Musings

fishindave

Reaction score
Fly-fishing musings

As I ponder my next fly selection on a pristine flat located somewhere in Central America, I am comforted by the cool sea breezes. Upon my selection, my mind immediately races to thoughts of a large silver bonefish at the business end of my fly rod, the screaming tone of the reel as the revs increase, and the deep arc generated by the powerful run of the speedster.

POOF:

Back to reality. I sit at my desk in a remote and hostile part of the world musing over fly fishing. My thoughts race from continent to continent as fast as that silver bullet in Central America. “The world is my flat” I think to myself. “Where next”….. I daydream.

I am fortunate in that my work allows me the freedom of time off to explore my love of the outdoors, and particularly, fly fishing. I think of the large, drag-melting fish I have the good fortune to do battle with, but in the back of my mind there is a longing for something more. Not only the size or type of quarry, but something much deeper.

As fishermen we are programed in the beginning to always search for the largest, the best, the fastest. I have found through my travels that there is something more. The location and species, the art of throwing the line…They may not be the biggest or fastest, but they are all unique. They are hard to reach. They are remote. I am in constant search for new techniques. Some taught by book, some learned by my own hand, but the best ones seem to be taught by local personal, in wonderful locals. Someone once said, “beautiful fish don’t live in ugly places” For the most part, this true, from the chrome bright salmon in Alaska, to the beautiful peacock bass in the jungles of South America.

Cherry Pie……Sorry, different thought….

Back to the topic. As I dream of exotic places, Oman comes to mind. Some may have heard me mention this. Oman is a place of vast, open, and stark beauty. It is a land of extremes, temperatures reaching 140 deg. Winds of 120mph (Shamal) and 100lb. pus Giant Trevally. This untapped fishery is just that, untapped. The fish are wild and aggressive, willing to eat even a poorly presented offering. If it’s big and moving fast, they will chew. The perfect blend of location and freight training fish have put this destination on my short list.

Medium rare steak…..Doh, I did it again, my thoughts are wandering.

When I can get these chaotic images in my mind back into formation, I will continue………

Keep dreaming my fly fishing comrades……

The musings will continue until moral improves,
(or until someone tells me to shut-up)

cattech89

Reaction score
That hit close to home Dave! All too often I experience the same train-of-thought derailment. Thanks for the play-by-play, and you don't have to worry about me telling you to shut up!