The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Saltwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bonefish, redfish, tarpon, permit and other saltwater species.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  58
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-08-2017, 08:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonefishing is hard! A Cayman Islands Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
I spent two half days on a boat with a guide in the Keys fishing for Bones. We saw a total of one pod made one cast and no luck. Bonefish are still a fish on my list.
The Keys used to have lots more bonefish then they do today but even when they did, those way above average big boys where among the more difficult to feed fish I have ever encountered. Some two decades ago I was tarpon fishing in the backcountry behind Islamorada in a "lake" surrounded by shallower turtle grass flats. We saw a tail, a big tail, come up and poled after it. Turned out to be a group of three bonefish in the, and I am not kidding, 14 pound class. We followed them for what seemed like all day (perhaps 45 min.) and did not spook them nor did I ever get in a good enough position to make a serious presentation to them either. They were very exciting to observe and essentially impossible to catch.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Tailwalk7 is on a distinguished road

Love bones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 PM

just4grins has a spectacular aura aboutjust4grins has a spectacular aura aboutjust4grins has a spectacular aura about

My wife and I fished Little Cayman when there were only 39 permanent residents there. It appears all the tourism and townhouses have spooked the bones. Also, we went in July, really hot, the weather, no other fishermen, but huge schools of bones. On my first day I hooked up 26 bones. Once again it appears that once a place is discovered it goes down hill.
A shame.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes wf0 liked this post
Old 09-05-2017, 04:46 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Bonefish and development or human activity in general are not compatible. Bonefish graze flats, they don't have a specific pattern or territory as, if the did, they would deplete their finite prey specie supply, so they roam. Therefore they are unpredictable, though they do favor specific depths and tide phases' as the shallow water protects them from their tooth predators.

They are quite primitive and have genetic memory going back to when there were serious avian predators, not mere osprey but these raptors dinosaur ancestors. So bonefish spook very easily in response to motion from above, or below or sideways...they are just born spooky. The crunch of a push pool, the scrape of a wading boot, tidal slap against boat chines, sounds you generate in whatever you are doing are transmitted to them and makes them nervous.

The key is to hunt for bones in as remote and unpressured quality habitat as possible and present your crustacean imitation to them from as far away as you accurately can. Many hope to combine a family or couples tropical vacation with bonefishing and I have had but minor success in this process. So, I travel to out islands in the Bahamas, stay in bonefish camps and run considerable distances in skiffs to find fish unmolested by man. I fish quality, dedicated tackle and learn its properties intimately so I can cast to these great fish at distance; minimum 50' and preferably longer. I can't do this too regularly as it is costly and after 6 days of hard core bonefishing, my wife likes to cap off the experience staying in a nice resort in Nassau for a weekend prior to boarding our flight back to the States...more money.

I suppose 80 some % of my fishing is dry flies for wild trout and I am very happy on a great river with sharp 5-weight. But bonefishing sharpens an anglers skills and awareness like no other form of fly fishing and I dearly love it. I have pursued these remarkable fish since the 1980's and hope it remains feasible for me to continue to do so, even for one week a year, as long as my eyesight and ability to cast an 8-weight permits. I have an old friend, now in his late 70's, who commented to me in the western section of the North Bight that it has taken him his whole life to be able to cast a whole fly line but now he can't see that far.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 09-05-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes smp005, duker liked this post
Old 09-05-2017, 06:14 PM

smp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the rough

"I have an old friend, now in his late 70's, who commented to me in the western section of the North Bight that it has taken him his whole life to be able to cast a whole fly line but now he can't see that far."
Much like me - when I had the time to travel and fish, I could not afford it - now that I can afford to travel and fish I can't find the time!! Argh!!!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 11:34 AM

oldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really nice

I am also a fan... Click the image to open in full size.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes smp005 liked this post
Old 09-06-2017, 11:45 AM

smp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewl808 View Post
I am also a fan... Click the image to open in full size.

Very nice !!!

I have two full days in Honolulu this November on my way to CXI - hoping I might end up with a picture like that :-)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 PM

oldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
Very nice !!!

I have two full days in Honolulu this November on my way to CXI - hoping I might end up with a picture like that :-)

Did you book a guide? Or are you going to DIY.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:58 PM

I haven't made any plans yet..
Old 09-08-2017, 09:41 AM

I've not been to Hawaii and I imagin DIY bonefishing would be a fun side-bar to a pig roast and hula skirt dancers. Still, I'd let someone else roast the piglet, dance in the grass skirts and, if I wanted to find bonefish during a two day stint, hire a guide. One might find a bigger bone in Hawaii than in Christmas Island...if not as many.