Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  48
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Default Re: New Flats Fly Lines

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    oldskewl, While Flats Pro came first, there is a growing family of DirectCore lines, most relevantly to you and me, DC Bonefish. The same great taper as the original but with the new coating and core technology. While there are a few other excellent bonefish lines notably from new Cortland in their Tropic Plus and Liquid Crystal series, DC Bonefish is in a class all its own.
    Ah thanks! Yeah that’s the one I want then, I prefer the regular bonefish taper but do like the the direct core feel of the flats pro.
    Now if I could just get a discount! Line prices kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

I bought a 7wt.Flats Pro as soon as they were released,and while it's a great line I preferred it's next stablemate the DC Bonefish....I found the Flats Pro heavier by comparison so I save it for those really windy days,and IMHO it's better served on ultra fast rods(e.g.Sage Igniter or Method) and certainly no need to upline.
    P.S.oldswewl,please note that both these lines feature the Direct Core technology.

3. Default Re: New Flats Fly Lines

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I'm going to save you a little money and suggest the Cortland All Purpose Tropic Plus line at $80. Same technology as their top-of-the-line salt tapers but a simpler older taper that I have use and it works great. I am going to spring for this same series in the new last year Bonefish version which you should check out too. These lines have monocores coated with PVC and handle and shoot really well.
    Just ordered this. I was interested because the floating and intermediate lines have the same taper and wt. I’ve been thinking about making the switch to identical taper and wt in float and Int for a while.

4. Default Re: New Flats Fly Lines

I just spooled up my 9wt with an SA Amplitude Bonefish smooth for Alphonse in 2 weeks time. I've been using the textured one on my 10wt and although not particularly a fan of the texture it's been a very nice line to cast with

Trevor

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Flats Fly Lines at Edison 2020

The lines I looked at during the Edison Show where not necessarily “new” just new or not yet fished by me. Of course, I’ve long proposed that the particular rod, assisted by the rod’s owner, ideally picks its optimal line but how is one to begin to decide which ones to even try? Interestingly, there is increasing diversity among lines specifically designed for saltwater flats applications in taper, coating chemistry, core materials and departures from standard weights than ever before. All these elements contribute to a line’s properties and how they may suit your rod and fishing.

RIO has made a splash (so to speak) with their series of Direct Core lines starting with DC Flats Pro and expanding into Bonefish and Permit models. These lines employ a proprietary monocore and new, slicker and more durable PVC coating chemistry. The thermo-chemical adhesion of coating to core produces a line with much reduced (not zero) stretch which is advantageous in two ways; it provides sharper reflexes during the cast and even more relevantly a very direct connection to your fly when you apply a “strip strike” to the fish who has just tailed on your crustacean imitation. All good and color coded per taper transition and reinforced factory loops with the line model and size printed on it. However, understand that the line size printed on the box may not be exactly what you might assume. Flats Pro and Permit are both a full size heavy so a #9 is literally a 10-weight. As long as you are aware of this intentional oversizing, fine. I have a 9-weight rod that favors a heavier line and the Permit is perfect on it and I fish it as…a 10-weight. Fortunately the DC Bonefish, a fine long head, long rear taper presentation type line is a bit oversized, an 8-weight is 225 grains in contrast to the AFFTA “standard” 210 grains.

A few years ago Scientific Angler introduced Grand Slam. This is a truly aggressive line with a very short front taper a 20’ head and 20’ rear taper. This configuration with its advanced, super slick AST coating technology is extremely front mass biased and just shy of a full size overweight, a #8 is 235 grains. When the wind is howling and a dumbbell eyed crab is bent on your tippet here is your line. However, and I’ve yet to try this, SA has a new line that might be more versatile for many flats anglers with related properties. Amplitude Infinity Salt has the AST Plus super shooting PVC technology with a longer 50’ head including again 20’ of rear taper, crucial for loop stability. It is like an attenuated and less heavy, 225 grains for an 8-weeight (same as the RIO Bonefish) prettier sister to Grand Slam. I find this this extra 15 grains of weight ideally suits many of our most sophisticated bonefish optimized 8-weight rods better than a more overweight type line. There is still more front loaded weight bias for quick, fast rod loading but I anticipate it can be modulated better for tighter looped, long presentations. I have previously written about Amplitude Bonefish, a true to weight, 210 grain 8-weight line. Here is the line for alighting a sparse shrimp fly in skinny water in a lagoon up the creek. It maximizes touch and delicacy of presentation when it is most needed…think of it as the SA Trout line for the flats. All three of these Amplitude lines feature welded loops, printed line model size data and are available in your choice of specialty texturing or smooth. A wealth of options.

Cortland has been expanding their Tropic Plus series. These are PVC jacketed monocores with moderate stretch. I have fished and liked the All Purpose line and the also 1/2 heavy Redfish but not the one most interesting to me, the Bonefish Taper. It is true to weight and has a presentation type taper with a medium head and long rear taper, just the way I like it. Really for measuring a cast and turning over your long Fluorocarbon leader in-air, all flats, like dry fly lines should have a long rear taper so crucial to preclude hinging and maintaining loop stability. Not new and I always include one in my flats kit is the Liquid Crystal Blue in its Flats Taper version, true to weight with a similar very long rear taper design to the Bonefish. These limited stretch polyurethane coated monocores shoot like bullets into the wind. They are not the most high floating nor most visible of lines but they shoot like bullets…did I say that already?

Speaking of polymer coated monocore lines I have never used a Monic line. My feet felt fatigued at Edison and I saw an empty chair in an empty booth, went and sat my butt down in it. Hello, the Monic guy said, are you familiar with our lines? I have of course heard of them and knew they were from Colorado but that is about it. It turned out he was the line designer there and we talked construction and tapers and by the time I got back on my feet I had a prototype translucent grey long head, long rear taper flats line in my daypack. This line has a polyethylene jacket over a Nylon core and seems to have some stretch to it and also sleeve reinforced factory loops. I was informed this line is about a full size heavy, good to know before just taking it fishing.

It is my intent to acquire several of these new to me specialized flats fly lines prior to venturing to cays where breezes rustle the palm fronds and conch fritters appear at cocktail hour. However, prior to putting them to the ultimate test, all will be mounted on mule reels and switched about on a park lawn among the roughly eight rods my wife and I will carry south. The rods will largely decide which lines they are happiest with. We talk about rod and reel selection for the flats a lot and on the skiff we typically will have 5 or 6 from different designers and ranging from #7 through 9-weight rigged. Interestingly, as we come up on a flat and observe wind and light direction, tidal depth, mangrove proximity and bottom type, the first thing I consider is fly selection and the rod I pull from beneath the gunwales is the one whose LINE is most appropriate for the conditions. I know the rod will be great because they are all preselected for optimal line matchup.
    Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-07-2020 at 04:29 PM.

6. Likes joe_strummer, falcon53, okiekev liked this post

I think you got a typo there -- 218 gr on the DC Bonefish, Rio's site says. 225 would be half-heavy. This line series is on the heavy end of spec across the range, but in-spec still.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_strummer View Post
    I think you got a typo there -- 218 gr on the DC Bonefish, Rio's site says. 225 would be half-heavy. This line series is on the heavy end of spec across the range, but in-spec still.
    joe, In paragraph two I wrote DC Bonefish is 225 gr. so it is out of spec (202 - 218) by a bit but half heavy would be 230. It is not far off that mark but NRX#8 just loves it. I'll edit, thanks.

Less than a week away from me putting an airflo clear tip and a brand new Rio DC bonefish through their paces in the Bahamas!!!

10. Likes dennyk, sweetandsalt, jamesrick liked this post

We talk about these lines being overweight because the first 30' spec. But that weight doesn't really tell the whole story of the weight on that line.

Rio flats pro #8 (38' head)
    30' = 240gr
    total head = 290gr

Rio DC bonefish #8 (49.5' head)
    30' = 218gr
    total head = 330gr

The overall weight of the bonefish is way heavier than the "overweight" flats pro! So the only time the flats pro is going to actually be heavier than the bonefish is when you're casting close, right? Once you're carrying a bit of line, I'm thinking the flats pro is going to feel lighter. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it. I'd be interested in what a super good caster would have to say on that. This is strictly theoretical on my part, so I could be wrong. I might just have to invest some money to get a real answer for myself on this one.

12. Likes fly2field liked this post
  13. Default Re: New Flats Fly Lines

I have learned from s&s to ask the rod manufacturers or the shop if they know what line a particular rod was designed /tested . I do think this makes things murky as now a rod line may have variability in the line tested based on rod wt. Eg the 7 wt may be a true 7 wt and the 9 wt may be a 10 in disguise.

S&s. Thanks again for all the great posts on salt lines. I have explored consequently line from all the manufactures.

My question is when you are testing rods with lines with “dummy” reels so you go sequential through different lines during a session? Or do you get multiple of the same rod to test with said lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast