turks and caicos

holywaters_ca

Reaction score
Debating heading down to the Turks and Caicos. I've heard both good and bad about the bone fishing down there. I'd appreciate some advice or input.

duker

Reaction score
My spouse and I are planning a trip down there next Jan-Feb, and I'm planning on doing some DIY bonefishing. Have you checked out Rod Hamilton's "Do it Yourself Bonefishing", either the book or website? He's got lots of great tips for TCI (and other locations), including where to stay and where to fish. It looks surprisingly do-able.

Scott

aboudreaux

Reaction score
Not sure what you heard that was bad about the fishing there? I went last year and it was excellent. I highly recommend Capt. Will Vallely (Bonefish Unlimited) if you are going to book a guide. If you are going to DIY and staying on Providenciales then you need to take the ferry to one of the other islands (North or Middle Caicos). Most of Provo is Wildlife Refuge so off-limits to fishing but there are some areas that are accessible. Good size and numbers, also not very pressured so they are not as skittish as other locales. I would highly recommend T&C but it is pricey and not a budget location.

jgentile

Reaction score
Just off of Provo there is a small cay (key) known as Pine Cay. On it is a privately owned club called the Meridian Club. The rates are reasonable and it is a small (12 cottages) all inclusive very laid back resort. Great snorkeling, shelling opportunities for the family, etc., etc. I've been there twice and its' main draw is mature (30-100) couples looking to chill and be pampered.

The great part is the back side of the island has incredible bone fishing opportunities and the fishing can be directly chartered by the staff. It has been many, many years since I've been there but it use to be very lightly pressured as the only fishing allowed was for the guests and staff. There are also ample opportunities to target other species.

Go get yourself access to a private bonefish flat. Private Island Resort - Turks & Caicos | The Meridian Club

willyf

Reaction score
Avoid Silver Deep in Providenciales. My Dad and I had a poor experience with them in late 2004 (so things could have changed, but I doubt it--their website hasn't changed).

We did two half days. The first went well enough. My Dad caught a smallish bonefish, though it was sheer luck. We almost ran over the fish and my dad flipped the fly at it just in time. We had some shots, but the fishing wasn't anything special.

We went with the same guide on the second day, and his inexperience really started to show. He got us stuck back in a lagoon because he wasn't paying attention to the tide. When he finally got us up on plane, he ran the boat into the mangroves (no damage, but too close of a call).

After that, he decided to make a long run against the tide/wind to another spot--trying to make up for the wasted time in the lagoon. But by the time we got to the next spot, the sun was low and fish spotting was near impossible. We fished for an hour or so unsuccessfully and then went back. The tide and wind had shifted, so we got beat up even worse on the way back. We were soaked, wind burnt, and sore with nothing to show for it.

We really hadn't had any decent shots. That happens when you waste more than half of a half day trip. The part that made us really sore was that the rates were exorbitant. I think they were asking something like $750 for a full day--and this was in 2004. The half day was probably in the $400-$500 range if I remember correctly. When a guide is charging that much, you expect a top notch experience.

We booked the two half days based on an advertised discount--booking multiple trips would get you something like 20% off your second trip (my memory is foggy). When we mentioned the discount, we were told that it didn't apply and that they could give us a free t-shirt instead. The woman running the show, Paola, was extremely rude about it.

We couldn't press the issue much more because she had to give us a ride back to our hotel. My Dad and I have probably fished with numerous guides, and only once have we had a worse experience (guide showed up late and smelling like booze in the Keys). A lot of people have great things to say about Silver Deep, so maybe we caught them on a bad few days. Still, I'd look for someone else or DIY.

Last edited:

aboudreaux

Reaction score
Avoid Silver Deep in Providenciales

If nothing else please heed this warning. Two members of our group went with this outfit one day and it sounded like the worst day of fishing ever. They said the "captain" was an hour late and just sat there the whole time. Didn't even try and put them on any fish.

Bcuzzocrea

Reaction score
Not sure what you heard that was bad about the fishing there? I went last year and it was excellent. I highly recommend Capt. Will Vallely (Bonefish Unlimited) if you are going to book a guide. If you are going to DIY and staying on Providenciales then you need to take the ferry to one of the other islands (North or Middle Caicos). Most of Provo is Wildlife Refuge so off-limits to fishing but there are some areas that are accessible. Good size and numbers, also not very pressured so they are not as skittish as other locales. I would highly recommend T&C but it is pricey and not a budget location.
I second this! Capt Will is awesome. The Turks and Caicos fishery is extremely under the radar. The bone fishing there is spectacular (with a good guide) DIY it might not be the best but Capt Will can you put you on massive amounts of fish and some large ones at that. Chances at tarpon and permit too.