Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  60
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bonefishing is hard! A Cayman Islands Report

Default Re: Bonefishing is hard! A Cayman Islands Report

If you relied on bonefish for food, you would soon starve to death.

Quote Originally Posted by just4grins View Post
    If you relied on bonefish for food, you would soon starve to death.
    Those that do, subsistence living, net them.....which is mostly illegal now I believe even in the islands.

When folks have finite financial resources but live around water, they are going to rely on the sea for food as have their ancestors. No species protective legislation will deter a fisherman from providing sea food to his family whether bonefish, sea turtles, conch over-harvesting or whatever. Near remote settlements in the Bahamas, conch shell piles are huge and bonefish can be scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    "I have an old friend, now in his late 70's, who commented to me in the western section of the North Bight that it has taken him his whole life to be able to cast a whole fly line but now he can't see that far."

Much like me - when I had the time to travel and fish, I could not afford it - now that I can afford to travel and fish I can't find the time!! Argh!!!!!
    Yep, and you know the rest of that phrase; when you have money and time, i.e. retirement, you won't have the energy/body to wade the flats much.
    "We said there warn't no home like a raft, after all. Other places do seem so cramped up and smothery, but a raft don't. You feel mighty free and easy and comfortable on a raft."
    - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Bonefish in the Laguna Madre and the rise of tropical species on the Texas coast

I may not have to travel very far for bones if this trend continues.

I'm beginning to realize how lucky I am to live where I live. I can be on Biscayne Bay in a little more than an hour or Key Largo in three hours. I've never caught - or even seen - a bonefish, but I really want to try. Now all I need is some good weather ...

Quote Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
    I'm beginning to realize how lucky I am to live where I live. I can be on Biscayne Bay in a little more than an hour or Key Largo in three hours. I've never caught - or even seen - a bonefish, but I really want to try. Now all I need is some good weather ...
    There are a number of good guides who know Biscayne well. I've only fished there a handful of times, typically when the wife and I visit her elderly mother in Delray. Given a stretch of warm, clear, calmish weather, this is a fine time to fish there. There is no such thing as a guarantee bonefishing, but you will get shots. Rig you 9-weight with a long leader and a fuzzy crab fly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234