Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grayling in MT

Default Re: Grayling in MT

In the reservoir? Any in the inlet or outlet streams? That's nice and close

Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
    In the reservoir? Any in the inlet or outlet streams? That's nice and close
    I caught it ice fishing around 4-5 years ago. I caught one and my buddy caught one as well. We were fishing about 50-100 feet out away from the dam.

I know of people that have done well catching grayling using dry flys at the inlet of the lake right after ice off.

The grayling in hyalite are nice sized 12-18", but it is catch and release only for them.

I do not think that hyalite creek has any grayling, as the grayling that live in the reservoir are lacustrine, and not fluvial.

The Beartooth Mountains in SW Montana hold grayling. I do not know first hand, but this is from information found in Marcuson's Fishing the Beartooths. The book has in-depth information (species present and stocked, stocking history and schedules) on all of the lakes in the high country of the Beartooth Mountains. There are a handful of lakes that contain self sustaining groups of grayling. Quickly thumbing through my copy of the book, I found two lakes in the drainage of the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone River: Indian Knife Lake and Cliff Lake are reported to have have self sustaining grayling. These are only two examples, there are others found in the book. The original book is older (1985), but Marcuson's information still hold true for the most part.

Most high lakes in the Beartooths that seem to hold grayling are going be accessed by foot or outfitters only. But the book is an invaluable resource if you have the ability reach the high country of the Beartooths. If you get a copy, make sure and pick the 2008 edition - it has more recent stocking information than the original 1985 edition of the book.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:53 PM ----------

The Beartooth Mountains in SW Montana hold grayling. I do not know first hand, but this is from information found in Marcuson's Fishing the Beartooths. The book has in-depth information (species present and stocked, stocking history and schedules) on all of the lakes in the high country of the Beartooth Mountains. There are a handful of lakes that contain self sustaining groups of grayling. Quickly thumbing through my copy of the book, I found two lakes in the drainage of the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone River: Indian Knife Lake and Cliff Lake are reported to have have self sustaining grayling. These are only two examples, there are others found in the book. The original book is older (1985), but Marcuson's information still holds true for the most part.

Most high lakes in the Beartooths that seem to hold grayling are going be accessed by foot or outfitters only. But the book is an invaluable resource if you have the ability reach the high country of the Beartooths. If you get a copy, make sure and pick the 2008 edition - it has more recent stocking information than the original 1985 edition of the book.

4. Default Re: Grayling in MT

I have caught grayling from Fuse Lake above Skalkaho pass as well as the Big Hole river from above Wisdom all the way down to Wise River. they are not hard o catch and will readily take most flies from the surface even when the "snobbier" trout are sneering at your offerings! Fun to catch, beautiful fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12