8wt vs 9wt for inshore species

jdavid71

Reaction score
Im really starting to get into this sport and want to start fly fishing in saltwater. Whats a good rod weight for saltwater use. Im mostly targeting reds, snook, maybe some permit, baby tarpon, bonefish, and speckled trout. What is a good rod weight for these species, i guess kind of an all around setup is what im looking for.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
IMO, both can be good all around, and neither will necessarily be better than the other. I have both weights & a 10 wt. All 3 have a time & place depending on situations & conditions. Generally, the bigger the flies, bigger the fish & the worse the wind conditions the heavier I'll go. Most of the time any of the 3 could be my rod of choice, and it doesn't matter which I might choose, they'll all serve the purpose. Beyond that, it becomes a matter of which I may want to use on a given day.

I would have to check which weighs more, but I don't get too concerned about the actual weight of each, however that may be a consideration for some folks. Again, speaking generally a lighter outfit, that is properly balanced might be more comfortable to use all day. That's not what I consider when I choose to go fishing, but everyone is different.

Also, between those two weights, depending on the exact model rods, either will likely throw either weight line, as most rods will cast lines that may be heavier or lighter than what the rod manufacturer specifies.

If possible, your best bet is to cast different rods in those weights & determine which best suits you & your style of casting. The choice may simply boil down to which one you like to cast the best.

wolfglen

Reaction score
Hmm, which rod to use for which, That is the question!
The problem is that most rods are rated for the line they will cast and not for the fish they will fight.

I've seen 7 wts. with more fight fighting backbone than some 9 wts.
I've seen 9 wts that cast better with sevens. It 's a jungle out there!

Jack

captainkraken

Reaction score
I use an 8wt for inshore... Reds, trout, pompano, flounder, small jacks, bonitas, blues, and bull reds in open water with a boat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldskewl808

Reaction score
It depends on what you are using for tippet. If you tend to fish the lighter stuff like 12 pound then go 8wt. If you are going to use 16, or 20 then go with the 9wt. I'm saying whatever is the lightest leader you plan on fishing then if you go too light for your rod weight then you won't have enought tippet protection and will just end up breaking off fish.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
As all have said, one rod won't do it all and this is true. But I would start with the 9-weight because it can do the light and medium lifting required for the fish you refer to. Fall in love with fly fishing the salt and you'll wind up with #7, 8 and 10 in short order.

saltybum

Reaction score
Gotta agree with the above. I have several 8wts and find them more fun with smaller fish and have landed a 40-42 inch red ( almost spooled ) wading. A 9 might get tiring if casting a lot over an 8. As said once addicted to the salt you will increase the arsenal. :D

runningfish

Reaction score
I just got back from my first ever guided flat fishing trip for redfish and seatrouts in Orlando, FL. I used rods provided by the guide for that trip a 5wt Sage Salt and 7wt Hardy Proaxis. Most of the red caught were in 5-6 pound class nothing in the bull size class and I used the 5wt Sage Salt with 15# tippet. It was sufficient to control running reds and at the same time having fun fighting them and not over playing them. So I think a properly balance tackle can get more jobs done.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Either one can bring in the fish. The more apt question is, how much wind do you usually have to fight in the places you are most likely to be fishing? The heavier the wind, the heavier the line you need to cast through it.

jamato

Reaction score
Great question,, after 25 yrs of using 9 wts, I SWITCHED 3 Yrs ago to 8 wts. Much happier, There are so many good rods out there reasonably priced ,, I think I must have literally tried 20". Settled on a mystic tremor And a Scott s4s,, But the bvk, axiom ,, Ross all were good around 200 . Also the newer lines and Rod designs are so good that I see a 9 wt as just extra wt. best of luck

I

ikankecil

If only one, probably an 8. That said, I have a whole bunch of 7's and rarely string up the 8's anymore. You can pull pretty hard on 12# tippet before it snaps ;)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I see the choice being mostly about fly size/weight. If I am mostly fishing unweigted or bead chain eyes, I go with an 8-weight. If lead dumbbell weighted flies are the norm, a 9-weight. We'll visit family in Florida next month and hope to get a day or two fishing Biscayne Bay; I plan on bringing a brace of 9-weights.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I see the choice being mostly about fly size/weight. If I am mostly fishing unweigted or bead chain eyes, I go with an 8-weight. If lead dumbbell weighted flies are the norm, a 9-weight. We'll visit family in Florida next month and hope to get a day or two fishing Biscayne Bay; I plan on bringing a brace of 9-weights.
Where would you say a 10 wt. falls in the pecking order of SW rods ?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Where would you say a 10 wt. falls in the pecking order of SW rods ?
Two of my saltiest friends, fishing for bass and albies here in the Northeast, prefer 10-weights as they will handle any wind, throw any fly up to big bunker and herring patterns and are so much lighter and easier to cast than #10's of old. I still am inclined to fish a #9 off Montauk which I like better and am rarely fishing into the cold, early December time when the bigger flies are more important. Fishing bay anchovy imitating Albiwhores and Jelly Fish, the 9-weight get the job done with grace.

This may be more for the Rod Forum than here but there are 9-weights and 9-weights. Steve Rajeff was expanding on this at the Somerset Show while talking about decisions he had to make designing Asquith. Saltwater intended #7 and 8-weights are usually biased toward tip precision...think dry fly rods for the flats...for accurately presenting smaller flats-type flies. 10-weights are geared in their taper for throwing larger payloads, big striper flies, tarpon, big jacks, heavy crabs for big permit... Designing a 9-weight taper can go either way; presentation precision or heavy duty. He elected to go with flats precision for Asquith #9 which, though I have yet to cast it, is my theoretical preference. This may make it a less optimal choice for angling with large, heavy and wind resistant flies which a #10 may be better for anyway. I have three #9's in current service; Sage SALT which is my crab fly for permit and big, deeper flats bones rod, new Douglas SKY which is a cross-over for that use or quick presenting to albies which I love, and an earlier deeper flexing Orvis Trident meat stick for less precise, clunker applications. I am planning on bringing the SKY to Florida.

eastfly66

Reaction score
My stickman T8 is designed/cast like you described a fast tip flats rod. My other choices are a Trident TL Mid flex #9 and an original Horizon #10. I'm trying to optimize what I have and determine what goes where. I only have an old Orvis 10 wt. line to test them out , except for the Stickman which I have a Rio Bonefish and it cast great , just not sure about casting clousers with it all day long ? I don't think that is what Akos had in mind in the design. Sounds right for the Albies thou ?