'cuda and bonnetheads

1spd1way

Reaction score
While in Islamorada last year, I had bonnet head sharks "tailing " me wherever I went. Somewhere, someone mentioned that they were a fun distraction while on the flats...
How do you handle one when releasing them?
Same for Large barracuda. How do you hold and release them?
I rigged up with a 10 wt helios (for fish bigger than bones), and hope to cast for these toothy critters.

labradorguy

Reaction score
I carry a large pair of Channellock needle nose pliers. Don't mess around with dainty hemos. You need something that can really grab onto the hook so you can pop it out with a twist of the wrist and get them quickly on their way. The little bonnetheads aren't bad, but 'cudas are a different story. A big cuda flopping around on the deck can slash your leg in a heartbeat if you aren't paying attention. Think of those teeth as box cutters. :)

chechem

Reaction score
The big barracuda (~20 lbs or bigger) practically die in the fight. Often they are slugs once they finish their runs. They can be handled like many other fish. The smaller barracudas are more difficult. Usually you can hold them behind the head with one hand, allowing the weight of the fish to hang vertically. They are much worse to handle on the floor of a boat, due to slashing (as said above).

Indeed, needle-nosed pliers. I buy a big pair of them, and wear them in a sheath. You need to be able to grab them without walking around while holding a fish. Keep them at your side. Most any place has the cheap, elongate Chinese 'fishing pliers' that are expendable; usually the salt water ruins them after a trip anyhow.

Never trust the little sharks. They are strong enough to twist and get you. Common error is reaching down into the water to pull the fly free with pliers. They'll suddenly twist and snap (not good for hands!).

First rule: Let the guide handle the fish.

If alone, be careful. Be very careful.

labradorguy

Reaction score
The big barracuda (~20 lbs or bigger) practically die in the fight. Often they are slugs once they finish their runs. They can be handled like many other fish.
I have a nice scar on my leg that says you may want to keep an eye on the big ones too. A six footer flopped and nailed me.... and he did it with a spear through the back of his head.

Bonnethead

Not a Bonnethead

A four footer did this...

I'd avoid junky pliers. Usually they barely work when they are new, let alone after salt use. You need them loose enough to be able to work with one hand. Take them fishing then drop them in an old coffee can with used oil in it and they will be fine for the next trip.

Handle with care. :)

1spd1way

Reaction score
Yikes! Thanks for the replies.
We will be wading some flats off the beach near where we are staying.
That last picture...makes me wonder....

chechem

Reaction score
I was talking about large barracuda exhausted from fighting a hookup, not barracuda stuck with a spear.

I agree that pliers must work easily, opening quickly with one hand.

Have fun, be careful, and hire a guide.

labradorguy

Reaction score
I was talking about large barracuda exhausted from fighting a hookup, not barracuda stuck with a spear.
I caught that one on the rod with a tube. He was played out. I shot him with the spear to get him in the boat easier. I was planning on keeping him to use as bait so the hole in his head didn't matter... :) The point I was making was that he was totally worn out PLUS shot in the head and he still nailed my leg. Don't assume anything with those big teeth on your deck.

I wouldn't sweat fishing for them 1spd. Just be smart about it and realize that you are not fishing for little trout or bluegills. These fish require your full attention. :)

When are you going to be down?

There are some nice flats down off of Long Key. It's just a couple miles further down from where you are. East of the island, there are lots of opportunities for bones. Park and wade fishing, no boat required. There are a lot of little sharks and cudas cruising in front of the campground too.

1spd1way

Reaction score
We will be down March 18-28. Mile marker 73.5-74. Rented a house on the intercoastal, walking distance to the home association beach.
We'll be hiring a guide for one day and DIY the rest. my wife started spin fishing last year so we'll be combining both Ff and spin.
Thanks again for the tips. Going to buy some long nose pliers...the price of saltwater pliers sends me into shock. :)

wolfglen

Reaction score
We will be down March 18-28. Mile marker 73.5-74. Rented a house on the intercoastal, walking distance to the home association beach.
We'll be hiring a guide for one day and DIY the rest. my wife started spin fishing last year so we'll be combining both Ff and spin.
Thanks again for the tips. Going to buy some long nose pliers...the price of saltwater pliers sends me into shock. :)

Hopefully you already know this, but fight the temptation to wade barefoot even when it seems all sand! There are stingrays, sea urchins, oyster shells, broken beer bottles, broken coral and all kinds f stuff just below the surface. The worst of all are oyster and coral cuts. I remember the time when I was a kid and I got coral poisoning on my feet, fire ant bites on my hands and ankles, legs and a bad case of poison ivy all at one time. Thank got I wasn't sunburned too!

Remember, how fully you live life is directly proportional to the number to trips made to the ER!!!!

wjc

Reaction score
Small Cuda are actually pretty easy to deal with. Very rarely are they deep hooked. As said previously, don't lay them down. If you are right-handed hold them vertically by the leader with your left hand, wet your right hand and grab them from the back just behind the gill covers.

Then gently slide your thumb and fingers under the innermost gill down to near the rear junction of their jaw bones, and grip them firmly. There are no teeth back that far in case your fingers and thumb go too far and wind up touching. They will immediately calm down, quit thrashing, and not gnash their teeth.

Cudas are muscular and their skins are very slimy, so this grip is the best to use on them since it best immobilizes their heads and jaws and does not remove their protective slime the way towels do.

I learned this technique well before reaching the age of double digits. In those days my dad and I and one of his buddies used to troll strips of mullet on three tandem 6/0 hooks. The danger of being attached by a loose 6/0 hook to a thrashing, snapping Cuda head was greater than that of their teeth alone. That technique eliminated that risk as well.

Being Catholic, we ate fish every Friday at a minimum, and those were my dad's preferred fish since they were good eating and so easy to catch year round.