the lake.