Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Default Re: New Flats Fly Lines

I simply don't get what this is about.There's abundant information available about tropical fly lines for specific destinations and species.What is it that you can't find?
    P.S.sweetandsalt,I have just fished a 7wt.Rio Direct Core Pro line on a 7wt.Meridian for two weeks on C.I.and while it's really a full wt.up(i.e.more an 8wt.) the line was a winner in the wind on the island,and I would have happily fished this very line on my 8wt.NRX.

2. Default Re: New Flats Fly Lines

Try the SA Mastery Tarpon Taper for a true to weight 10wt tropical line. The head isn’t as long as say their bonefish taper but it’s a pretty good compromise. I’ve got it on my T and T Sextant Bamboo and like it a lot.

Regards,

Trevor

3. Thanks original cormorant thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    I simply don't get what this is about.There's abundant information available about tropical fly lines for specific destinations and species.What is it that you can't find?
    P.S.sweetandsalt,I have just fished a 7wt.Rio Direct Core Pro line on a 7wt.Meridian for two weeks on C.I.and while it's really a full wt.up(i.e.more an 8wt.) the line was a winner in the wind on the island,and I would have happily fished this very line on my 8wt.NRX.
    Firstly, though I also have cold water specialty salt lines, I regularly fish tropical lines here in the North East for strippers and albies when the water is warm as it currently is, no problem. And, now that RIO has introduced DirectCore Bonefish, with the same technology as Flats Pro but in the truer weight and great Bonefish taper, you have a line to aspire toward for Meridian and your #7 (210 grain actual #8) can go on an 8- wt. rod. I'm running the new DC Bonefish #8 on my NRX #8 and it is the best line yet I've fished on this favorite of mine.

Thanks sweetandsalt,I have been looking forward to the Direct Core Bonefish line and in retrospect would have preferred it to the Flats Pro.IMHO it's the line Rio should have made in the first place,but never mind.....

1full size heavy Flats Pro was intended to supplant similar weight Permit as the line-of-choice for SALT HD. I run Permit on my original SALT and this series of rods is designed around these heavy lines. While most of my bonefish rods are better with RIO Bonefish and now the DC version, my new last spring Stickman T8 likes an actual true to weight 210 grain line. I fish it with SA Amplitude Bonefish, fine, but the next time I have the privilege of fishing the tropical flats I intend to mount 210 gr. #7 Flats Pro (dam what the box says) on its Ross Evo R/S. I'm enthusiastic about this match up, however, in the sprit of this ongoing thread, there is another new, not yet sampled by me, bonefish line of true weight from Cortland and it will be in the mix too.

7. Default Re: New Flats Fly Lines

Quote Originally Posted by camelbrass View Post
    Try the SA Mastery Tarpon Taper for a true to weight 10wt tropical line. The head isn’t as long as say their bonefish taper but it’s a pretty good compromise. I’ve got it on my T and T Sextant Bamboo and like it a lot.

Regards,

Trevor
    I'd never heard of Sextant Bamboo - an expensive habit!!

Since posting my question there have been postings about Wullf on the Flylines forum.

My choice for a longer head, true weight #10 is the Mastery Tarpon, the Orvis HD bonefish (available in #10), the Cortland Tarpon or the Bermuda TT which I already use in other weights and is consequently the safe bet. Wish I had the opportunity to cast all of them!!

That eliminates Rio somewhat arbitrarily but already too much choice.

Don't get too arbitrary and look at RIO's Technical Tarpon.

sweetandsalt,given your comments re the heavier lines (for their weight designation) like Flats Pro and Permit being more suited to the stiffer Sage rods like the Salt,Salt HD and even the Method,might it not be a good marketing move by the company to mention that? Surely this would assist in clarifying the confusion out there in consumer land.

10. Default Re: New Flats Fly Lines

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Don't get too arbitrary and look at RIO's Technical Tarpon.
    That's the 60ft head right? Outside my comfort zone without any opportunity to try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    sweetandsalt,given your comments re the heavier lines (for their weight designation) like Flats Pro and Permit being more suited to the stiffer Sage rods like the Salt,Salt HD and even the Method,might it not be a good marketing move by the company to mention that? Surely this would assist in clarifying the confusion out there in consumer land.
    For the most part, RIO, SA and Cortland provide taper diagrams with sectional lengths and 30' head weight in grains, often overall head lengths and weight too. I am not a fan of full size over weight lines but fractional ones are often useful in fine tuning. As more diversity and data are offered by these line makers I experience advantages in tuning rod - line mattings but it also suggests we become more aware and sophisticated about lines. It ain't just WF and DT anymore...but you know that.

The main reason line companies are reluctant to suggest lines for rods is two fold. First, they make many lines and some are performance oriented for skilled anglers, often with longer, compound tapers and extended rear tapers and second they also produce short blunt head lines for anglers less understanding about rod loading and line carrying. Yes, it is there belief, though they would never pronounce this in public, that many of us can't cast particularly well butt they want us to go fishing anyway.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast