Budget Tarpon

sabolitoman

Reaction score
The bottom line is Tarpon adventure on a budget … total costs well under $400 per day. It comes with North American comfort standards, delightful private beach, unusually interesting fellow guests at Canadian owned Casa de Celeste Vida Home

Last year, my wife and I visited the Mayan ruins, the Cenotes and some fishing villages of the Yucatan. She absolutely fell in love with Celestun, and I figured that there must be Tarpon nearby. Anyhow, she said, “We’re coming back next year for my Birthday in late March”, and I started to research the area.

We had gone there originally to see the Flamingos. Flocks of Flamingos are THE current draw to Celestun (Ria Celestun Biosphere). There are many other birds and birders love the place. It all looked good, but there was no talk of Tarpon in the Celestun estuary. However about 30 minutes south by boat is the Isla D’Arena area where there was plenty of talk about Tarpon and even professional tarpon guides came there from Campeche. Google Earth provided the satellite pictures. The amazing Canadian ladies at Celeste Vida found a local fisherman, Cando, to provide transport and even a translator to come aboard because “my Spanish” is an oxymoron

In a small fishing port north of Celestun there was a still-water “pond” on the edge of town that was alive. Snowy Egrets were in profusion feeding, flying and perching. The calm water was dimpled by baitfish escaping something. Cormorants worked the area. There was a lean-to that had a sign identifying it as related to the Biosphere, but no personnel around. There was apparently a stream feeding the pond, and Cando set off to find a possible road that we might use to get upstream.

A short geography lesson is that there are no streams in the Yucatan. All fresh water is underground. The waters that look like streams or ponds are estuaries that have been cut off from the sea. However, at Spring tides when the wind is strong, sometimes the sea breaks through. Tarpon are known for thriving in such places until they are ready to join the reproduction dance, and they then escape on a Spring tide.

Instead of a road, Cando found an old gentleman who said, “Tarpon? No problem”, but you have to get here early. The next day we met his truck on the beach with the moon still up, and set off directly in two john boats into the mangroves which were 50 feet behind the beach. The half hour passage through the mangroves was twisted and narrow-usually the width of the john boat and a bit less for height. Holy flying white Egrets! We would poke around a sharp narrow corner, and POW two dozen of them would leap into the air hawking and flapping. After a half hour of this extraordinary jungle treat, we were in a “pond” as alive or more so that the one I had seen in town.

The pond was lined by solid mangrove growth with roots into the water Something was definitely happening in those roots. Tails were slashing the surface in the shade of the mangroves. They weren’t shy, but they were lazy. A short cast didn’t put them off so you could measure a fly cast with good accuracy and they wanted that. Two feet out from the Mangrove roots and they weren’t interested. Put it closer….put it right on the back edge full of roots, and suddenly there was 20 lbs of very upset Tarpon flying through the air.

Leader is much more important than fly choice. I’ve got to put in a plug for Blue Sky furled leaders because you have to throw a pretty tight loop that stays tight all the way through the leader tip in order to get in there past the overhangs and whatnot. I used a double looped furled leader about 5 feet long connected to four feet of 40 lb. fluorocarbon and tipped with 18 inches of 50 lb.

As the sun got warm, the fishing slowed down from “Are you kidding?” to merely amazing. I love these strong fish and their acrobatics. Plenty jumped above head height. All just shivered in the air regardless of how high or how many times they jumped, but I was done. It was time to have a sandwich, cast to one or two more, and then head back through the magical mangroves with a stupid grin pasted to my face and the tails still slashing.

This can all be arranged with an email to Casa de Celeste Vida Home. This is adventure travel with a North American bed, kitchen and a private beach where the sun sets into the sea, and good restaurants in town – a fifteen minute walk. Plus there are more than enough Tarpon to send you home with a grin and a great story. If you want to fish with me, book in April. I’ll be back.

chuck s

Reaction score
Great short article. :thumbsup:Here's another tip on budget Tarpon. Right out of Titusville a road heads over to the National Seashore. Off that road to the left at the forks, they dredged a network of canals for road fill to make Blacks Point Bird Refuge. These canals and the many other canals and ponds out in this area hold an ample supply of baby Tarpon as well as a great supply of Ladyfish and other fly rod targets. :cool: Get an inexpensive motel in Titusville, a rent a car and you can fish from foot out there for a month or so before repeating the places you've hit.! Look for the culverts to get active as the tide changes and flow begins!:)

Wet dreams

Reaction score
Next trip I am considering starting in Campeche and working my way around the Yucatan peninsula. Celustun sounds like a great option.

Last September we fished San Felipe, Rio Lagartos and Isla Holbox. All were excellent, I just could not get the big tarpon to cooperate. On the migratory tarpon I think I was over gunned with a 500 grain sinking tip. I was under or at the depth of the swimming tarpon, the happy feeders were higher in the water column. We were in 15 to 30 ft. deep water. When I go back I will bring intermediate and 3 inch per second lines as well.

At Hotel San Felipe which was formerly where Tarpon Cay operated out of you have the option of booking directly with Jesial Mena owner and now Mena fly fishing. Go to the Hotel San Felipe de Jesus web site for contact information. Ask to do things Ala Cart and the cost can be as little as a third of the package price for essentially the same services. Our guide was young but excellent, Mena works with a pool of guides but does not have his own "House" guides yet. Next time I go I will do this or work directly with the guides as they only get paid about $80 a day while the boat owner/operators charged $3-400+ a day.

Holbox was a lot of fun fishing with Alejandro "San Flea" Vega. A top operation. I just wish I had gone there in the early days before it was "discovered". Some say it is like Key West used to be which isn't a bad thing. A large portion of the tourist are European and less obnoxious than the Cancun perpetual spring breaker types. Holbox is not inexpensive though.

Bring an 8-9 weight rod and an 11 or 12 weight. A lighter 7 weight would be fun and the 9 really helps on windy days. You are limited to four outfits maximum or you may get charged custom duties. For the migratory fish especially Holbox they like larger flies up to 6/0, all mine were Florida Keys sizes and maxed at 3-4/0 with most 2/0 or smaller. For the babies size 2-2/0 work well.

GloveMan

Reaction score
If you like jumping all the Tarpon you want from babies to the occasional big fish (60+) you can get a hotel on Grand Cayman for very little money, grab a rental car and head to the canals along the back side of the island directly opposite the Grand Westin resort Area on 7 mile. My son and I went out every morning before everyone else got up and simply drove along the canals to a "happening spot" and cast up into the mangrove canals. We caught mostly smaller Tarpon by the dozen that are a blast on a 6-8 weight, but also caught lots of snook and barracuda. I hooked some larger Tarpon as well but only landed a couple of 20's in that area. If you go to the back side some of the canals around Governor's have some BIG Tarpon that you can certainly hook in the canals, but be prepared to get your butt kicked with all the structure unless you can get them into open water. Cheap, easy, and lots of fun. There are some bonefish there as well but it is pretty slim pickings. For a day bone trip go over to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. There are a few guides there who can put you on bones.

numbskull

Reaction score
I've been to Grand Cayman and the term "very little money" is what I had left after the trip.
I did manage some DIY bonefish.
They wouldn't let me carry a flyrod onto the plane for the return trip, however (2018).

GloveMan

Reaction score
:) I am an old cheapo who knows how to milk a $. Try going off the traditional tourist areas and you will find a lot of inexpensive options. We rented a house on the East side for very little money and ate local. Rented a local "rent a wreck jeep" and just did our own thing. I enjoy getting away and meeting locals. Better luck next time!