DIY Bonefishing Belize

fishindave

Reaction score
DIY Bonefishing

Well, this is it. You have been dreaming about it, reading magazines and studying maps. Now is the time and you have decided on Belize. Great choice. Friendly people, great food, tropical setting, and most importantly, bonefish, lots and lots of beautifully mirrored bonefish.

The general consensus was/is the bone’s in Belize are on the small side. Let me tell you this, they have grown up and are still very willing to eat a well presented fly.

So now, just where to go. You could opt for a high end resort or lodge, but that ain’t you, right? DIY (do it yourself) is for you. There are some people that say this is impossible. Nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is, North Ambergris Caye is the optimal place for this type of adventure.

After your Tropic air flight from the mainland (by far the easiest way to get to the caye) head down to the local docks and catch the water taxi going north. ($10 us one way) During the off season there are numerous places to be had for $100 us/ night. Try to pick one ahead of time to save the hassle. (I have one in mind mentioned later in the article) It is at these places you will find pristine grass flats and crystal clear water at your disposal. Most of these flats will hold hundreds of tailing bones on the last half of incoming, and the first part of outgoing tides.

A great place to start is just south of the Mata Grande grocery area, (pop in and see Jason and Mandy), have a cold belikan and chat a bit to get the scoop. FYI: they will also deliver groceries, liquor, beer and whatever else they have in stock to wherever you are staying at, just ask.

After a quick chat, it’s time to head out to the flats. Start working your way north, checking out the indigo flat area. This is a huge flat w/ lots of fish. If it is calm enough you will spot fish from a hundred yards or so away. Stalk these fish quietly and carefully and you will get many shots at them. Note; this flat also fishes well at low tide, (you just have to wade out a bit further)

Continue working your way north hitting each flat in between the docks. Don’t forget to cast to all the pot holes and channels (white sandy areas) that you see, and there will be loads of them.

When you get to the Rojo area, you may be on the thirsty side. Stop in and have a cold one,(great location right on the water)

Next up, as you continue working your way north is the Xaman Ek area. This has great eel grass flats on both sides of the dock, with plenty of fish at the high tide. It’s probably around noon by now, and you’re hungry, Jambels Jerk pit is the place to go. Excellent Jamaican jerk and curries. Match these up with ice cold Belikans to delight the senses, and replenish lost electrolytes. Fitz, Vashti, Brian, and Wayne will take good care of you here. (Tell them Dave from the middle east told you about it) If you are looking for a great quiet place to stay during the off season, this is as good as it gets. It makes for a great central “home base” for you DIY trip.

As you continue to make your way north you will be greeted by the Portofino area. Lovely place this is, and with incredible food, (Italian specialties abound here) a must do for supper. Pretty good flats all the way to the mangrove outcropping, (you will know it when you see it)

Gear:
8 wt. fast- med./fast fly rod loaded with min. 200 yds. #20 backing and a wt./fwd. line
10-12 ft. tapered leaders w/ 8-10 pound tippet. I prefer mono tippet material to slow the
Sink rate a bit, you can use fluorocarbon if you wish, but I don’t think the fish care one way
or the other
Classic bonefish patterns:
Crazy Charlie’s, Chico’s bonefish special, Christmas Island special, bonefish bitters,
Gotchas, and one that I hear works very well here, and did not try, is the shrimp scampi.

All tied on #4, 6, and 8 hooks with mono weed guard to protect you from the ever present eel grass.
Tip: tie some w/o eyes for a slower sink rate to facilitate staying on top of the grass. (Worked for me) and the fish don’t seem to care.

Now, on to the spinning part. (the dark side) When the wind is blowing 25+ this is the way to go. 10# outfit w/ smooth drag is essential here. I prefer the shimano aeros type reels. Spool these with a good spectra line along with a 10 foot fluorocarbon leader (8-10#) (I use an allbright knot for the line/leader connection to facilitate both sections passing though guides with ease.
Wiggle/wobble jigs (1/16-1/8 oz.) are effective here when tipped with a shrimp, crappie, or curl tail trailer. If you must, you can use shrimp, (live or fresh) but this is very cumbersome in carrying around, and does not keep you as mobile as you may wish to be.
I prefer to travel as light as possible when fishing the flats and this includes wearing light weight long pants and a long sleeve shirt. This is a must for combatting the intense sun that is ever-present in Belize. This combined with quality glasses (copper or amber), a long billed ball cap, buff, (for neck protection) and a pair of high-top boots complete the ensemble. Tip: carry your extra gear in a small belly (waist) bag with pliers (I use browning) attached via holster, and you will be the supreme flats stalker.

Extra bonus; (More on the dark side)
Night time fishing off of the lighted docks. This is when the crazy fish come out to play. The big jacks and ‘cuda will hit your goodies like a water taxi heading for San Pedro. This is not for the faint of heart, as they are very serious opponents. You may use the same outfit you used for the bones (spin), but I would advise against it. (I was “spooled” 3 times when I was there a month ago). Be fair warned these are VERY strong fish that will not put up w/ a light drag or cheap gear. Suggest 15# test, min. with a reel capable of 250 yds. and 8 lbs. of drag…..Trust me on this one. Also do not waste your time or hard earned cash on throwing expensive things like Yozuries and such,(you will probably just end up losing all of these to the beasts, see “spooled” note above). This is the perfect opportunity to throw cheap soft plastic jerk baits, the kind for bass (white or pearl). Rig these w/ a wire leader and 2/0-4/0 hook (no weight), and you are in business. Make your casts into the dark areas next to the light and hang on.

All this being said…..Just go and do it. $150 a day +airfare and you will be in DIY heaven…..

David Warner,
DIY fisherman at large

Last edited:

fishindave

Reaction score
Cool mntbiker. Where ya going. Out to the caye or mainland or south to placencia? Wherever ya go, it will be a kick. If you o to Ambergris, you must stop in at Estels on the beach. Get a cold one and some beans and rice, w/ an order of fryjack.....Trust me on this, you wont be sorry Hopefuly you will make it up north twords Jambels...Go see Fitz, Vashti, and Wayne,and Robbie, they will hook ya up...Tell em Dave from Afghanistan told them to...LOL...Enjoy bro, and let me know...Send reports from there if ya can...:wiggle:

deanflyfish

Reaction score
Hi.
I´ve done quite a bit of DIY bonefishing in Bahamas and Mexico in the past few years. I have good info about the fishing in Abaco if you are interested. Lots of big bones averaging 5 lbs. And the sharks, cudas etc.
I am venturing out again in april I hope.
I´m interested in more info on the DIY in Belize. I tried to find the spots on Google earth, but did not succeed. Do you have some coordinates ?
Deanflyfish.

spnyfish

Reaction score
Belize is a fly fishermans paradise. I have been there numerous times and actually chose to fish there over going to new destinations. What an amazing country. Good read . Thanks

fishindave

Reaction score
Heading back again end of Sept. through beginning og Oct. Then all of Nov. and Dec. PM me for more details and info...Big invite to whomever wishes to come on down to DIY heaven...Side note: I will be makeing som eside trips to Caye Caulker, and Roatan Honduras, if anyone is interested.

Dave :cool:

fishindave

Reaction score
I will be heading back in Oct of this year w/ my father for his first bonefishing trip. If anyone is interested in joing up for a day or two, let me know. We will also make a day trip to Caye Caulker to meet with another friend for a day of flyfishing...:fishing:

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! We're going to Belize for our honeymoon, probably sometime in Jan-Feb next year. Any suggestions for that time of year?

chechem

Reaction score
Thanks, David.

BTW, that's "turtlegrass", not "eel grass". Eel grass is more temperate; turtlegrass is throughout the Caribbean. And you'll benefit from weedless flies if you fish in/over it! :D

I usually fish Belize farther south (South Water Caye region). Not as many boats down there, and the fishing is great.

Here are a couple of photos of SW Caye area:

waycool

Reaction score
Ok.. You convinced me. I wanna GO !

When is the best time of year to plan a DIY trip to Belize ? I might even have a friend that has a house there... I guided a bear hunter one time that has a place.. might have to look him UP !

I have never fished for bonefish.. is it even feasible to do without any experience ? I would entertain any advice.. Oh boy.. this is on my mind now.... Hmm... would make for one heck of a vacation !

What method of transportation is there ? I mean to get from flat to flat.. or ???

Dang you people ! Now I'm ruined! :)

jgentile

Reaction score
Ok.. You convinced me. I wanna GO !

When is the best time of year to plan a DIY trip to Belize ? I might even have a friend that has a house there... I guided a bear hunter one time that has a place.. might have to look him UP !

I have never fished for bonefish.. is it even feasible to do without any experience ? I would entertain any advice.. Oh boy.. this is on my mind now.... Hmm... would make for one heck of a vacation !

What method of transportation is there ? I mean to get from flat to flat.. or ???

Dang you people ! Now I'm ruined! :)
It looks like a buddy and I will be doing a DIY trip to Ambergris Caye in late Sept. of this year. There is a ton of information on the net that will help you get organized.

As far as experience or lack thereof, sure you can do it. It is my understanding that the patterns for this part of the world are smaller and lighter. Mudding bones are the easiest to catch imo. Tailing fish come second followed by cruising fish. I'm bringing a 9wt to deal with the wind along with a 6wt if conditions are favorable. I'm also bringing a spinning rod just in case

There is one fly shop in San Pedro on AC. Tres Pescados I believe they are called. (Belize Fly Fishing - Guides - Flies - Gear) They also have a guide service. Worst case scenario, hire a guide for one day. Ask him a zillion questions, take notes, tip him well then go DIY for the rest of the trip.

As far as getting from flat to flat goes. Golf cart rental for cruising the island. Kayak rental for fishing the west side as I believe the flats are surrounded by mangroves making walking access more difficult.

waycool

Reaction score
I was afraid you would say that Joe ! NOW! I am REALLY ruined ! I Gotta do it... I think I might just do the guide for a day.. and then just sip margaritas and DIY.. Hmm.. Hmm Hmm....

It's official.

So.. I'm thinking next year this will happen.. if anyone wants to meet there or ...??? Please hit me up.. cause I got no one to go with.. but I'M GOING! The ocean scares the **** out of me.. but hey.. sometimes you gotta overcome !

Golf cart rental OMG ! Should I bring my sticks too ??? OH heck no.. FISHING ! Not sure on the Kayak thing.... see above (ocean fear).

Planning starts......

chechem

Reaction score
You guys have fun.

Word of caution. The word "Joe" has a derogatory meaning in Belize.
Among Creole-speaking and Garifuna folks, it refers to a man who is having sex with a friend's wife. As in, "He a Joe."

;)

waycool

Reaction score
I swear! It wasn't me!!!
LOL Sure.... we believe you... JOE !

:)

Looking forward to a report on the trip ! I assume most would fly into Belize City ? What are the option to get to say AC from there?

This is gonna get interesting !

waycool

Reaction score
Thanks Dave!

Ive been reading a couple sites on San Pedro etc... I'll find them and if you don't mind give me your thoughts. This looks very doable and could become A habit! Lol

Hombre06

Reaction score
Well, I'm in. Heading to San Pedro this Nov with my brother in law. Hired a guide from the Tres Pecados Fly Shop and then will DIY the rest of the time. Just taking the 8wts so wish us luck. I can't wait for this trip. Now in search for a decent tropical fly line.