Grayling in MT

Reaction score
Has anybody landed an arctic grayling in the western part of the state? I know that the Missouri has a resident population so why cant they be found in the bitterroot valley or surronding areas? I've heard of people encountering them in some alpine lakes, just wanted your guys' take on things.

dhayden

Reaction score
I thought the upper Big Hole was the spot?

I've only caught smaller ones on other rivers.. Big Hole's still on the list when I get over there again

dean_mt

Reaction score
I thought the upper Big Hole was the spot?

I've only caught smaller ones on other rivers.. Big Hole's still on the list when I get over there again
Yep, it's the upper Big Hole, up above Wisdom. So I've read, I've never gone looking actually but "they" -and I mean fisheries biologists- say that it is the last fluvial population of wild Grayling in the state. Here is a link: Fluvial Arctic Grayling in Montana - Montana Chapter of the American Fisheries Society

I caught one at the forks of the Gibbon and Firehole once.

I also know of a little lake in western Montana that is full of 'em. And I would not classify it as "alpine". It's only a couple miles from the road. That is where my avatar picture - if you can make it out it's a Grayling dorsal - came from. I have some pictures of the lake and fish. I'll try to post some tonight.

goldentrout

Reaction score
There is Grayling in Fuse Lake on Skalkaho Pass Road between Hamilton and Phillipsburg. About a 2mi. hike off of the Fuse Lake trailhead just east of the summit and west of the Rock Creek turnoff.

Summer time seasonal road. Closed in the winter.

If you go through Hamilton, be sure to stop at the Coffee Cup. Some of the best homemade pie in Montana.........maybe the the world!!

dean_mt

Reaction score
There is Grayling in Fuse Lake on Skalkaho Pass Road between Hamilton and Phillipsburg. About a 2mi. hike off of the Fuse Lake trailhead just east of the summit and west of the Rock Creek turnoff.

Summer time seasonal road. Closed in the winter.

If you go through Hamilton, be sure to stop at the Coffee Cup. Some of the best homemade pie in Montana.........maybe the the world!!
Well I knew my little lake wasn't a true secret, it is quite easy to get to, but come on man!

Look at the stripes on the pectoral!

they like to rise...

Like goldentrout said, it's an easy walk in even in sneakers!

goldentrout

Reaction score
To be honest, I have never fished Fuse Lake. I know about it because I lived in Hamilton for 3yrs. Always wanted to get up there but never did. Drove right by the trailhead several times. Another missed opportunity.

I lived 2 blocks away from the Bitterroot and spent most of my time in anticipation of the Skwala and monster Salmon Fly hatches.

Thanks for the pics. Now I know what I missed out on! :rolleyes:

nerka

Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me appreciate home.
I do wish we had more cutthroat and we have zero browns. Grayling in sheer numbers are probably our most plentiful gamefish.
I have caught literally thousands of grayling in probably hundreds of places. They are awesome on a 3wt. Egg patterns make them nuts.
What happened to the grayling there? Overfishing? Loss of habitat? Industry?

dean_mt

Reaction score
What happened to the grayling there? Overfishing? Loss of habitat? Industry?
All of the above. Plus the introduction of non-native game fish, the Browns and Rainbows are just bigger and more aggressive. Also why Cutthroat populations survive in only a fraction of their native watersheds.

and spent most of my time in anticipation of the Skwala and monster Salmon Fly hatches.
It's been a looong winter here already, golden, and February means that March is that much closer! The Skwala hatch is almost as popular as the Salmon Fly now, but such a great hatch.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I lived in Fairbanks for 12 years and Grayling were my main target. Not by choice, they were the predominate fish where I fished. Great fish for a fly rod once you learn the presentation.

There is a lake in the Wind Mountains that has Grayling.

Frank

dhayden

Reaction score
In the reservoir? Any in the inlet or outlet streams? That's nice and close

MTskibum

Reaction score
Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texa
I caught it ice fishing around 4-5 years ago. I caught one and my buddy caught one as well. We were fishing about 50-100 feet out away from the dam.

I know of people that have done well catching grayling using dry flys at the inlet of the lake right after ice off.

The grayling in hyalite are nice sized 12-18", but it is catch and release only for them.

I do not think that hyalite creek has any grayling, as the grayling that live in the reservoir are lacustrine, and not fluvial.

countr21

Reaction score
The Beartooth Mountains in SW Montana hold grayling. I do not know first hand, but this is from information found in Marcuson's Fishing the Beartooths. The book has in-depth information (species present and stocked, stocking history and schedules) on all of the lakes in the high country of the Beartooth Mountains. There are a handful of lakes that contain self sustaining groups of grayling. Quickly thumbing through my copy of the book, I found two lakes in the drainage of the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone River: Indian Knife Lake and Cliff Lake are reported to have have self sustaining grayling. These are only two examples, there are others found in the book. The original book is older (1985), but Marcuson's information still hold true for the most part.

Most high lakes in the Beartooths that seem to hold grayling are going be accessed by foot or outfitters only. But the book is an invaluable resource if you have the ability reach the high country of the Beartooths. If you get a copy, make sure and pick the 2008 edition - it has more recent stocking information than the original 1985 edition of the book.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:53 PM ----------

The Beartooth Mountains in SW Montana hold grayling. I do not know first hand, but this is from information found in Marcuson's Fishing the Beartooths. The book has in-depth information (species present and stocked, stocking history and schedules) on all of the lakes in the high country of the Beartooth Mountains. There are a handful of lakes that contain self sustaining groups of grayling. Quickly thumbing through my copy of the book, I found two lakes in the drainage of the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone River: Indian Knife Lake and Cliff Lake are reported to have have self sustaining grayling. These are only two examples, there are others found in the book. The original book is older (1985), but Marcuson's information still holds true for the most part.

Most high lakes in the Beartooths that seem to hold grayling are going be accessed by foot or outfitters only. But the book is an invaluable resource if you have the ability reach the high country of the Beartooths. If you get a copy, make sure and pick the 2008 edition - it has more recent stocking information than the original 1985 edition of the book.

Reaction score
I have caught grayling from Fuse Lake above Skalkaho pass as well as the Big Hole river from above Wisdom all the way down to Wise River. they are not hard o catch and will readily take most flies from the surface even when the "snobbier" trout are sneering at your offerings! Fun to catch, beautiful fish.

dmadsen

Reaction score
Elk Lake and Red Rock Creek in Beaverhead county are being managed for Grayling reintroduction. Wonderful country, Elk Lake Resort offers good access. Upper Big Hole, also Beaverhead County, as stated above is good as are the creeks that form the BH, if you can get access. It's all private

unsinkable

Reaction score
The Big Hole has a fair number of Grayling as do a number of creeks above the Big Hole Sportsman's Park. Also several lakes in the Pioneer Moutains (Agnes, Bobcat, Hidden, Odell, Schwinegar). The largest I have ever caught was a 17 incher on a stream off the Big Hole near Wisdom.

buckbzn

Reaction score
I have caught a grayling in the Gallatin river twice - one this year and one last year. Surprisingly, both near the mouth of the canyon (not way up near YNP).

h2ofishfloatski

Reaction score
Some of the Gallatin River grayling may come down Deer Creek out of Deer Lake, north of Big Sky. Not an easy hike. I usually cross my annual grayling fix off the list by hitting YNP, but have't had any of the size described on the upper Big Hole.

bosands

Reaction score
Spend some time on Montana website, there is a ton of information. 2017 summers trip, I tried some of the lakes mentioned without landing one, lot of them surfacing though. Last summer I was successful downstream of wisdom on the big hole with fish in the 14-16" range. What I enjoyed, as someone mentioned it is last native fluvial population, that hasn't been messed with. This summer Bull trout is the target.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
When I was there they were congregating at the head of the lake by the stream inlet. Don't know whether they can also be found in the stream itself, or if so, when. I believe there are special regs in the lake and stream to protect the during the spawning season, so be sure to check the regs before you go.