Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redfish outfit

Default Re: Redfish outfit

Depends on where you fish, in Florida an 7 or 8. Louisiana 9 or 10. I fished Louisiana this past December, smallest redfish put in the boat was 26 lbs. Never took the 8wt out of the case. We were using 9' 10wt Meridians stripping 5"~6" Clouser/Whister patterns.

2. Likes karstopo, brownbass, tex68w liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
    Depends on where you fish, in Florida an 7 or 8. Louisiana 9 or 10. I fished Louisiana this past December, smallest redfish put in the boat was 26 lbs. Never took the 8wt out of the case. We were using 9' 10wt Meridians stripping 5"~6" Clouser/Whister patterns.
    Hmmm! Louisiana is closer. I was considering a nine weight as it may be more versatile in the salt. I probably wouldn't be fishing from a boat much, at least at first until I can get a better idea of where I wind up. I know my way around bass boats and canoes so maybe I can rent something.

Bill

Without a boat or some sort of watercraft it's going to be next to impossible from what I have seen, at least in Louisiana. For me if redfish is your target Louisiana is the best fishery in the world. Massive fish and lots of them.

5. Default Re: Redfish outfit

Bob hit it right on the head. It depends. There are reds and there are reds. For slot-size fish in a foot or two of water, my ten-foot 7wt is perfect, but for the 30-50 pound behemoths that are running right now in Virginia, it'd be nuts to use anything lighter than a 10, and a 12 would be even better. Your best bet would be to use your uncertainty to buy yourself an arsenal of various rods before your wife gets wind of it and puts the screws to you. You'll suffer, and you'll suffer plenty, but at least you'll be prepared for any situation once your bruises heal.

6. Likes tx_newb liked this post
  7. Default Re: Redfish outfit

Condition and location dependent, for sure. Most of what I do is short-range sight fishing on spartina grass flats. This means shallow, clear water with no meaningful hazards. For that context, a rod that is accurate in tight and can make a relatively delicate presentation is perfect. I typically fish a Loomis Shorestalker 7wt when I'm wading the flats. It can and has handled big fish (up to 30-35 lbs), but would be wildly inappropriate for targeting them in the surf or going after bulls in the inlet mouths or nearshore reefs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12